Boosting

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Boosting

Postby Terminator775 on Tue May 07, 2019 2:56 am

Ok so I dont know if this is a proper place to open a topic if its not remove it or put it as a post on a appopriate topic cuz im new still.

The thing I want to talk about is boosting as it says in the title.
Since the season end is near, every SINGLE game I get lower ranked players than me queueing up with higher ranked players. Im currently dia2 (was dia3 not long ago) and the reason I fell out of it is just this. This is getting more frequent and out of hand really. Most of the tactics are, 2 good players, who boost the "bad" player, play and the "Bad" one is just sitting at the goal. Mostly those are like plats or high golds (which is still odd to have in dia elo) but NOTHING tops the one I had like half an hour ago. A FREAKING SILVER player is being boosted by dia3/champ?? Ok so the reason I opened this topic is i just cant handle this stuff anymore, this is basically a pledge to Psyonix/Epic games to do something about this stuff because its so unfair and annoying to us who SOLO got there. I worked and trained hard for my rank, wasnt boosted by anyone yet this keeps happening to me. Anyone else has the same problem?
Terminator775
Supersonic

Steam ID: terminator7754
Region: EU

Re: Boosting

Postby Tentacles on Tue May 07, 2019 9:51 am

Ya Diamond you are going to see a lot of boosters. There isn't really much you can do about it, except take the challenge and improve. It's that way every end of season.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Spiffers on Tue May 07, 2019 1:32 pm

Especially at the high end of Diamond, you should generally have the advantage - as soon as players start to get into Champ, they start having matchmaking work as if their whole party are champ players. There's actually a decent chance that the one being 'boosted' in some of these cases is actually the high diamond player. It's also just a matter of sometimes people want to play with their friends, and now that the end of the season is approaching, more people are saying "let's just play ranked, it can only help at this point", so some people who are behind on their rank earnings will just play ranked to get what they can out of it. Or so I'd surmise - I'm just thinking about possibilities logically that may drive someone to do this.

The most important thing here is that - Especially if you're solo-queuing - you should have the overall advantage in most of these games, due to the nature of the matchmaker bumping up their MMR because their a team, so your team will actually have a higher overall skill.
Spiffers
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby Scyonite on Wed May 08, 2019 3:58 am

Not only Spiffers mentioned mechanic helps. But also the fact that more people are playing/queueing up for ranked now. This means the system inflates at a higher rate, which does net you some "free" MMR over the course of the last few days if you are to play a sufficient amount of matches. I don't play a particular high amount of ranked matches. At the start of the season I was at around 1400 MMR. Now, with very comparable skill (have been playing less, so not much, if any, improvement) I got up to 1479 in the last week. When I queue up just a few days before the season ends I might just hit GC because of the inflation lol.
But at least Vanilla Scyonite is an OG Scyonite LLC.™ product
1337 Scyonite fizzly products LLC.™ - I am affiliated with myself
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Scyonite

Postby Terminator775 on Thu May 16, 2019 2:09 am

Thank you for your replies.

As far as I can manage, you are saying that I as a solo player have the advantage over a party thats bosting?

Im currently doing my promos and I my first 5 games out of 10 were wins, now Im at 8 games and those remaining 3 were losses, GUESS WHY?
Its really unbelievable, this happens in every game that has ranks I suppose. I see at the end screen that my mmr is around dia2/3 like i was when season ended. I have yet those 2 to play and see what rank im getting but im guessing dia1 or 2 again..

Anyways, thanks again for your replies, I can just hope I wont see boosters so frequently if not again lul
Terminator775
Supersonic

Steam ID: terminator7754

Postby Scyonite on Thu May 16, 2019 4:02 am

Terminator775 wrote:As far as I can manage, you are saying that I as a solo player have the advantage over a party thats bosting?

When one of the boosters is in Champion with regard to their current MMR matchmaking prefers to versus them with other Champs, which reduces your chances of finding such a match. If one of the boosters is either not calibrated, and has lower MMR than they should have, or if they're not Champ yet you might expect a harder to a neutral time.

The mechanics we describe that help are mainly indirect ones, which keep your MMR level. If you're in a match with a booster/boosted and you're not Champ it's at best going to be a coin toss, given the booster/boosted know what they're doing.
But at least Vanilla Scyonite is an OG Scyonite LLC.™ product
1337 Scyonite fizzly products LLC.™ - I am affiliated with myself
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Scyonite

Postby Spiffers on Thu May 16, 2019 1:55 pm

And I want to reiterate - this is only true for Diamond 3 and (maybe) Diamond 2 players. Anything lower than that, or uncalibrated players, and anything can happen. Just due to the champion matchmaking exception, D3s and D2s are much less likely to get hit by teams that are stronger than them in the form of 2 champ 2s and a Gold 1 - that's not how the MM works at that point. It'll match those 2 C2 and G1 against a full C2 lineup
Spiffers
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Return to General Discussion