Ban Smurf players?

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

Ban Smurf players?

Postby VolvoxMonkey on Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:02 am

Might be a GREAT idea to ban people who use smurf account or are playing very far below their rank. It absolutely ruins the game when you are in silver and have to play people who should be in high gold or even plat.
VolvoxMonkey
Supersonic

Steam ID: VolvozMonkey
Region: Netherlands

Re: Ban Smurf players?

Postby Spiffers on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:40 am

There's one significant problem with this - There's multiple platforms on which you can play this game, and there's no way to link the accounts to match them up. Rocket League also doesn't ask you "How much prior experience do you have with this game?".

This means that if anyone changes platforms for any reason - Because they got a good PC and want to try it out at higher settings; because their friends all play on XBox and they've played on PS4 all this time; they just got a switch and they want to try it on the highly mobile platform. All sorts of reasons, and they'd all be labelled as "smurfs" when a lot of the time, they're forced to play on a new account and work their way through.

If you do mean people making multiple accounts off one purchase - I don't think this happens through steam anymore (only the main purchaser can play online now, although I could be wrong), and as for console markets, I have very little experience, but one thing is very clear - unless their only goal is to keep playing and stomping newbies, it's not REALLY a problem, as they will make their way back to where their skill should have them in a decent timeframe.
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby VolvoxMonkey on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 pm

but one thing is very clear - unless their only goal is to keep playing and stomping newbies, it's not REALLY a problem, as they will make their way back to where their skill should have them in a decent timeframe.

THIS isn't how it works, you could destroy players below your level and then go ahead and lose games on purpose, just to keep a lower rank.

Instead you could just add a smurf option to the report menu. When there is enough reports, you can ask a player to show prove that they just switched platforms and if they can't show sufficient prove, you can ban them.

Another thing, I just got chat banned for 3 days, because I got quite angry at one of those noobs who are playing below their rank. So they are the ones ruining the game and I am the one getting a ban. GREAT JOB managing your game Psyonix. It's a shame I can't get a refund, because I would if I could.
VolvoxMonkey
Supersonic

Steam ID: VolvozMonkey
Region: Netherlands

Postby Spiffers on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:40 pm

Ok, you're not wrong - someone COULD do this. And they probably should have a system against this - however, what proof do you have that this is occurring? Do you watch a streamer who's doing this, and that's where you get the idea? This is not a rampant issue, I can pretty much guarantee it.

Heck, there was a period of time where I didn't play casuals for like... 2 seasons. And when I came back, I was tiers above where I used to be and I was stomping people. There's so many reasons that someone could be mis-ranked, you're never going to know what it was for unless they admit it. And if they do admit it, report them for unsportsmanlike behaviour, and it should be dealt with accordingly. Otherwise, it's gonna happen from time to time for various reasons
Spiffers
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby Doomstrike on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:35 am

Psyonix has ways of dealing with and identifying those Smurfs and they get banned / lose rewards
You got chat ban by an automated system. Just report the guy under cheating / unsportsmanlike like and and say nothing. Trolls tolling you and they are winning since all they had to do was report your language and the system did the rest. That's all on you not Psyonix, play by the rules or get banned... Eventually
Doomstrike

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby AFDIZZYD on Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:48 pm

VolvoxMonkey wrote:Another thing, I just got chat banned for 3 days, because I got quite angry at one of those noobs who are playing below their rank. So they are the ones ruining the game and I am the one getting a ban. GREAT JOB managing your game Psyonix. It's a shame I can't get a refund, because I would if I could.

You're funny. What an oxymoron this is... I got angry at one of those noobs who are playing below their rank. Noobs = Playing below their rank. Insert mini violin here.
This is AFDIZZYD signing out!
AFDIZZYD
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: AFDIZZYD
Region: USA

Return to Suggestions