Casual Matchmaking

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Casual Matchmaking

Postby CloudsofJupiter on Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:41 pm

I can only find vague answers to this question from 2017 or before:
I would like to know how the game determines the level of competition you match up against in causal 1v1 2v2 and 3v3. I've heard different answers including: it looks up your actual skill rating. I'm wondering because I prefer to play casual a lot to improve when I hit a plateau in ranked but I seem to not get matched with players at or above my skill level very often, which sucks. I don't like playing against weaker opponents when I'm trying to improve. My ranked level in 3v3 is d2 but when I play casual it feels like most opponents are gold/plat. But I have a friend who is in the exact same comp rank and when we party together in casual we then get plat, diamond and champ level competition. I'm wondering if the system has changed recently? And does your rank level (number) have an impact on your matchmaking in casual??
CloudsofJupiter
Supersonic

GamerTag: CloudsofJupiter

Re: Casual Matchmaking

Postby NoOne-NBA on Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:54 am

Casual works the same as Ranked, but lumps everything together into a single ranking.
Where that causes the most problems is when people run up their Unranked MMR playing regular Soccar, and then try to play something like Hoops, and find they aren't competitive at their current rank because they are facing players whose MMR reflects their skill at Hoops specifically.
If you play more Casual, your MMR should come in line with your actual skill.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Re: Casual Matchmaking

Postby Scyonite on Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:51 am

https://rocketleague.tracker.network/pr ... sofJupiter

Your MMR in standard and unranked is both top 23%. In unranked the higher ranks (C3/GC) are less heavily presented, so there's a slight shift. You should expect your unranked MMR to be a bit higher if you were to be correctly calibrated, on average.
"don't steal my pfp" -me
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Return to General Discussion