Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby FlashPower on Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am

Scyonite wrote:Lol mate.. that was at best a succeeded yet probably inconsistent hit for him. Do you see his recovery after? He fails to land on the wall and bounces off of it.. furthermore his save wasn't a clear at all. It's no use going for such a ball if you can't keep it from being scored afterwards. Do you know why I didn't mention it? Because it totally went past me, it's nothing out of the ordinary when taking into account the entire match. You're simply looking for reasons out of your control to lay blame on for your experience.. how about you start laying blame on reasons that are IN your control?

0:45 misses approach on a fairly easy wall hit.
0:56 crawls up on his teammate.
1:33 what on Earth is this rotation? He's clearly needed back at the goal.
1:45 either of them should've gone for kickoff (what is it in Plat and not going for kickoffs? In Champ 3 you can bet your ass someone always goes..)
2:11 his teammate clearly should've disengaged by now, and he doesn't know what to do.
2:18 still could've saved it, this is a ball with a similar trajectory and opportunity like your example, but here he's unable to do the same. In Champ 1 this ball would've probably been saved.
2:53 your example. He saves it, but he doesn't.
3:14 Ballside, ballside, ballside, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. My fingers just start to tingle when I see this.
3:52 A perfect example where he fails with regard to consistency.
4:27 fails to read his teammate's pass, could've been an easier goal.

Knallbirne, although not making too many macrogame mistakes is the same rank as you are mate. Just take a look from his perspective, he portrays the same level of consistency as you do, you just make a lot of rotational mistakes as an addition.

Your failure to properly assess any player on the field, including yourself, and instead looking for specific things to use as an assessment is the 4th thing that is a detriment to your experience. A single action on the field does not indicate skill. Repeated, consistent and well performed actions and choices do. And let me tell you that Champ 1 is vastly different in this regard than what we see here.

When this is the the level nowadays and it isnt much different to dia 2 or 3. Then my brain is simply not for such games. I so or so lost my motivation for it an ranked so or so. There is no way I bring the desire back for this game.

I probably will just do some free play training stuff just for fun, the game to his own is dead for me. Some brains are not made for it. BYE BYE and now for good.
FlashPower
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: gtaflash
Region: EU

Postby Scyonite on Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 pm

All I can say is that you yourself killed your desire for the game. The game did not do this, you just defeated yourself. Bye bye.
But at least Vanilla Scyonite is an OG Scyonite LLC.™ product
1337 Scyonite fizzly products LLC.™ - I am affiliated with myself
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Steam ID: Scyonite

Postby Spiffers on Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 pm

FlashPower wrote:
Scyonite wrote:I don't know if you don't read, but at this point you seem delusional. Your opponents were not stronger than you or your team. They made plenty mistakes. One single "high elo" play does not mean one is playing at that rank. Consistent plays at a higher rank are what make someone that rank. Your bias for believing your problem is out of your control is utterly astounding.

You cant explain the scene in 2:25 with this top skyrocketing aerial shot saving the ball what you normallie do in super high elos and not on plat 1. Good distracted.

Btw: Nobody may add me. I know what is going on, my motivations are dead for this broken ranked system. This game is just a good troll game now.

I've been attempting saves like that ever since I was High Silver. Did I make them all the time? HELL no. Did I make 1/10? STILL HELL no. Do I make that save nowadays 1/10 times? Probably that much now, at D3 skill, yes. And most of my misses are because I'm trying to NOT do what your opponent did (hit it straight into the back wall and leave it right in front of the net), and instead put it towards the corner. And as others have said - consistency is what makes high level play. This would be like if you pull in a replay where a guy pulls off a ceiling-flip-reset combo shot - sure, it's a "high level technique", but it's probably one of the only real tricks in the guy's arsenal. Or he got REAL lucky on that one specific play. It doesn't immediately mean they're D3 just because they hit a trick shot once, or even twice.
Spiffers
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Spiffers
Region: Canada

Postby Hydroxyde on Tue May 14, 2019 3:50 am

I'm not siding with him, but something I've noticed later after creating a second account, to have some perspective on how gameplay has evolved since i first started...

