Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Any and all discussion relating to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars.

Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby Dirkened on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:27 am

Image

It’s time to conquer that Diamond III-Division IV hurdle and cross-off your remaining Season Reward Level wins, because the end of Competitive Season 8 is near!

Season 8 will conclude with the release of our next update and Competitive Season 9 will then officially commence! As always, we'll have Season Rewards in tow and Season 8 is all about Rocket Boosts! Check out the images up top (Silver, Champion, Gold left to right) and below (Bronze, Diamond, Platinum) to see all six Boosts planned for the roll-out. We'll have more to share on these Boosts closer to their release with the next update.

Here’s the distribution breakdown:
  • Bronze I or higher – ‘Season 8 - Bronze’ Rocket Boost
  • Silver I or higher – ‘Season 8 - Silver’ Rocket Boost + lower Rocket Boosts
  • Gold I or higher – ‘Season 8 - Gold’ Rocket Boost + lower Rocket Boosts
  • Platinum I or higher – ‘Season 8 - Platinum’ Rocket Boost + lower Rocket Boosts
  • Diamond I or higher – ‘Season 8 - Diamond’ Rocket Boost + lower Rocket Boosts
  • Champion I or higher – ‘Season 8 - Champion’ Rocket Boost + lower Rocket Boosts
  • Grand Champion – 'Season 8 Grand Champion' in-game Title + all Season 8 Rocket Boosts
Remember, in order to be eligible for Season 8 Reward items, you must complete placement matches in a Competitive Playlist AND fulfill the appropriate Season Reward Level(s). You can learn more about Season Reward Levels here. Additionally, any account found to be abusing the matchmaking system may lose out on Season 8 Rewards entirely.

Image

Season 9 Details
Our next update marks the beginning of one of our most exciting Competitive Seasons to date! Extra Modes (formerly known as Ranked Sports) are coming to Competitive for the first time ever! Rumble, Dropshot, Hoops and Snow Day are all being converted to Competitive Playlists -- 2v2 for Hoops and 3v3 for the other Playlists -- found under the new ‘Extra Modes’ tab in the Playlist Menu.

Similar to Competitive Soccar, you will have a unique MMR in each Playlist where you’ll need to complete ten placement matches for each before obtaining a Rank. All of the same Competitive rules (forfeiting, matchmaking bans, etc.) will still apply as well. How are Rewards going to work with these changes? Extra Mode wins will contribute to the same Season Reward Level as your Soccar matches. For those putting serious time in with Extra Modes, we’re also considering additional Season Rewards like Extra Mode-specific Grand Champion titles.

Alongside these additions to Competitive play, Rumble, Dropshot, Hoops and Snow Day will no longer appear as Casual Playlist options. (You can still use these modes in Private Matches, Local Matches, and Tournaments.) Due to population split, keeping Extra Modes in both Casual and Competitive could lead to great difficulty finding matches -- something we want to avoid for their inaugural Competitive Season. Want to play Extra Modes without worrying about Competitive Ranks? We’re giving you the option to hide your Rank for these modes so you can maintain a more casual mentality while playing.

We hope you’re as excited for these Rewards and changes as us -- we can't wait to see the boxing gloves, tiles, basketballs and hockey pucks fly this coming season! Be sure to share your thoughts on the Extra Modes changes on Twitter, Discord and the Subreddit.
Rocket League Associate Community Specialist
Dirkened
Psyonix Developer
User avatar
Psyonix Developer
 
Posts: 4075
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:17 pm
PSN ID: Dirkened
Steam ID: Dirkened
GamerTag: Dirkened
Region: NA

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby AlexCuse44 on Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:57 am

We need a "Season 9 Grand Hooper" title :yaypsyonix:
Scyonite wrote:
zGreenMachine wrote:
JHZER wrote:I'm really struggling with RL, the game doesn't excite me and that's why I don't wanna stream it or do gameplay videos. I need something new and different to the game but I know only cosmetics are added which makes me sad.
AlexCuse44
Expeditious
User avatar
Expeditious
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:23 pm
Location: Tokyo Underpass
Steam ID: AlexCuse44
Region: US East

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby Scyonite on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm

In what timeframe / when can we expect season 9 to launch?
zGreenMachine wrote:
JHZER wrote:I'm really struggling with RL, the game doesn't excite me and that's why I don't wanna stream it or do gameplay videos. I need something new and different to the game but I know only cosmetics are added which makes me sad.
Scyonite
Battle-Car
User avatar
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby legaCypowers on Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Scyonite wrote:In what timeframe / when can we expect season 9 to launch?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rocket+league+season+9+start
legaCypowers
Acrobatic
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:16 pm
Steam ID: legacypowers
Region: South America

