QoL Casual Matchmaking improvements

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

QoL Casual Matchmaking improvements

Postby legaCypowers on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:23 am

• If you quit the match, and search again you get another match.
    There is simply no point of putting you back in the same match that you left, the player will get annoyed and the team will continue to play with bots because after rejoining the same match the player will quit again.
  • Option to join only a new match
    Give a checkbox on the search menu that allow player to filter out the matchmaking on ongoing matches, even if that would result in a longer wait time for the player(so a ongoing match end and release a slot for the player or party).
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: legacypowers
Region: South America

Re: QoL Casual Matchmaking improvements

Postby Tentacles on Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:42 pm

Both of these options benefit rage quitters. These will never happen nor should they.
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby legaCypowers on Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:34 pm

Tentacles wrote:Both of these options benefit rage quitters. These will never happen nor should they.

Yeah, because the person reconnecting to the same game and quitting will help the team playing a lot.

When i join a casual match like 1 min left i instant quit, i keep doing that until a match with at least 3 min is found.
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Galactic Geek on Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:56 pm

I still think that players who quit in casual should have a timed ban, just like in ranked. You shouldn't quit - it's really that simple. And if you have to go for something truly important, such as an IRL emergency, then a temp ban will not hurt you. And if you quit in a rage, it gives you the breathing room you need to calm down. If you're a habitual quitter, then you get what you deserve, and good riddance! You didn't want to play anyways...
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby Spiffers on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I have no issue with people leaving in casual matches though. That's the point of casual games - is the ability to drop in/drop out of them. If my buddies get on and say "let's play", and there's 4 minutes left in a casual match, I'm out.

This is even more true given that there's very little progression on the line - only a 50XP bonus for a win is what you'll potentially lose, plus someone can fill in.

Although, I would also take a forfeit vote in casuals if you like who you're playing against, but you're just at a dumb early loss, along with other factors (like, if you're a whole team in a casual match, and you just want to finish the match due to any reason)
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby Galactic Geek on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:13 am

Having someone leave, even in casuals, is like a punch to the gut for those who are left behind. It's rude. It makes it more likely that they will lose, which effects their MMR and who they get matched up with in the future (more quitters) - and it happens often enough that it makes the game, well, not fun. Sure, it's casual, but that's not why it's called casual. You should still respect others and finish out the match if possible. If winning or losing in casuals doesn't really matter, how come so many players can't bear to lose? Because casual or not, it's still competitive. I view anyone who quits early as a blatant coward.
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby Tentacles on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:09 am

legaCypowers wrote:
Tentacles wrote:Both of these options benefit rage quitters. These will never happen nor should they.

Yeah, because the person reconnecting to the same game and quitting will help the team playing a lot.

When i join a casual match like 1 min left i instant quit, i keep doing that until a match with at least 3 min is found.

When a rage quit baby knows they won't get put into that match it becomes even easier to rage quit. Just lost first goal oh well guess I'll quit and try again. If anything casual 3s should have it's own playlist take away casual duos and duels and tournament play should be pushed harder.
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:05 am

I'd like to see Psyonix implement a mild version of the Ranked ban system into Casual.

I would make the ban equal to the remainder of the Casual match a person quits, with the countdown timer starting immediately, rather than at next login.
I would also give the player a chance to rejoin the match, provided it was still possible.
That would give players more incentive to play out Casual matches, punish people who leave repeatedly to "find a better match", while preventing people who had to leave to handle something in real life from facing any kind of ban, assuming the task they quit for takes longer than completing the match would have.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Postby legaCypowers on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:48 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:I'd like to see Psyonix implement a mild version of the Ranked ban system into Casual.

I would make the ban equal to the remainder of the Casual match a person quits, with the countdown timer starting immediately, rather than at next login.
I would also give the player a chance to rejoin the match, provided it was still possible.
That would give players more incentive to play out Casual matches, punish people who leave repeatedly to "find a better match", while preventing people who had to leave to handle something in real life from facing any kind of ban, assuming the task they quit for takes longer than completing the match would have.

