PC Ping/Packet Loss Constant

Where the community helps the community! Post any technical issues you experience here.

PC Ping/Packet Loss Constant

Postby ManicGames on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:34 pm

Hello TWIMC,

I currently own Rocket League on PC and Xbox and im an avid fan of both platforms. I started out playing on PC about 6 months ago where the game ran as smooth as melted butter, but i had to take a hiatus due to some furniture problems and got the game on Xbox. Once i finally got a new desk for my PC, I tried to return to rocket league (about 4 months later) and now ANY online session i go into has constant lag, ping 60-130+ jumps every 4 seconds and the game has become nearly unplayable.

Yes i use a wireless connection, no I do not experience any issues with any other games, my connection speed is just fine (the computer actually moved closer to the router), and Rocket League on my Xbox performs exactly how i'd expect the PC to play. This solely happens during online matches (competitive or casual) so I know it has nothing to do with graphics settings or PC performance. I also constantly have the packet loss symbol appear on during matches. I really want to get to play RL with my steam/discord friends but as of now, I have yet to find a fix. I've tried reinstalling, dropping frames rate, closing all other possible applications, even cutting off other devices. So this forum is the last place I have to turn to and I hope somebody out there who loves RL as much as I do will be able to help <3 <3 <3 <3

Until then, gg's my friends,

ManicGames
ManicGames
Supersonic

Steam ID: ManicGaming
GamerTag: ManicGamesXbox
Region: US

Re: PC Ping/Packet Loss Constant

Postby ManicGames on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:40 pm

Ping, Still need help.
ManicGames
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:01 am

The only possible fix is to get a new ISP and or move. If you can't do that, I recommend lube.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Scyonite on Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:27 am

Even though you already admit you're using WiFi I still recommend you go cabled. There's two things I don't understand here. 1) You buy a PC for a better experience, but limit yourself to WiFi. 2) Since you've got a connection performance limitation, why are you asking for advice without making sure that limitation is not the culprit? It is my opinion that anyone with connection issues that's using WiFi should make sure they're cabled first.

made by AlexCuse44

made by zGreenMachine-
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby Spiffers on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah, the way to make sure that the issue isn't wifi is to go cabled. Even if you have to move your setup, temporarily, to some SUPER DUMB spot, all you need to do is go "Does this feel different than before?" and if the answer was "No" Ok, it wasn't the wifi, and if it's "Yes", then the wifi is (at least part of) the problem. This is just general scientific troubleshooting - do everything you can to keep all the variables the same except one, test, are there differences? That changed variable is at least one of the reasons.
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby ManicGames on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:35 am

The reason for that is I moved the PC from farther to the router to closer. I can get an Ethernet cable and see if the wired helps, but seeing as the only game that is experiencing issues with latency/input issues is Rocket League. If a wired connection doesn't help I guess i should submit a ticket to Psyonix?
ManicGames
Supersonic

Postby Spiffers on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:38 am

Submitting a ticket is definitely a step worth taking. I also don't know enough about running (or interpreting) ping tests to know exactly what to advise there (although, if you searched this topic on this forum, I'm sure you'd find the answer somewhere in one of the many other threads on this issue that pop up). Which is also likely what support would ask you for.
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby Gallywix on Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 am

I've actually been experiencing the same if not similar issue, it started roughly 3-4 months ago. Whenever I'm in-game I usually get 60-70 ping, but ever since this started happening my ping changes from 60 to 90 then to 100+ then back to 60 and it's a rinse and repeat process after that (it's an immediate change from 60-90-100). In the process of that happening I get the latency variation symbol and I start rubberbanding like crazy. It happens every single game about 5-10 times per game and for some odd reason it rubberbands in replay. I'm wired and connected to the modem directly, I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling network adapter settings, resinstalling steam & rocket league. I've tried pinging multiple IPs along with 192.168.1.1 and there's no packet loss whatsoever. (I'd try doing some of the stuff above, as it may help you) And not to mention I have 250+ download so I doubt there's a problem there. Idk what it is but I'm with you on this one. I doubt contacting support will help as all they told me was to contact my ISP when idk why since it only appears in rocket league.
Gallywix
Supersonic

Steam ID: Gallywix

Postby ManicGames on Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:23 pm

@Gallywix I'm glad i'm not the only one, I've also checked my ping/upload/download/speedtest/etc. and nothing indicates that i should be experiencing issues, but I do. The only difference is mine happens the whole game. Mine also sits around 60ping then spikes to 90-100+ and bugs out but the game runs like someone pushing a skateboard. Constant back and forth. Its made the game so hard to play when i really love this game.
ManicGames
Supersonic

Return to Help and Support