Open Crates by Scoring Goals

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Open Crates by Scoring Goals

Postby wildmonkeycar on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:58 pm

Hello, fellow Rocketeers!

By now, it should be clear that the majority of players dislike the new crate opening animation. Compared to the old animation, it lacks suspense, flare, and the overall excitement of getting a rare item. So, what could be done about this, barring the return of the old animation?

My suggestion would be one of two things:

1: Put the player in a field with a ball. Upon scoring the ball, the item you get explodes onto the field with the appropriate colored lights shining behind it. The camera could then zoom in on the item for the player to view, allowing them to choose to either equip the item or move on to the next crate. This method would allow the player to get creative and try to score in various creative ways, making the opening feel more personal.

2: Show the player a short animation of their car scoring an epic goal, with the item exploding forth in a similar manner stated above. While less fun, I feel this would be the more practical option, and would make crate opening go at a consistent pace, as opposed to requiring the player to score, first

I feel both of these options would greatly improve the crate opening experience, and would better represent the game as a whole. But please, feel free to critique my idea, and hopefully Psyonix takes notice! :yaypsyonix:
wildmonkeycar
Supersonic

Steam ID: wildmonkeycar
Region: United States

Re: Open Crates by Scoring Goals

Postby Scyonite on Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:28 am

I think Psyonix created the new animation in an effort to disassociate their lootbboxes from gambling. Your thread is the perfect example of the predatory, misleading and dopamine-inducing gambling slot style animation doing what it's expected to be doing. I don't think it should fit in games unless the game is recognized as an actual gambling game with an 18+ tag at the very least. You do realize that the slot animation was "rigged" right? The reward was determined at the start of the animation. The animation itself is just a nice way of you viewing what you get, creating some (false) sense of suspense.

Coming back to your suggestions. I don't think your suggestions would in any way, shape or form be tied up with gambling. I'm all for it, it seems way more immersive. The only downside to 1) could be that multiple openings would become a bit of a chore to some. 2) remedies that. Maybe a choice in the menu that allows you to set the default opening sequence would be useful here.
[how about no(t maybe) because GreenMachine said yes]
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby wildmonkeycar on Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:49 am

Scyonite wrote:Coming back to your suggestions. I don't think your suggestions would in any way, shape or form be tied up with gambling. I'm all for it, it seems way more immersive. The only downside to 1) could be that multiple openings would become a bit of a chore to some. 2) remedies that. Maybe a choice in the menu that allows you to set the default opening sequence would be useful here.

I actually do know the dangers of such a system! Being 22 myself, I simply enjoyed doing crate openings with friends. Once the animation changed, that all got to be pretty dull. It also crossed my mind that maybe using multiple keys to get multiple rewards in one goal could be a cool idea, as that would speed up the process dramatically
wildmonkeycar
Supersonic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:17 am

The slot machine thing just never really appealed to me, at all.

That is due to some combination of my aptitude for math, coupled with a recognition that I tend to have horrible luck with such things, most of the time.
I have friends who have had much better luck with it than I have, so I can see how it would appeal to certain people.
I just happen to not be one of those people.

I don't even use my decryptors anymore because I have never gotten anything I actually wanted to keep, with the few I have used.
The adage "Free is a great price" only applies to something you actually WANT in the first place.
To that end, I earn keys through trading up, then save them until I have enough to trade for an item I actually want.
I just recently bought both Dissolver and Fire God, on the same day, using some of the "free" keys I've earned in this manner.

To me, that is a much more satisfying experience than playing the slotto game will ever offer me, regardless of the animation(s) used.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Postby Tentacles on Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:09 pm

Psyonix giving out free items isn't smart in a business way. Also, this would increase ball chasing.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby wildmonkeycar on Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Tentacles wrote:Psyonix giving out free items isn't smart in a business way. Also, this would increase ball chasing.

Please read the post before responding... I said that once a crate and key are selected, the player is put into an arena in a similar manner to Free Play. I never once said anything about free items, or incentivizing ball chasing with crates.
wildmonkeycar
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:29 am

Ah you are talking about the animation. What if you missed the goal? Guaranteed rare?
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby wildmonkeycar on Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:21 pm

Tentacles wrote:Ah you are talking about the animation. What if you missed the goal? Guaranteed rare?

I imagine you would just hit the ball around until you score, and it would just be an engaging way for players to open the crates. The odds wouldn't be influenced
wildmonkeycar
Supersonic

Postby AlexCuse44 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:05 pm

wildmonkeycar wrote:
Tentacles wrote:Ah you are talking about the animation. What if you missed the goal? Guaranteed rare?

I imagine you would just hit the ball around until you score, and it would just be an engaging way for players to open the crates. The odds wouldn't be influenced

What if you never score like me? :cry: :cry:
[how about yes]
AlexCuse44
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Return to Suggestions