Rocket League noncompetitive tryhards.

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Rocket League noncompetitive tryhards.

Postby FireyGamingSRB on Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:11 am

Hello. I want to talk about RL. Of course from topic I am gonna talk about it's players. You know there are two modes...
(Casual, Competitive) And actually I'm getting mad because most of people tryhard in Casual. Why? It's nothing. You won't earn rank or division up.
Actually if someone can answer why? Please list it below.
FireyGamingSRB
Supersonic

Steam ID: FireyGamingSRB

Re: Rocket League noncompetitive tryhards.

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:15 am

I am a so-called try-hard. Why anyone would not care to even try in a game that is uber-competitive blows my mind. It's fun, great practice for ranked, gets you additional XP and unlockables, and makes sense. Why even play (and ruin the fun of others) if you're not even going to try? To me, that's what's really BS...
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby Scyonite on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:56 am

^ ditto.

And there is MMR. The better you play, the better opponents you get.
AlexCuse44
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby Spiffers on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:20 am

Also, what's even your definition of "tryhard" in solos? I would bet that the people you are calling tryhards are the people goofing around (pulling off ridiculous shots and everything with ease) because they have practice to back them up, while the people who are there because they typically don't play ranked and are trying to improve their skills are seen as the... I guess casuals?

In a game like this, there's not much of an indicator of if you're being a tryhard - other than maybe quick-chat spam - as the point of the game is still to try to have fun, and when someone is having fun with a lot of skill... well, you get "tryhards"
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby FireyGamingSRB on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:18 am

Actually mostly, I know about MMR, "great practice for competitive" I played 10 matches with a guy. Also, bumping always is practice for competitive? The enemies are carried so much. Although why do you need some normal very rare or rare "painted" items. If you are going to tryhard, please go to competitive. I mostly take casual as the fun modes.
FireyGamingSRB
Supersonic

Steam ID: FireyGamingSRB

Postby Scyonite on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:58 am

I will tryhard in casual how I like it and I expect my opponent to do the same. We're playing a competitive game after all. I'm fine with you playing for fun. I play for fun too. I enjoy playing to my full potential. Who are you to deny my fun if I don't even deny yours? Suck it up or go play Hello Kitty Island Adventures.
AlexCuse44
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Postby BigbearXBA on Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:27 am

When you play multiplayer games with teammates you have a social responsibility to try as best you can so you don’t ruin their experience. Unless you are playing exclusively with friends and as a group you have decided not to try your best. Otherwise, when playing with strangers the assumed social convention is to try to help your teammates as much as possible. If you “are just having fun” by not trying your best you shouldn’t play multiplayer, team based games. Casual versus competitive (which is a poor semantic choice, “ranked” is a much better descriptor) is irrelevant to the social expectations.

The fact that “try hard” has become a pejorative used the way it is now (as opposed to being a replacement for “poser” like it was in the 80s/90s) is an embarrassment to modern culture.
BigbearXBA
Acrobatic

GamerTag: bigbear XBA

Postby Dizzy Boy on Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

Ranked matches piss me off to much. Casual is way more fun.
Tbh though, the end of season rewards aren't even that great really. I know they're free, but I just don't feel the need to put the effort into getting some items I'm never gonna use and can't even trade.
Dizzy Boy
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Switch Friend Code: SW-0262-8074-7921

Postby Scyonite on Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Dizzy Boy wrote:Ranked matches piss me off to much. Casual is way more fun.
Tbh though, the end of season rewards aren't even that great really. I know they're free, but I just don't feel the need to put the effort into getting some items I'm never gonna use and can't even trade.

Pretty much the same. Casual for me is pretty much a toxicity free environment. Ranked never is, it's more often the opponent team than my team, which I kinda love seeing lol. But when my own team gets toxic that's why I go back to casual. I don't understand the need for toxicity in an attempt to correct one's team or to try and relieve the own team from bad plays. It never works. Kinda went off topic here lul.

I only really play ranked for the rewards. Everyone season now will just be the necessary games for Champ rewards and I'm gone, from ranked. Later to be disappointed by the season rewards and question why I put in the effort of ranked to receive clutter...
AlexCuse44
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Postby Ownagedood on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:41 pm

Who wants to lose? That's no fun. I don't try as hard in casual but I do drive around like a maniac and try to win as much as i can. Usually the main difference with me from casual to ranked is that in casual im not really paying all that much attention to my position and im not usually rotating since it's not a huge deal if you let a goal or 2 go in an unimportant game. Still trying to win but eh, why not have fun while doing it?

Just a tip if you want to play in easier games. Usually less skilled or serious people are in the chaos games. Maybe rumble too but thats a whole different game.
Ownagedood
Supersonic

Steam ID: LethalSlim
Switch Friend Code: 6860-4761-5219

Postby OsoMako on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:22 am

I pretty much only play casual, like honestly 95% of the time. I'll only play ranked when I'm feeling really spunky or a friend wants to do it. Starting from about season 3, I just stopped enjoying ranked. It wasn't fun to be playing with children (and adults) that just get pissy and point fingers whenever they lose. Like c'mon, it's a game, somebody wins and somebody loses. It doesn't have to be a reflection on your worth as a person, or something to get defensive about or be an ass about. Bounces work out in your favor or against it, one of you is on your game and maybe the other is off of it. It doesn't mean you have to stop playing or keep playing past when you want to. Nobody's forcing you to do anything, to play or not play. The game is about enjoyment.

And because it's about enjoyment, I try hard in unranked, because I can still get a competitive atmosphere against great opponents but without most of the typical toxicity that comes with ranked. And yeah, that does include demoing people often, because that's one of the ways in which you win games. But you know what I do when somebody gets a clean demo or hit on me and then scores on me? I call that fair game. I should've avoided getting hit and made you pay for being out of position by going for a demo. It's all a part of the game.