So you wanna make casual like competitive? but there is already a competitive mode.
Currently the game is:
Casual:
- You are placed in a match with similar MMR players.
- You can join or leave whenever you want.
- You win and get a little bit more XP
- You lose you get a little bit less XP
- You win your MMR goes up.
- You lose your MMR goes down.

Competitive:
- You are placed in a match with similar Rank players.
- Quitters get punished.
- You win your Rank goes up.
- You lose your Rank goes down.

The way you want:

Casual:
- You are placed in a match with similar MMR players.
- Quitters get punished.
- You win your MMR goes up.
- You lose your MMR goes down.

Competitive:
- You are placed in a match with similar Rank players.
- Quitters get punished.
- You win your Rank goes up.
- You lose your Rank goes down.

did you noticed something odd?

Tentacles wrote:
legaCypowers wrote:

When a rage quit baby knows they won't get put into that match it becomes even easier to rage quit. Just lost first goal oh well guess I'll quit and try again. If anything casual 3s should have it's own playlist take away casual duos and duels and tournament play should be pushed harder.

again, if they are put in the same match again, they will quit again and the team playing without the player will be in disadvantage.
can't you see that the people that have more to lose isn't the quitter and the players on the match that the quitter left?
I mean, it is not that hard to understand.
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:59 am

legaCypowers wrote:did you noticed something odd?

legaCypowers wrote:So you wanna make casual like competitive? but there is already a competitive mode.

legaCypowers wrote:can't you see that the people that have more to lose isn't the quitter and the players on the match that the quitter left?

The "something odd" I noticed is that none of your reply to MY post actually addresses the core goal of my suggestion, which was to make the game more enjoyable for the people who don't quit, yet...
your response to Tentacles' post uses the exact same logic, to justify making things more enjoyable for the rage quitters.

It's not that hard to understand.
The people leaving a match should face harsher penalties for leaving, than their now short-handed teammates face for staying, regardless of which mode of the game they happen to be playing at the time.

My proposed system would specifically target people leaving one match, with the intent of joining another match immediately.
If you're going to leave me alone, in a match with 3:30 left on the clock, it had better be because something important enough to prevent you from playing the remaining 3:30 has come up.

If you have time to play another full match immediately, you have time to finish out MY match, and should be encouraged to stay.
If you choose to leave, YOU are the one screwing 3/5/7 other players over, in an attempt to make things better for yourself alone, so you should be the one penalized for that selfishness.

That you would even suggest the system reward the serial quitters, for screwing up matches for everyone else, is just ridiculous.
NoOne-NBA

Postby legaCypowers on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:10 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:
legaCypowers wrote:did you noticed something odd?

legaCypowers wrote:So you wanna make casual like competitive? but there is already a competitive mode.

legaCypowers wrote:can't you see that the people that have more to lose isn't the quitter and the players on the match that the quitter left?

The "something odd" I noticed is that none of your reply to MY post actually addresses the core goal of my suggestion, which was to make the game more enjoyable for the people who don't quit, yet...
your response to Tentacles' post uses the exact same logic, to justify making things more enjoyable for the rage quitters.

It's not that hard to understand.
The people leaving a match should face harsher penalties for leaving, than their now short-handed teammates face for staying, regardless of which mode of the game they happen to be playing at the time.

My proposed system would specifically target people leaving one match, with the intent of joining another match immediately.
If you're going to leave me alone, in a match with 3:30 left on the clock, it had better be because something important enough to prevent you from playing the remaining 3:30 has come up.

If you have time to play another full match immediately, you have time to finish out MY match, and should be encouraged to stay.
If you choose to leave, YOU are the one screwing 3/5/7 other players over, in an attempt to make things better for yourself alone, so you should be the one penalized for that selfishness.

That you would even suggest the system reward the serial quitters, for screwing up matches for everyone else, is just ridiculous.

