Why does this game punish you so much? Ranking Questions?

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Why does this game punish you so much? Ranking Questions?

Postby Quantium G on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:21 am

Granted, I only started playing the game back in March of this year, so I don't have total mastery in understanding every aspect of the game or how everything works, but I've been wondering this alot. And, admittedly so, it's very frustrating. Now, I'm not going to sit here and complain about the ranking system and blah blah blah, but I was just looking for some other opinions or information on this. As it currently exists, the competitive system will basically punish for you everything other then winning every single match you play. While this is pretty much impossible in a real-world, matchmaking scenario, there really doesn't seem to be any leeway in terms of loosing and the online, competitive ranking system. What do I mean by this? Let's say you just ranked up to S1D1 from B3D4. If you loose your next match, you immediately get de-ranked back to B3D4. Why? Why isn't there like 3-4 loss buffer in place, so things aren't so see-sawish? Yes, I know people will probably say that it has to do with who you play a match against, determines how much of hit you take, but still. It makes it so GD fraustrating when the excitement of moving into another new rank is completely dissolved in 5 minutes if you loose, because you KNOW you HAVE to win the next match after ranking up, otherwise, it cancels itself out. (I'm talking about major ranks, ie. Bronze to Silver, etc., not divisions).

Next, if your playing competitive during a season, and you achieve your required rank requirements, why aren't you "locked" into that rank for the rest of the season? With no possibility of de-ranking, regardless of how much you loose? While I understand that some people could abuse this by being carried by better players, more often then not, a player achieves a rank because they earned it, or spent time working up to it. So, say I rank up to Gold, which is still my goal for this season, and I complete my 10 matches at Gold to determine my overall rank within Gold. Once that happens, I should be "locked" into Gold for the rest of the reason, or any other rank until the Season reset takes place. This would provide a tremendous relief because, at where I'm at now, probably 95% of my gametime is spent just trying to get out of Bronze. (Been doing 3v3 mostly, wisened up, currently just doing 2v2). This would provide so much more room for player improvement, as your consistently playing against better skilled players, so you would naturally improve, instead of wasting 90% of your time, playing with frickin' clowns, HOPING to rank back out of Bronze, and get back to playing against people who help you improve, and aren't just casual playing around in competitive? The biggest causality of this type of system, occurred to me about 3 weeks ago, when in 36 hours, I lost.......37? matches IN..A...ROW. Now, are you trying to tell me, that after ranking up to S2D2, I suddenly forgot how to play for 2 days? Thus, de-ranking me ALL the way back down to B2D2? Do you see how a "locked" rank would've eliminated this? Now, it's "back to the drawing boards" trying to rank BACK out of Bronze AGAIN.

The game punishes you too much. Abandon a match? Punished. Teammates leave, and the other team is up by 4-6, so you have no way of winning? Punished for leaving a match you probably aren't going to win. Server disconnect and you can't re-connect before the match ends? Punished. Game crashes and you can't re-connect in time? Punished. Get stuck with un-ranked players when your Silver, meaning unless you win the whole game by yourself, your probably going to loose? Punished. And yes, I understand the "sportsmanship" of leaving a match before it ends, but let's be honest. If your getting shutdown by another team by 6+ points, and it's 30 seconds to go? Guess what? Your not going to win. SO WHY DOES THE GAME PUNISH YOU FOR LEAVING? The match is over. As if facing a loss that big isn't annoying enough, the game is like "Yep, either your going to take the loss and de-rank, or if you leave, you'll probably get a temp. ban and get de-ranked regardless". WTF? If the penalities for leaving a match early are so severe and inescapable, why even have or give the player the ability to do so? Either way, it counts against you. Yes, I'm still just a beginner, but I try to improve everytime I play, and I don't like leaving matches, but, well.....you know. I don't have to explain that.

I'm not trying to sound as if things should be changed in the way the ranking system works, just to suit me. I don't have any problem with how it currently works, but let's be honest, there's room for improvements that would help almost any player. And this doesn't really apply to skilled players at higher levels, Platinum+, etc. But it starts to get, almost futile? Because, you end up spending literally 90% of a season just beboping back and forth between the bottom 2 tiers. Does playing 1v1, really the only way to subvert this? Or just 2v2? Thanks for any information. Not trying to sound stupid, still learning, but just have questions.
Quantium G
Supersonic

GamerTag: Quantium G

Re: Why does this game punish you so much? Ranking Questions

Postby Doomstrike on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:37 am

You Generally have a buffer, when you div up into a new rank like silver to gold you usually land in gold div 2. You have to move a chunk into the next rank to usually avoid what you are talking about. Generally the game will give you a 2 loss bufffer before demoting you. A lot of that depends also on how many games you have played.