If you don't want to try in casual, that's okay. I get that. Just don't actively throw the game and I won't be angry at you for doing silly meme shots. I'll play a bit more passive and make up for your mistakes. We'll go nuts when you sink one of those silly hits. And laugh when you miss. Because it's a game -- we're here to have fun, and that means different things to different people.
Steam and Psyonix Forum Moderator
Unite against controller prejudice, my fellow KB+Mers!
OsoMako

Steam ID: OsoMako
Region: US West

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 am

in casual im not really paying all that much attention to my position and im not usually rotating since it's not a huge deal if you let a goal or 2 go in an unimportant game. Still trying to win but eh, why not have fun while doing it?

Because while you're having fun "not really trying" you're unintentionally ruining the fun of the game for others, like myself, who do still view the casual game as important... It's your exact viewpoint that makes casual such a pain in the butt for those of us that care, and is what leads to everyone so quickly and easily quitting before the match has even ended, which only makes things worse for those who choose to stay in an ever-bleaker attempt at keeping their MMR from falling due to the ignorance or "uncaringness" of others...
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek

Postby Anvede on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:29 am

I use unranked to warm up for ranked, or just have some fun, without the pressure of ranked and demoting etc. also if you happen to hve a bad day, but still want to enjoy rocket league without totally demolishing your rank, casual is the option to go. Its not that i play casual to tryhard, but sometimes i do, and i think there is nothing wromg with it.
Anvede
Supersonic

Steam ID: Anvede

Postby Pixxel WIzzard on Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:51 am

FireyGamingSRB wrote:Hello. I want to talk about RL. Of course from topic I am gonna talk about it's players. You know there are two modes...
(Casual, Competitive) And actually I'm getting mad because most of people tryhard in Casual. Why? It's nothing. You won't earn rank or division up.

So, if I understand your reasoning correctly, players in a game should only "try their best" or "try hard" when there's something on the line, like rank or a reward of some kind. Is that correct?

You know, I grew up playing basketball at my local city park. Pick-up games where you didn't know most of the guys on your team. There were no rewards for winning, no rank to be earned, or anything like that, but those were some of the most competitive and fun games I've ever played. You should have seen how hard everyone was trying!

In my opinion, if you need a reward to be competitive and motivated to "try hard" then your reasons for playing might be pretty shallow.
Pixxel WIzzard
Supersonic

Steam ID: Pixxel Wizzard

Postby sumatchi on Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Casual is my time to "try harder" and to try mechanics I wouldn't normally try like flying upside down and freestyling. I may seem like I'm trying harder, but I don't want to practice/try something out in ranked
sumatchi
Supersonic

PSN ID: Sumatchi
Steam ID: Twitch.tv/sumatchi

Postby steblood on Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:28 pm

To be fair.... Everybody (Even the OP) has missed the point here.....

The OP must be competitive to complain he keeps losing to better players.

If that's not competitive, what is?
Motherboard: X299-A | CPU: i9-7900X | RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz | GPU: 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti | SSD: 500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD | HDD: 2TB SATA-III | PSU: 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
steblood
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: steblood
Steam ID: steblood

Postby CoyoteRys on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:04 pm

I laugh at people that use the term "Try Hards" as a derogatory title. I wear it as a badge of honor. People that don't try to improve themselves are almost as despicable as smurfs.
CoyoteRys
Acrobatic

Postby lovillela on Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:42 pm

Pixxel WIzzard wrote:
FireyGamingSRB wrote:Hello. I want to talk about RL. Of course from topic I am gonna talk about it's players. You know there are two modes...

So, if I understand your reasoning correctly, players in a game should only "try their best" or "try hard" when there's something on the line, like rank or a reward of some kind. Is that correct?

You know, I grew up playing basketball at my local city park. Pick-up games where you didn't know most of the guys on your team. There were no rewards for winning, no rank to be earned, or anything like that, but those were some of the most competitive and fun games I've ever played. You should have seen how hard everyone was trying!

In my opinion, if you need a reward to be competitive and motivated to "try hard" then your reasons for playing might be pretty shallow.

When I was younger I used to have the same line of reasoning as OP.
"It's just a game, not a championship" . I used to invoke this argument over and over again during my youth.
Mainly because:
  • I didn't like what i was playing
  • I didn't like my teammates
  • Too lazy to try anything
I regret ever doing that because I was being selfish. Loosing didn't really matter to me, but it mattered to them.
So stupid young me.

Thankfully i don't do that anymore.
I was play giving my best (even if i'ts not much), and I never leave a match (only if real life makes me do so).

:backfire:
lovillela
Supersonic

PSN ID: lovillela
Steam ID: luis3620

Postby acme420 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:21 am

this is the same problem i have in ranked. in unranked games it's fun and happy and i win a lot because the people i play with are actually trying hard to win as a team. when im in a ranked game 90% of my teammates are ball chasing idiots, throwers, trolls, and people who just aren't trying at all to win or even play as a team, they just wanna race around and touch ball as much as possible. these people need to take their stupid asses to funkin unranked.
acme420
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: ĜơƋƨ[ƝǢκέƉ]Ɗɐɗ roflc
Region: United States

Postby chucklepie on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 am

Not everyone wants to play competitive, stop thinking everybody is like you - if you want to do attempt fancy moves and your opponent just taps it in off your mistake then get better. I play casual simply because I have no need to rank up, but still want to be competitive - if you don't try hard you keep playing rookies, which is no fun.

The other thing, is if you don't play casual like you do ranked then you're changing the way you play, which will just make you worse.
chucklepie
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Next

Return to General Discussion