So make your own thread with your ban system for casual matches, the subject of this thread is discuss my suggestion, Which tentacles did.
As a moderator you should know that.
As for tentacles answer, he didn't seem to understand that it is a hassle to the people playing(no the rage quitter) have the rage quitter joining and disconnecting, people who actually wants to play could be joining instead.
For the rage quitter it 3 key presses to leave and 3 to search for a match again.
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:29 am

legaCypowers wrote:So make your own thread with your ban system for casual matches, the subject of this thread is discuss my suggestion, Which tentacles did.
As a moderator you should know that...

My response better addresses the "subject of your thread" than any of your posts have.

My suggestions actually include improvements to quality of life, in casual matchmaking, for the people who deserve such improvements.
Yours don't.

Your suggestions would only improve quality of life for the serial quitters, as everyone else in the thread has pointed out.
They would make life WORSE for the people left in the affected matches.

Please feel free to elaborate, in depth, on how your solutions will provide a better experience than mine, for the players who are left stranded in a Casual match, by a serial quitter.
Those stranded players are the people who should be specifically targeted by any suggested quality of life improvements, NOT the serial quitters.
NoOne-NBA

Postby legaCypowers on Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:37 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
legaCypowers wrote:So make your own thread with your ban system for casual matches, the subject of this thread is discuss my suggestion, Which tentacles did.
As a moderator you should know that...

My response better addresses the "subject of your thread" than any of your posts have.

My suggestions actually include improvements to quality of life, in casual matchmaking, for the people who deserve such improvements.
Yours don't.

Your suggestions would only improve quality of life for the serial quitters, as everyone else in the thread has pointed out.
They would make life WORSE for the people left in the affected matches.

Please feel free to elaborate, in depth, on how your solutions will provide a better experience than mine, for the players who are left stranded in a Casual match, by a serial quitter.
Those stranded players are the people who should be specifically targeted by any suggested quality of life improvements, NOT the serial quitters.

Seems like you didn't even bother to read the thread and my responses, otherwise you would know.
but i will make it really simple, so even you will be able to understand.

Retard left the match.
Retard joined the match.
Retard left the match.

Team without the quitter scores.

Retard joined the match.
Retard left the match.
Retard joined the match.
Retard left the match.

now imagine how fun would be for the team playing a 3v3 with 2 players and a bot.
Got it? that's why i suggest that the matchmaking system don't put the same player on the same match again and again and again and again and again and again and again.
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:33 pm

legaCypowers wrote:Seems like you didn't even bother to read the thread and my responses, otherwise you would know.
but i will make it really simple, so even you will be able to understand...

I did read your suggestion, and posted a much better solution, which YOU obviously didn't bother to read, or failed to understand.

I'll lay this out in your preferred format, to "make it really simple for you".
Let's assume the quickest turnaround will take a player approximately 30 seconds to join a match, and 30 seconds to decide he doesn't like a match, and quit again.

Your Suggestion
Player quits with 4:00 remaining in current match.
Player joins new match. (3:30 remaining in original match)
Player quits. (3:00 remaining)
Player joins. (2:30 remaining)
Player quits. (2:00 remaining)
Player joins. (1:30 remaining)
Player quits. (1:00 remaining)
Player joins. (0:30 remaining)
Player quits. (0:00 remaining)

The guy has the opportunity to screw up FIVE matches, under your suggestion.
That could potentially lower the "quality of life" for as many as 35 other players.

My Suggestion
Player quits with 4:00 remaining.
Player gets a time out for 4:00.

He's only had opportunity to screw up ONE match, under my suggestion.
More importantly, his actions have only affected up to 7 other people, instead of 35.

Do you "get it now"?
NoOne-NBA

Postby Scyonite on Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:45 pm

LegaCy why are you personally offended by people that seem to be making valid counterarguments to yours and try to shove them away by not "applying" to your thread? These arguments are perfectly reasonable and in par of what can be expected on a forum. If you want your balls tickled on the internet, well, make kitten posts or something, lel.
"don't steal my pfp" -me
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby legaCypowers on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:48 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
legaCypowers wrote:Seems like you didn't even bother to read the thread and my responses, otherwise you would know.
but i will make it really simple, so even you will be able to understand...

I did read your suggestion, and posted a much better solution, which YOU obviously didn't bother to read, or failed to understand.