The ranks in this game just give you a visual representation of your MMR which is what you get matched with to play online. So in this case no you should not be locked because like you mentioned if you lost 37 games in a row the rank you achived wasn't something you could maintain and the system was correcting itself. Remeber this system isn't a ladder for you to climb above ranked people. If this was a solo game maybe locking you in ranks would be ok but since this is a team based game it's not fair to force someone to play with you if say you climbed to diamond or smurfed to a rank you don't belong in only to suck and lose the next 500 games causing how many other players to have to pay for you being in the wrong ranks. There are already enough posts about people being carried or so and so doesn't belong in x rank. Locking people in would be a disaster.

Lastly don't forget once you have your rewards just enjoy life it doesn't matter what rank you are in, what matters is good and fun matches. It doesn't matter if you are diamond or bronze as long as it's a good match. The other thing I recommend is unranked. Play, don't quit and your unranked MMR will go up to the point where 90% of the time you will get full games played with no one jumping in and out and it's stress free as there is no rank or penalty. For example I have like maybe 200 games played in ranked this season and probably like 500 in unranked. I much more enjoy unranked and only play ranked with 2 or 3 people that insist on it because there unranked mmr is terrible compaired to ranked
Doomstrike

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby Scyonite on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:57 am

Scyonite
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby NoOne-NBA on Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:54 am

This is a RANKING system, not a progression system.

The game RANKS you at whatever point you are currently winning some, and losing some.
That isn't a set point, that can just be locked down.
Your actual skill will vary up and down, and your rank should reflect those fluctuations.

If you think you deserve a higher rank than you currently have...WIN MORE, and prove it.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Spiffers on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:26 am

I'm a little put off by some of the things you're quoting as punshments - Yes, if you abandon a game, you should be punished. ESPECIALLY since in both situations you put scores in for, they were 2 goal games. Those games can turn around in 10 seconds with a couple lucky kickoffs. Or in the 4-6 game... are you saying you've left after one of your teammates left, then got punished for it? That shouldn't be the case. I will agree that it's frustrating when you do get into a game where there's no hope of winning (a difference of over 4 goals with under a minute left, for sure), and your teammates make you stick it out. But guess what - it's a minute. If you think that's bad, go play MoBAs, where if someone wants to lock you into a game, it could be for 5, 10, 15 minutes... heck, it can be even longer.

I will give one opinion - I do feel like if everyone has cast a forfeit vote at some point in the game, either the game should refresh all forfeit votes, or should then allow players to leave the match from then on. It doesn't make sense to lock players into a match that, at some point, they all agreed to leave.

As for your other points - I don't have more to add than those above me, so I'll leave that with them
Spiffers
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby Quantium G on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:44 am

Thanks for all the replies. Good information. NBA, it's not that I think I deserve a higher rank then I am, I'm still a beginner. I was just saying that I wished the win/loss, up-rank/de-rank wasn't so all over the place? Because it's not like someone can suddenly or overtime, get worse as a player, is it? Logically, overtime, you would expect to see gradual, if not SOME improvement?
Quantium G
Supersonic

Postby Scyonite on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:52 am

You gotta see it like this: most matches give at most +15 MMR. GC is for 2v2 and 3v3 standard at around 1.5k MMR and pros cap out at around 2k. One match is not more important than 1% of the overall scale. Surely, if you're 5% below or above your actual level you'll start seeing matches become a bit more decided by either you or the opponent team. The more matches you play, the better matchmaking and the ranked system will be able to determine your rank. Surely one undeserved overtime goal is kind of a monkey wrench, but if you play 20 more games during that day, this one overtime is likely not going to have any impact on your final rank, given that you're not affected mentally by this match. But I hear you in saying the overall process could be less punishing, much like the video I linked explains too.
Scyonite
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby NoOne-NBA on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:48 am

Quantium G wrote:Because it's not like someone can suddenly or overtime, get worse as a player, is it? Logically, overtime, you would expect to see gradual, if not SOME improvement?

The timing in Rocket League is absolutely a perishable skill.

If you don't practice daily, your skill level will drop.
Most of those drops are temporary, but you still don't want to be matched up with people who are playing at the level you USED TO play at, when you're not at that level currently.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Midremit on Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:37 am

Quantium G wrote:Thanks for all the replies. Good information. NBA, it's not that I think I deserve a higher rank then I am, I'm still a beginner. I was just saying that I wished the win/loss, up-rank/de-rank wasn't so all over the place? Because it's not like someone can suddenly or overtime, get worse as a player, is it? Logically, overtime, you would expect to see gradual, if not SOME improvement?

I haven't read everything in this thread, but I think you could do with hiding your rank switches (I think this is possible ) it's not that the game punishes you hard, it's a psychological thing of you giving value to a rank, while it doesn't matter at all when your just started. The reason you get flung from one rank to another is because you haven't played a lot of games.

I always look at my seasonal improvement, a - roughly - 3 month interval. The reason being the one you said, that people don't get worse/better immediately.