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby Scyonite on Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:36 pm

legaCypowers wrote:
Scyonite wrote:In what timeframe / when can we expect season 9 to launch?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rocket+league+season+9+start


Oh shit I just got lmgtfy'd :o unfortunately for you no sources to that question actually have the answer. That's why I asked this question in a thread where I'm most likely going to get a response.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+to+correctly+use+lmgtfy.com

"Ever get a question from someone who could've easily just Googled it?"
zGreenMachine wrote:
JHZER wrote:I'm really struggling with RL, the game doesn't excite me and that's why I don't wanna stream it or do gameplay videos. I need something new and different to the game but I know only cosmetics are added which makes me sad.
Scyonite
Battle-Car
User avatar
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 907
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby Elyruin on Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:26 am

Lol the lmgtfy
Check out my channel for live streams and videos:
https://www.youtube.com/labxflamingo

Grow your YouTube channel with YouWatch!
https://www.youwatch.shop
Elyruin
Acrobatic
User avatar
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:52 pm
Steam ID: Flamingo
GamerTag: LaB x Flamingo
Region: United States

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby [SPN] Archangel on Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:49 am

Dirkened wrote:Alongside these additions to Competitive play, Rumble, Dropshot, Hoops and Snow Day will no longer appear as Casual Playlist options.


This is a very bad idea. There is a lot of players that don't like to play ranked because of the pressure and because you have to always play for the win for all cost etc., so removing these non-standard modes from casual playlist will be gamebreaking for a lot of people.

These non-standard modes (especially Rumble) are the only place where you can just relax and play really only for fun. That's something very important and the standard modes (1v1, 2v2, 3v3 and 4v4) doesn't offer that. Even when you are playing the standard modes in casual playlist people still tryharding there a lot and they expect you to do the same and if you don't then they start to insult you, report you or they leave the match. In non-standard modes this almost doesn't happen (at least it's definitely happening way less than in standard modes) because people really just want to have fun there.

By removing the non-standard modes from casual playlist you are basically removing all the fun from the game because when these modes will be ranked only you will have to always tryhard and go for the win for all cost, there will be no time for relaxing or having fun. If you will not play for the win you will get reported by other people and maybe you will get even banned.

Another problem is that you will force everyone to play ranked only which means it will create a playerbase that will be mix of tryhards that will always want everyone to play for the win because "it's ranked" and players that just want to have fun with non-standard modes without having to tryhard but their only option will be to play them in ranked. I think this will create a lot of conflicts.

Your argument for this is that having those modes in both playlists (casual and ranked) would split the playerbase and it would be hard to find a match because of that. I think when you put those modes to ranked playlist it will increase the number of players in those modes (at least in ranked version for sure) so there will not be any problem to have those non-standard modes in both playlists. But even if the searching for the match would be delayed I would still rather wait 5 minutes to find a match than being connected immedietly but being forced to play ranked only.
[SPN] Archangel
Acrobatic
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:51 am
Region: Europe

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby Hydroxyde on Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:56 pm

I know for a fact this won't work on SAM as we currently have to wait about 4 mins to get a 3v3 game on champ. So... yeah brace yourself guys as you will see me and my 160ms on your champ games :P

Sadly the population split will harm region with less population the worst. Looking at OCE too...
Image
Hydroxyde
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 209
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:06 am
Steam ID: hdxyde
Region: Chile

Re: Competitive Season 8 Rewards and Season 9 Details

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:56 am

As usual, Psyonix is going with an all-or-nothing approach, for this.
I just don't get why they can't move more slowly with this stuff, with targeted, incremental improvements.
In this instance, I think they should have implemented "seasons" for the sports modes, like we have in real life.

Season 9 could have included Hoops as a Ranked mode, with the other sports modes remaining in Unranked.
When Season 10 rolls around, it would be a perfect opportunity for "Hockey Season", followed by "Rumble Season", and "DropShot Season".

They could even take those opportunities to introduce new maps into those seasons, like slipping the Anniversary map into Hockey Season, where it should have been from the start.
Instead, they are basically thumbing their noses at a sizable portion of their user base who play the sports modes as a getaway from the stresses of other modes.
NoOne-NBA
Moderator
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 2889
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:40 am
Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest