Smurfing/alternate accounts

Where the community helps the community! Post any technical issues you experience here.

Smurfing/alternate accounts

Postby Dunkzilla21 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:45 am

Psyonix can you please seriously do something about smurfing, I shouldn’t have to go into a solo match as a plat 1 and be worried about some grand champion doing air dribbles and ceiling shots on me it’s not fair at all and it’s honestly ruining the game for my friends and I. Please put something in place for this because I truly love this game but this side of the community is truly ruining the game.
Dunkzilla21
Supersonic

PSN ID: Dunkzilla21

Re: Smurfing/alternate accounts

Postby NoOne-NBA on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:33 am

Dunkzilla21 wrote:Psyonix can you please seriously do something about smurfing...

No, they can't.

In your particular case (being on PSN) Psyonix made a specific request to prevent family share accounts from playing Competitive.
Sony told them "Absolutely NOT".
Valve was the only company which allowed Psyonix to prevent family share accounts from playing Competitive on their platform, but even there smurfing is as simple as buying a second account.

The one suggestion I've heard, which would actually reduce the ease with which people can smurf, is to require some level of progress in Casual before being allowed into Competitive.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Postby Dunkzilla21 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:25 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
Dunkzilla21 wrote:Psyonix can you please seriously do something about smurfing...

No, they can't.

In your particular case (being on PSN) Psyonix made a specific request to prevent family share accounts from playing Competitive.
Sony told them "Absolutely NOT".
Valve was the only company which allowed Psyonix to prevent family share accounts from playing Competitive on their platform, but even there smurfing is as simple as buying a second account.

The one suggestion I've heard, which would actually reduce the ease with which people can smurf, is to require some level of progress in Casual before being allowed into Competitive.

But see that’s still actually something, but they could put in under the report/mute menu a surfing option so they at least watch their accounts because the ones I’ve versed are happy to admit they are because there is no consequence for doing so. At least that way they would be getting monitored and if they are smurfing van the account, it is cheating after all.
Dunkzilla21
Supersonic

Postby fatabsim on Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:29 pm

too many smurfs in ranked -_-
fatabsim
Supersonic

Steam ID: SlimAbSim | Trading

Postby Dunkzilla21 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:08 pm

Exactly my point
Dunkzilla21
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:10 am

Just because someone is doing ceiling shots doesn't mean they are grand champ. Chances are that person spent countless hours practicing cool looking shots but couldn't rotate a peanut off a jackhammer.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Dunkzilla21 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:02 am

It’s not just ceiling shots but that’s still way above gold 3/plat 1, I see flip resets crazy double taps like montage worth shots in a mid level rank it’s just not fair
Dunkzilla21
Supersonic

Postby Spiffers on Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:17 pm

And meanwhile the most impressive thing I typically see is ceiling shot attempts at D3/C1. Attempts. Not even always good ones.
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby l0wcrow420 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:36 am

There is actually just one thing you need to understand you are not the ONLY one sitting in that boat and that applies to a lot of other things aswell. Sure it sucks but you also have to see positive sites - playing better people can also make you a lot better, remember those names and one day you might get your revenge! Sadly these days the common response for this is just to create alternate account aswell but trust me those people are exactly the people who cant keep up at all on their main.

Psyonix tried the easy way with denying family share which was stupid from the first second because almost everyone of those guys not even waste a second to spend those few bucks on another account - probably psyonix excuse why game is still not free to play which is just ridicilious. They never understood they need to make it somehow worth and needed to spent all your time on your main to get certain rewards..just keep it interesting ffs but they failing miserable on that. Rocket Pass kinda helps for sure and and well money in da bank win win but other than that people will wait for ever to get other rewarding things or stats/rankings which might be worth to grind - they just dont care about those things if it doesnt get them money.

SO in the end just once again do your best and try to deal with it knowing we are all sitting in the same boat or been in that situation - the higher you get the lower the amount of possible smurfs and well keep in mind if you improve you will see those guys again ;)
l0wcrow420
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: l0wcrow

Postby Glassman94 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:54 am

Not sure anyone should consider internet gaming a place for fairness, sanity, sportsmanship, etc...................

America is soon to be run by a generation of people who grew up on cheat codes. I suspect difficult times ahead.
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Glassman94

Postby N7Mith on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:04 pm

Dunkzilla21 wrote:Psyonix can you please seriously do something about smurfing, I shouldn’t have to go into a solo match as a plat 1 and be worried about some grand champion doing air dribbles and ceiling shots on me it’s not fair at all and it’s honestly ruining the game for my friends and I. Please put something in place for this because I truly love this game but this side of the community is truly ruining the game.

Are you talking about solo standard or 1v1? Solo standard is a tricky mode, because you're thrown in with people whom you have no idea how they play, and there's almost no (tactical) communication. And also people tend to play it much less than regular 2s or 3s. Because of this, grand-champions from other modes have a really tough time actually getting to champion there. It's really not that uncommon to encounter a 2s champion in plat. Just because they're good in one mode doesn't mean they automatically make champion in the other. Sure, they do ceiling shots, air-dribbles, crazy pinches and whatever, the real question in solo standard is: "can you read teammates and adjust?" If they can they will pass you by fast... but from my experience a lot of them can't. See it as their weakness, and exploit it.

1v1 I have very little experience with, but the same principle applies. Just because they're good when they're with teammates that know exactly how they play, doesn't mean that they'll obliterate everyone on their own. And again; if they do you won't see them for long, if not; exploit that weakness.

One more thing; try not to see it as a wasted match when you're outgunned. You can learn a ton of shit from watching better players play. Besides, when the outcome doesn't matter, try some shit. Go for demos, steal boost, see how hard you can make it for them. It only ruins the game if you let it.

Edit; I don't mean to dismiss the fact that there are smurfs, because there are. I think they're doing the best they can, so keep reporting if you really feel someone is abusing the system. But also try to be fair in your assessment and acknowledge that there are other reasons for people to be stuck in lower ranks.
RocketID: N7Mith#7623
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby Spiffers on Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:54 pm

While this thread is still going, I'm also going to throw in my note about alternate accounts: I'm fine with alternate accounts, as long as you just use it the same you would your main account (relatively speaking) - to play the game and move up to the rank where you should be. What I'm NOT fine with is sandbagging - this is the real thing I have an issue with. People who will intentionally lose their way out of a competitive MMR for them so that they can wreck people at a level below where they should be playing. And I'm pretty sure THIS is where the real problem is.
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Return to Help and Support