I'll lay this out in your preferred format, to "make it really simple for you".
Let's assume the quickest turnaround will take a player approximately 30 seconds to join a match, and 30 seconds to decide he doesn't like a match, and quit again.

Your Suggestion
Player quits with 4:00 remaining in current match.
Player joins new match. (3:30 remaining in original match)
Player quits. (3:00 remaining)
Player joins. (2:30 remaining)
Player quits. (2:00 remaining)
Player joins. (1:30 remaining)
Player quits. (1:00 remaining)
Player joins. (0:30 remaining)
Player quits. (0:00 remaining)

The guy has the opportunity to screw up FIVE matches, under your suggestion.
That could potentially lower the "quality of life" for as many as 35 other players.

My Suggestion
Player quits with 4:00 remaining.
Player gets a time out for 4:00.

He's only had opportunity to screw up ONE match, under my suggestion.
More importantly, his actions have only affected up to 7 other people, instead of 35.

Do you "get it now"?

And if you need to piss? have diarrhea? have to answer the door, have to answer the phone? Would afk-ing be better than quitting? And if you have unstable connection but still wanna play anyway?
Personally i own a company and i play casual matches on my work time when i'm idle, but if something happens i need to quit the match and do whatever it is needed on my work, so if i need 1 minute off i should be banned? on a casual match? you are a GENIUS!
In your amazing mind did you thought that people may need to quit a game for important reasons and punishing them would be quite unfair?
Why Psyonix did a Competitive mode(which punishes the quitters) then?
Scyonite wrote:LegaCy why are you personally offended by people that seem to be making valid counterarguments to yours and try to shove them away by not "applying" to your thread? These arguments are perfectly reasonable and in par of what can be expected on a forum. If you want your balls tickled on the internet, well, make kitten posts or something, lel.

No one here is offended, but it seems that he was having serious problems understanding what i said, so i made it really simple.
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:47 pm

Best solution: rage quit babys who can obviously q up for the identical match they just rage quit can't get put into a game till that match ends.
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Postby legaCypowers on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Tentacles wrote:Best solution: rage quit babys who can obviously q up for the identical match they just rage quit can't get put into a game till that match ends.

And if you need to piss? have diarrhea? have to answer the door, have to answer the phone? Would afk-ing be better than quitting? And if you have unstable connection but still wanna play anyway?
Personally i own a company and i play casual matches on my work time when i'm idle, but if something happens i need to quit the match and do whatever it is needed on my work, so if i need 1 minute off i should be banned? on a casual match? you are a GENIUS!
In your amazing mind did you thought that people may need to quit a game for important reasons and punishing them would be quite unfair?
Why Psyonix did a Competitive mode(which punishes the quitters) then?
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:23 pm

legaCypowers wrote:Personally i own a company and i play casual matches on my work time when i'm idle, but if something happens i need to quit the match and do whatever it is needed on my work, so if i need 1 minute off i should be banned? on a casual match? you are a GENIUS!

I notice that all your posts are about "you", and what's convenient "for you".
Has it ever occurred to you that YOU leaving a match ruins that match for ALL the other people in it, regardless of how "important" your reason for leaving is to YOU?

That's why my suggestions are all aimed at making the game better for the 3/5/7 players who DON'T need to quit a 5 minute match.

legaCypowers wrote:In your amazing mind did you thought that people may need to quit a game for important reasons and punishing them would be quite unfair?

And, yet again, you're showing that you haven't even TRIED to comprehend the posts I have made.
If you need to leave the remainder of a 5-minute match, for "important reasons", those reasons should be important enough you are willing to forego playing the game entirely, for whatever amount of time is remaining, in the match you are leaving.

Sitting at 4:00 remaining, when you NEED to make a hasty exit to the bathroom?
Grab a drink while you're gone, and you'll be able to play, by the time you get back.
No punishment there.

Need to answer the phone with 2:30 remaining?
Take the call, talk for 2:30, then start playing again.
No punishment there either.

