How to improve on reading ball path?

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

How to improve on reading ball path?

Postby Prism on Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:38 am

When observing the pros one thing they all have in common is that they are very skilled with reading and predicting the ball trajectory as it travels through the air.
Going through my own strengths/weaknesses - I find that this is something that I lack and need to improve upon to a great extent.

I recently made it into Diamond (3v3) and now more than ever I realize that I am far behind other players on this thing specificly.
I have over 1200 hours in game so its not a matter of "play more, it will come". I seem to be unable to improve on this by just playing games and doing training packs. My car control is good, probably better than others on my skill level, and my positional play is also very good - it was something that I was able to learn quickly and improve by just playing games.
But I have just no idea on how to improve ball reads, make accurate and timely jumps and so on...

Has anyone else been in the same situation and found a solution?
Prism
Supersonic

Re: How to improve on reading ball path?

Postby OsoMako on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:17 pm

You need to go for shots you feel uncomfortable with, fewer in ranked, more in unranked, and everything in free play. It's practice. It's knowing the game and how bounces pan out and how other players will probably react to them. Training packs will help you a lot with knowing what kind of shots are possible, but reading the shots themselves comes down to applying those training packs to everything you set your eyes on. Really, the best type of training for reading aerial shots are the super hard redirect packs. You'll get intimate with turning your car into obscene angles to get the shot on target. But the next step is more important -- getting the shot on target and getting it on target with SPEED. It's good to know how to hit a change-up, but it's better to learn how to deal fastballs. And it's all down to practice.

Focus first on consistency. If you can put it on target consistently, that's often good enough for diamond. If you can hit them on target with speed consistently, then that's good enough for champ.
Steam and Psyonix Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby Tentacles on Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:33 pm

I've read pros say they aim for the very center of all the ball.
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby zGreenMachine- on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 pm

play more, it will come ;)

It's true though. Keep at it, the more you practice a specific skill the better you'll get at it. Wall drags used to be the most impossible thing ever for me until I sat down and dedicated hours to learning it.

Redirect packs definitely help. You can find them through the browser or I can provide a short list of training pack codes if you want. I still practice those quite often and I can hit a lot of the shots. But when I find a shot I can't get in the first couple tries I'll repeat that shot over and over and over until I start to get it right consecutively. Also practice making clean shots too with power behind the hits, and not just shots that bounce in.

just wanted to add this if you're interested in trying it: 6F09-D7A8-A8E3-7A0F
As far as redirect packs go it's probably one of the easier ones, but it was also the first redirect pack I tried close to 2 years ago and for me it was a game changer. None of the shots are like impossible angles or anything so it's great for mastering the basics I think. Back in the day I was so proud of being able to just score some of those shots, and now I can freestyle most of them lol
psyonix
zGreenMachine-
Missile-Guided
Missile-Guided

PSN ID: xGR33NM4CH1N3x
Steam ID: 76561198098758739
Region: US Central

Postby OsoMako on Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:08 pm

Now that I think of it, I remember that while training I used to repeat to myself "where am I going to be when I meet this ball" or "where can I meet this ball and make a big hit" and keep visualizing that every single aerial, and fly towards that path. Then it's just a matter of smacking it with the right car orientation so that it goes down to the net. I can't tell if that's obvious or not, but there you go.
Steam and Psyonix Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby Hydroxyde on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:19 am

I use the camera as a visual cue. I boost up just until the camera stop following me in height. That way i know i'm leveled with the ball the rest is just feathering the boost to meet the ball

This is just an easier / less skillful way of getting the job done, most pros and good players just relay on pure instinct to go for these shots
I was explaining this to a friend the other day so i happen to have a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o58rjG5o06Y

Hope it helps
Hydroxyde
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hdxyde
Region: Chile

Postby HAKKO on Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:01 pm

I agree with a few above-play more. You are ranked where you should be for that amount of hours! fwiw I have between 2x and 3x your hours. Oso was 100% in his suggestion to get uncomfortable. That also applies on defense, you might be challenging too early or too late, and you probably already know the spots you get confused on. Another thing-if you aren't reading the ball well, then your positioning CAN'T be "very good." This makes me feel that you are a passive player, making sure you get on defense, and are passive to take a shot when your team has possession and you are 3rd. If this is the case, then you likely are in horrible position (in front of the net) to do anything but make an impossible guess on how to defend a lob around the crossbar. The way to improve (again, IF this is the case) is to be more aggressive when your team sets up a shot for the third player (otherwise they are playing 2v3), and to learn how to shadow your defenders, by facing the same direction as the ball handler while keeping close to the ball.
HAKKO
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: HAKKO
Region: PC, east/west us

Postby xkoeckiiej on Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:52 pm

I just learned that bakkesmod has a function which shows you the ballpath in freeplay
Might wanna check it out
RIP RocketLeagueStats :(
xkoeckiiej
Assault-Craft
Assault-Craft

PSN ID: xkoeckiiej_nl
Steam ID: xkoeckiiej
Region: EU

Return to General Discussion