The ranking system is rigged

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

The ranking system is rigged

Postby Lui on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:46 am

So i was playing with my friend, who is a plat 2 ranked doubles player. I didn't have a rank, so we decided to play two more games to get me a rank, just to see what i would get. So after winning those two games, (first one had me, unranked, my friend: plat two, and two plat 1 and plat two enemies, we won. The next game a was a piece of cake too. We won against two plat 2's) i get GOLD 1... Which is weird because not only did we win both games, but i wasn't particulary carried either, i had about 500 points and my friend had 300. So it was a fair game.

The games before these two matches didn't go very well for me i got to say, i was constantely losing and winning to silvers and golds but that was about 3-2 months ago.. So why is the rank that i get not based on WHO I WIN AGAINST rather than my average? Gold 1 is ridiciously low for my skill level i feel.

I dont have any screenshots, but tracking my games is possible right? here's my steam ID STEAM_0:0:143637824

Is there anything i can do to get a higher rank while NOT CONSTANTELY being dragged down by my gold 1 teammates who cant aerial? Progressing is very hard for me because im stuck all the time on my bad teammates.
Lui
Supersonic

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:143637824
Region: EU

Re: The ranking system is rigged

Postby Mac08 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 am

OMG OMG THIS IS SO TRUEE THIS GUY SHOULD DEFINITELY GET GRAND CHAMP I MEAN WTF PSYONIX U ROBBED ME OF MY OPPORTUNITY MULTIPLE TIMES AS WELL WE DEMAND RESPECT AND GRAND CHAMP FOR ALL NOT JUST THE FEW !!! :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: :rocket: srsly tho this guy is playing way beyond his rank lvl (not that i have ever seen him play i mean idk who dis guy is but i have a feeling ya know).
Mac08
Supersonic

Steam ID: https://steamcommuni

Postby Lui on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:29 am

Update: i just played two 3v3 matches (my first ones) in my first one i carried with a 300 point difference, my team made two own goals and we lost. In de second one i carried with a 100 point difference (between me and 2) and we lost. My team couldnt aerial, doesnt know how to distrobute boost, all that good stuff. I am shivering with anger, i havent progressed in 3 years because of my teammates. I never get a single chance to prove myself. I always get top score. I always have more saves and goals. Im always the only one that can rotate back when necessary. I recorded a match, i was quite salty, so just ignore the chat please, also ignore the music if i havent edited it out. Thinking about uploading it..
Lui
Supersonic

Postby Tentacles on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am

Rocket League has one the worst rank systems I've come across. I'm champ 2 trying to play with my champ friend and for my champ 3 rank up game I get 2 champ 3s. This is fairly normal for me. There are definitely 2 ranks with in one rank.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby parafarcc on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Tentacles wrote:Rocket League has one the worst rank systems I've come across. I'm champ 2 trying to play with my champ friend and for my champ 3 rank up game I get 2 champ 3s. This is fairly normal for me. There are definitely 2 ranks with in one rank.

If You go in with a 1300 MMR and your friend is a 1000 MMR you'll pull two players closer to 1300 MMR cause its the highest MMR of your group. It stops people from boosting, you better off playin with players your own rank. Its trying to stop the drastic smurfing, cause if your 1300 mmr and your friend is a smurf with 500 MMR it would be unfair to play someone like 900 MMR cause you would just roll them.
parafarcc
Supersonic

Steam ID: farcc

Postby Tentacles on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:31 pm

parafarcc wrote:
If You go in with a 1300 MMR and your friend is a 1000 MMR you'll pull two players closer to 1300 MMR cause its the highest MMR of your group. It stops people from boosting, you better off playin with players your own rank. Its trying to stop the drastic smurfing, cause if your 1300 mmr and your friend is a smurf with 500 MMR it would be unfair to play someone like 900 MMR cause you would just roll them.

Ya i'm going in with a 1300 MMR and playing against people with a 1450 average.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Postby zGreenMachine- on Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:55 pm

If you're new to ranked then your MMR starts very low by default (MMR is the skill rating that determines your rank). So regardless of who you played with or against you'll get placed into a lower rank after your initial placement games. But since you've played <50 ranked matches the game is "uncertain" of how skilled it thinks you are, and it will add/subtract more MMR for a win/loss than normal. Which allows you to climb up the ranks fairly quickly.

The ID you linked isn't quite right but I managed to find the right one. Here's a stat-tracking website where you can view your stats, ranks, MMR and more: https://rocketleague.tracker.network/pr ... 8247541376

Lui wrote:Is there anything i can do to get a higher rank while NOT CONSTANTELY being dragged down by my gold 1 teammates who cant aerial? Progressing is very hard for me because im stuck all the time on my bad teammates.

Either play with your higher ranked friend or find someone you mesh well with in a match and play some games with them.

Oh, and if you're actually a Plat2-level player then beating low golds shouldn't be a problem ;)

Tentacles wrote:There are definitely 2 ranks with in one rank.

Actually there's 4: Div 1, div 2, div 3, and div 4 :laugh:
made by AlexCuse44
zGreenMachine-
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US Central

Postby Tentacles on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:51 pm

And in side each of those divs are a massive amount of different skill leveled players.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Postby Lui on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:42 am

Oh, and if you're actually a Plat2-level player then beating low golds shouldn't be a problem ;)

Yea, golds usually are a piece of ez cake for me, as i said, i always top score (even if i lose), It's my teammates that can't aerial/dribble that are dragging me down, or so i think. Im gonna try to play a few games and ill screenshot them, thanks for ur post tho!
Lui
Supersonic

Postby Lui on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:14 am

zGreenMachine- wrote:If you're new to ranked then your MMR starts very low by default (MMR is the skill rating that determines your rank). So regardless of who you played with or against you'll get placed into a lower rank after your initial placement games. But since you've played <50 ranked matches the game is "uncertain" of how skilled it thinks you are, and it will add/subtract more MMR for a win/loss than normal. Which allows you to climb up the ranks fairly quickly.

The ID you linked isn't quite right but I managed to find the right one. Here's a stat-tracking website where you can view your stats, ranks, MMR and more: https://rocketleague.tracker.network/pr ... 8247541376

Lui wrote:Is there anything i can do to get a higher rank while NOT CONSTANTELY being dragged down by my gold 1 teammates who cant aerial? Progressing is very hard for me because im stuck all the time on my bad teammates.

Either play with your higher ranked friend or find someone you mesh well with in a match and play some games with them.

Tentacles wrote:There are definitely 2 ranks with in one rank.

Actually there's 4: Div 1, div 2, div 3, and div 4 :laugh:

Just played the 3 games, won all 3, which is nice i guess, carried in the first two with a 300 point difference in the first one and about 200-300 (im not sure) in the second one. In the last (third) game the guy i was playing with made an own goal and stole 2 goals, including 1 overtime goal where he was just standing in the enemy goal so the ball bounced on his head, so he got more points.. I have made screenshots but i dont know how to show them to you
Lui
Supersonic

Postby littlebigleg on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 am

you do get that wins are a bit more important that were you are on the scoreboard at the end of the match ye?
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Postby Lui on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:33 am

littlebigleg wrote:you do get that wins are a bit more important that were you are on the scoreboard at the end of the match ye?

i dont really get this message, do u mean 'you do get that wins are a bit more important than where you are on the scoreboared at the end of the match?' in that case ye i do.. this post is not even relevant?
Lui
Supersonic

Postby Spiffers on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:01 pm

His "were" was supposed to be "where" I would think, which even through the poor grammar does make the post make sense (at least to me) - It's more important to win, it barely matters if you scored 50 or 5000 points, your gain's not going to change - in other words, "Where you are on the scoreboard"
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby littlebigleg on Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:39 am

yup my grammar be very not good :(

Constantly getting MVP while winning most games = You are in the wrong rank (but it dont matter because you will shoot up to where you should be in a few hours..

Constantly getting MVP while not winning and not going up = Ball chaser
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby Lui on Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:49 am

littlebigleg wrote:yup my grammar be very not good :(

Constantly getting MVP while winning most games = You are in the wrong rank (but it dont matter because you will shoot up to where you should be in a few hours..

Very true, i did win all 3 games tho, oh and also ive asked to some random teammates and foes in casual what their rank was and some said plat 2.. some plat 3, some plat 1 even but also people who say that they're diamond 1 or 2 xd
Lui
Supersonic

Postby N7Mith on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:43 pm

Why submit yourself to random players when you can find solid teammates in your skill-level? Get a party going for verbal communication, you're in your proper rank in no time.
RocketID: N7Mith#7623
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

PSN ID: N7Mith
GamerTag: Mith0810
Region: EU, USE, ME

Postby littlebigleg on Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:53 pm

N7Mith wrote:Why submit yourself to random players when you can find solid teammates in your skill-level? Get a party going for verbal communication, you're in your proper rank in no time.

where did u go? mass effect 3 took you that long?
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby N7Mith on Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:09 am

littlebigleg wrote:
N7Mith wrote:Why submit yourself to random players when you can find solid teammates in your skill-level? Get a party going for verbal communication, you're in your proper rank in no time.

where did u go? mass effect 3 took you that long?

Took a long break from RL, and gaming in general. Couldn't really get into it anymore at the time. (bored or annoyed after 10 min) Reconnected with an old buddy I hadn't spoken with for a couple years, and he pulled me back in :)
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Postby Glassman94 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:17 am

littlebigleg wrote:yup my grammar be very not good :(

barely

This has been my long term experience.
When I'm MVP multiple times, it isn't long before I'm placed against better players. Then I go through a period of doing OK, with occasional MVP's. Eventually I end up against even better players = no MVP. About this time I start losing most of my matches and end up de-ranking until I start doing OK with an occasional MVP.

I often criticize this game. But in the long run, matchmaking is doing an EXCELLENT job of placing me where I need to be. When my MMR is about 1400, I can kick a little ass. When my MMR approaches 1600, my ass gets kicked.

I too get frustrated when losing. But when I calm down and look at my W/L ratio and MMR, its obvious that in the LONG RUN, this game is doing a good job at matchmaking.
(can't believe I'm saying this)
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: Glassman94

Postby N7Mith on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:49 am

Glassman94 wrote:This has been my long term experience.
When I'm MVP multiple times, it isn't long before I'm placed against better players. Then I go through a period of doing OK, with occasional MVP's. Eventually I end up against even better players = no MVP. About this time I start losing most of my matches and end up de-ranking until I start doing OK with an occasional MVP.

I often criticize this game. But in the long run, matchmaking is doing an EXCELLENT job of placing me where I need to be. When my MMR is about 1400, I can kick a little ass. When my MMR approaches 1600, my ass gets kicked.

I too get frustrated when losing. But when I calm down and look at my W/L ratio and MMR, its obvious that in the LONG RUN, this game is doing a good job at matchmaking.
(can't believe I'm saying this)

Yeah, that's what I see as well. I love that sweet spot where 30-40% of the games end in overtime.
N7Mith
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Next

Return to General Discussion