Is that everyone is flying or attempting to, even in lower levels. Positional mistakes are wild and roaming everywhere, but people seem to equate skill level to aerial control
That's what's really is happening.

You have players that learn to fly before they can learn to properly rotate, that in little stubborn heads create this delusion of players having a CHAMPION skill level (as they are EMULATING champion level, individual plays, but that's not what it means to be a champ level player.

A champ level player know when to overextend, when to rotate, when to go for a risky shot or an aerial.
It still gets beaten when facing higher speed, high level players with better reaction time and consistency

In short stop thinking 1 flashy play makes the player. They are just 1 trick ponies, that are not linking more than 2 plays together, not at all what other ranks look like
Hydroxyde
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hdxyde
Region: Chile

Postby Scyonite on Tue May 14, 2019 8:51 am

I think this actually might stem from watching too many pros/better players and too much pro gameplay/high level gameplay. Players that are way below that level in terms of macrogame won't see what a pro does regarding macrogame. They can't see into their minds, they can't read pros, even from a POV perspective. As a result they probably assign or associate their success to what they can see, flashyness. The success that Jstn and Squishy have, along with their well known status exaggerates this effect even more. Lower level players, however, probably won't understand how Dignitas' success in previous seasons came to be, 'cause I'd assign their success to top notch macrogame.

Good microgame has to be accompanied by good macrogame (going for an challenging aerial only when position allows or calls for it) as well as vice versa (being able to finish a play with sufficient control once the opportunity arises). The effect the eSports scene has is probably an overappreciation of microgame by those who can't entirely read RLCS/RLRS in terms of gameplay. I'm guessing this is way over the majority of the playerbase. Sometimes even the casters misread macrogame.The lower the rank gets, the worse it might be.

So to any readers that seem to be in the same ballpark as FlashPower (he said he's gone so now I can't address the bloody-minded dude), yet actually sincerely want to become better; don't underestimate macrogame (understanding of the game; when not to hit, when not to turn back to the ball, when to delay a play for maybe a teammate, etc). Macrogame comes with time, but it also comes with teaching and advice (and the willingness to accept said teaching/advice). I'd probably also argue that an overappreciation of microgame actually slows down or even halts macrogame progression. It might cause one to stay in Unconscious Incompetence in regard to some element of macrogame. For an article that goes in depth on these terms and this theory, click here.
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Postby Funnybear on Wed May 15, 2019 3:34 am

I have never really understood why rank noobies get placement games. Come in at bronze and work your way up. If you are a seasoned player (whilst maybe not high ranked as we dont all get to climb the ladder effectivly) with a couple of K hours in, then yea, place in plat or high gold. But when you consistently see unranked players coming in in gold and plat thinking they know the game it just makes a mockery of the whole system.
Funnybear
Supersonic

Postby Scyonite on Wed May 15, 2019 4:00 am

That's because the system can't discriminate players based on their amount of hours on whether or not (and how many) placement matches apply. Amount of hours played, although probably correlated, is not an inherent measure of skill. It'd be complete statistical spaghetti to try and figure out how to apply placements in such a way that it alleviates the problem you describe, but also having the system's stability and deflation/inflation remain intact. Placements are a way to make sure newcomers with fast learning capabilities (including those that portray to be; smurfs, etc) don't deflate playlist MMR. They're also a way to make sure the average amount of matches spent before achieving a maximally calibrated MMR is found is minimized. It enhances total system stability and dynamics as match rewards will be better optimized. Placements increase matchmaking AND MMR stability in games with a lot of newcomers.
Scyonite
Aerialistic
Aerialistic

Postby Tentacles on Wed May 15, 2019 12:54 pm

If one isn't willing to adapt or change their bad playstyles, they won't climb simple as that.
Tentacles
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Previous

Return to General Discussion