Rocket League/Steam issues with Xbox 360 controller

Where the community helps the community! Post any technical issues you experience here.

Rocket League/Steam issues with Xbox 360 controller

Postby OurHero on Fri May 17, 2019 8:05 am

Please help, as the game is unplayable and I am slowly withering away.

Starting about a month ago and without any manual changes, Steam now shows a message everytime I start Rocket League. The message usually reads "CONFIG LOADED: Rocket League Standard Controls", although I believe I have seen variations.

At the same time all my bindings were reset to default.
Going to 'Options > Controls > View/Change bindings' in the Rocket League menu now minimizes the game and opens Steam Controller Configurator instead of the in-game interface.
With some trouble I managed to set my bindings back the way I want them and have them stay that way, but I now suffer from very high input delay. Approximately 200-300ms.
Edit: Starting the game in offline mode once again resets the bindings to default.

The issue remains if I log in to my account on another computer, while logging in to a friends account on my computer and using all the same hardware does not suffer the same issue.
Edit: My account regardless of which computer I'm on has the "CONFIG LOADED:"-pop up from steam. My friends account does not.

Therefore the issue is likely related to my steam settings or rocket league account settings.
What is causing it and how do I fix it?

Thank you for all attempted solutions!
OurHero
Supersonic

Re: Rocket League/Steam issues with Xbox 360 controller

Postby Tentacles on Fri May 17, 2019 1:37 pm

So I've had a somewhat similar problem. I simply disabled steam controller settings. If you are using steam controller settings for a squared deadzone you can simply use aerial and ground sensitivity to do that by putting the sensitivity to 1.35. Lastly a new cable and or controller could be needed, if the port isn't getting proper connection input delay will happen more and more often.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby OurHero on Sat May 18, 2019 12:09 pm

Thank you Tentacles! That resolved the issue this time around and has my controller more responsive than I ever remember it being!
I tried disabling controller config support before, which then caused the game to not recognize the controller at all. This time I first disabled the 'Steam overlay while in-game', which in itself improved the input lag to an agreeable level, but still redirected from bindings to the Steam Controller Configurator.

The fix: Disabled 'Steam overlay while in-game', then disabled 'XBOX configuration support', and finally enabled Steam overlay again (applying changes and starting/stopping the game for every change). I also adjusted ground and aerial sensitivity to 1.35 as Tentacles recommended. Big thanks!
OurHero
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Sat May 18, 2019 12:29 pm

Glad to hear you found a good work around!
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Return to Help and Support