The only "punishments" being handed out are to the players remaining in the match YOU bail on, for whatever selfish reason you deem "important".
If you can't commit to a 5 minute match, up front, you should have enough respect for the other players in the game to switch games to something you can pause, when you need to.

legaCypowers wrote:Why Psyonix did a Competitive mode(which punishes the quitters) then?

You're not asking that seriously, are you?

They made Competitive mode so that people could COMPETE for standing.
They added bans for quitting because people quitting in the middle of a match ruins that match for everyone involved.
That's not something that is confined to Competitive though, which is the point the rest of us are making.
People leaving Casual matches ruin those, as well.

People should be encouraged to finish out any match they start, to every extent possible.
If something comes up that truly is "important" enough you need to quit a match you've already started, it should be important enough to keep you from playing until the match you left is over.
NoOne-NBA

Postby legaCypowers on Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:39 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
legaCypowers wrote:Personally i own a company and i play casual matches on my work time when i'm idle, but if something happens i need to quit the match and do whatever it is needed on my work, so if i need 1 minute off i should be banned? on a casual match? you are a GENIUS!

I notice that all your posts are about "you", and what's convenient "for you".
Has it ever occurred to you that YOU leaving a match ruins that match for ALL the other people in it, regardless of how "important" your reason for leaving is to YOU?

That's why my suggestions are all aimed at making the game better for the 3/5/7 players who DON'T need to quit a 5 minute match.

legaCypowers wrote:In your amazing mind did you thought that people may need to quit a game for important reasons and punishing them would be quite unfair?

And, yet again, you're showing that you haven't even TRIED to comprehend the posts I have made.
If you need to leave the remainder of a 5-minute match, for "important reasons", those reasons should be important enough you are willing to forego playing the game entirely, for whatever amount of time is remaining, in the match you are leaving.

Sitting at 4:00 remaining, when you NEED to make a hasty exit to the bathroom?
Grab a drink while you're gone, and you'll be able to play, by the time you get back.
No punishment there.

Need to answer the phone with 2:30 remaining?
Take the call, talk for 2:30, then start playing again.
No punishment there either.

The only "punishments" being handed out are to the players remaining in the match YOU bail on, for whatever selfish reason you deem "important".
If you can't commit to a 5 minute match, up front, you should have enough respect for the other players in the game to switch games to something you can pause, when you need to.

legaCypowers wrote:Why Psyonix did a Competitive mode(which punishes the quitters) then?

You're not asking that seriously, are you?

They made Competitive mode so that people could COMPETE for standing.
They added bans for quitting because people quitting in the middle of a match ruins that match for everyone involved.
That's not something that is confined to Competitive though, which is the point the rest of us are making.
People leaving Casual matches ruin those, as well.

People should be encouraged to finish out any match they start, to every extent possible.
If something comes up that truly is "important" enough you need to quit a match you've already started, it should be important enough to keep you from playing until the match you left is over.

you can see how GENIUS you are by judging how many games ban you for leaving a casual game, its utterly dumb timeout people on a casual game, and you don't see to understand examples, i have fiber connection, usually i play with very low ping with a very stable connection, but this isn't a reality for everyone.
John is a guy who bought Rocket League, John have unstable connection, John get desynced and finally disconnected, John is banned for X minutes, for sure john is gonna leave some nice reviews, and play and spend money on the game.
Now lets talk about Jane, Jane has asthma, and she is having a asthma crysis right now, Jane will have to make a choice, pass out and eventually die because the lack of oxygen, stay AFK and grab her inhaler and come back barely breathing and play while the medication take effects, or get banned, Jane will be a happy player.
Now lets talk about Richard, Richard mom went home from the grocery store and ask Richard to help her with the groceries, Richard is AFK.

You see it's not about me.

the only people that get mad(and rage quit or think that a casual match is ruined because someone left) on casuals are nolifers that doesn't know what the word "Casual" means.

I play CSGO, Overwatch, tried League of Legends and didn't liked, all these games have casual mode and competitive mode, they don't punish players leaving casual matches, and except on csgo that you can rejoin if a friend is on a match, i never reconnected on the same casual match.
legaCypowers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Next

Return to Suggestions