Enjoy playing!

Edit: please never abandon games. With enough determination and in time skill you'll do incredible comebacks. Best feeling you can get out of this game when it happens imo.
Midremit
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midremit
Region: Europe

Postby xl biz lx on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:05 am

Doomstrike wrote:The other thing I recommend is unranked. Play, don't quit and your unranked MMR will go up to the point where 90% of the time you will get full games played with no one jumping in and out and it's stress free as there is no rank or penalty. For example I have like maybe 200 games played in ranked this season and probably like 500 in unranked. I much more enjoy unranked and only play ranked with 2 or 3 people that insist on it because there unranked mmr is terrible compaired to ranked

I have to say that this is incorrect. I have about 6k or more matches played between ranked and casual. I still get put into games that have an overwhelming score to try and come back from or there is less that 90 secs remaining. ALL THE TIME. I never quit games, even if there is 34 secs left when I load in. Why? So my 'mmr' doesnt tank because i quit. Yet i get matched with players that love to quit as soon as they think they cannot win, ranked and casual. This game does not do anything close to a decent job of matching casual players together at all. If it does for you, you are an exception.
xl biz lx
Supersonic

GamerTag: xl Biz lx
Region: US

Postby Spiffers on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:41 pm

xl biz lx wrote:
Doomstrike wrote:The other thing I recommend is unranked. Play, don't quit and your unranked MMR will go up to the point where 90% of the time you will get full games played with no one jumping in and out and it's stress free as there is no rank or penalty. For example I have like maybe 200 games played in ranked this season and probably like 500 in unranked. I much more enjoy unranked and only play ranked with 2 or 3 people that insist on it because there unranked mmr is terrible compaired to ranked

I have to say that this is incorrect. I have about 6k or more matches played between ranked and casual. I still get put into games that have an overwhelming score to try and come back from or there is less that 90 secs remaining. ALL THE TIME. I never quit games, even if there is 34 secs left when I load in. Why? So my 'mmr' doesnt tank because i quit. Yet i get matched with players that love to quit as soon as they think they cannot win, ranked and casual. This game does not do anything close to a decent job of matching casual players together at all. If it does for you, you are an exception.

The first game you play in a set isn't indicative of the matchmaking skill - that's just the system trying to put non-bots into games. We're talking about trying to stay in unranked for a while so you're there from the start. Those games that are hugely one-sided are often caused BECAUSE people don't give them a chance - a person or 2 leaves after a couple goals, and then that team never gets back to 3 players for more than 15 seconds at a time. Don't take the score of a game as a measure of how good the next game may be with the people already in that match.
Spiffers
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Spiffers wrote:The first game you play in a set isn't indicative of the matchmaking skill...

I would elaborate on that by pointing out that any match where the matchmaking system has to find six random people, and throw them onto teams, will likely be less balanced than a match where five people have stayed from the previous match, and the matchmaker only has to find ONE person to fill the rosters out.
It's just much easier for the matchmaker to find that ONE perfect person, than it is for it to find SIX.
From my personal experience, those follow-up matches have often been some of the best matches I've played in this game.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Quantium G on Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Well, it turns out, since I originally posted the topic, I've proven my own theory TRUE, as playing just 2v2 is a MASSIVE improvement in terms of progression, and actually winning because you play good. :) WHY I didn't figure this out 2 months ago, I don't know. :P
Quantium G
Supersonic

Postby xl biz lx on Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:46 pm

Spiffers wrote:
xl biz lx wrote:

The first game you play in a set isn't indicative of the matchmaking skill - that's just the system trying to put non-bots into games. We're talking about trying to stay in unranked for a while so you're there from the start. Those games that are hugely one-sided are often caused BECAUSE people don't give them a chance - a person or 2 leaves after a couple goals, and then that team never gets back to 3 players for more than 15 seconds at a time. Don't take the score of a game as a measure of how good the next game may be with the people already in that match.

This only works if you stay in the lobby and the others as well. Most of the time people quit and search for another game, I do often because I don't want to play with the people I just played with or I hope I get a different game mode the next match. The most common mode to get dropped in during progress is standard. All they need to do is set the game to not bring in someone searching for a session if say, more than a minute or two have passed. I don't care if I win or lose casual matches, but don't throw me in a game that I have no chance at having any fun trying to win when there is no chance. Also, don't throw me in just as everyone quit with time remaining so I get the loss just as it makes the game auto forfeit because all players have left. These are the biggest complaints I have about casual, they shouldn't be hard to fix and make QOL improvements in casual matches.
xl biz lx
Supersonic

GamerTag: xl Biz lx
Region: US

Postby littlebigleg on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:59 am

hitting a rank can be nice ,but at the end of the day it means nowt,i play with lots of folks an nobody wears there rewards,If you play for fun,you will rank up if you are enjoying youself,Stop caring about such nonsense
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Return to General Discussion