Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am

Midremit wrote:And I'd argue even that is because of your age (you are a bit older than most of us, right?

I think age and dedication are two of the major players, when it comes to rank in this game.
I'm "only" 53, but can definitely see where I am slower than I was 20 years ago, when I was playing arena shooters.

FlashPower is correct about there being minimum levels of mental acuity, manual dexterity, and reaction time necessary to reach high-Diamond.
The threshold for all of those are considerably lower than he believes them to be, however.
I have seen a lot of "high-Diamond" players who lack technical skill, compared to him.
The day he finally rounds out his game, with true teamwork, he'll be rocketing for the top.

While Age puts me behind the curve to start with, Dedication is the area where I really fall short, and I'm OK with that.
Where FlashPower has devoted his life to improving his technical skills, and grinds to learn each and every advanced technique, I refuse to do anything that isn't fun.
That approach leaves me having to learn everything on the fly, in actual matches, rather than benefiting from the muscle memory developed by repetition.

On the other side of this though, my approach allows me to enjoy myself during the process.
Good matches are the reward I am seeking, and I find a lot of them, regardless of the level at which they are played.
By contrast, FlashPower will be forever surrounded by frustration because his reward is higher rank, which has moving goalposts built into it, battling against any sense of contentment.
Where I am able to see the good games I am getting, and appreciate them in their own right, he can only see the "work" he still needs to put in, to reach his latest goal.
NoOne-NBA
Moderator
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:40 am
Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Glassman94 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:..........
On the other side of this though, my approach allows me to enjoy myself during the process.
Good matches are the reward I am seeking, and I find a lot of them, regardless of the level at which they are played.
.........


Agree 100%

True Story:
Years ago I owned a hobby shop and promoted R/C races in our parking lot.
Imagine my surprise when Billy Vukovich (Indy 500 competitor) showed up to race R/C cars.

So I asked Billy, "You've raced at Indy, and you still race R/C cars?"
His response, "Racing is racing, it doesn't matter if it's Indy cars, R/C cars or barstools. Racing is racing". He raced for the fun as much as he raced for the win.

I've won many trophies over the years but my most cherished race was actually a loss. I raced in the A-main with Billy on an oval. We made multiple moves on each other, swapping the lead many times. In the end, he won by inches. I was disappointed until he approached me, shook my hand and said, "You're a great driver". That moment means more to me than all the hardware collecting dust in the garage.

Too many of us are focused on our MMR instead of how much fun we have.
Nasty chat messages are proof the sender has lost touch with why he plays this game. Sad.
Last edited by Glassman94 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am
PSN ID: Glassman94

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Glassman94 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:13 am

ooooooops
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am
PSN ID: Glassman94

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Scyonite on Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:24 am

Glassman94 wrote:ooooooops


Gotta psyonix that one :yaypsyonix:
Image

made by AlexCuse44

made by zGreenMachine-
Scyonite
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Glassman94 on Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:48 am

Scyonite wrote:
Glassman94 wrote:ooooooops


Gotta psyonix that one :yaypsyonix:


Livin' inside people's heads rent free. Love it.
Glassman94
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:45 am
PSN ID: Glassman94

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Midremit on Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:31 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:
Midremit wrote:And I'd argue even that is because of your age (you are a bit older than most of us, right?

I think age and dedication are two of the major players, when it comes to rank in this game.
I'm "only" 53, but can definitely see where I am slower than I was 20 years ago, when I was playing arena shooters.

FlashPower is correct about there being minimum levels of mental acuity, manual dexterity, and reaction time necessary to reach high-Diamond.
The threshold for all of those are considerably lower than he believes them to be, however.
I have seen a lot of "high-Diamond" players who lack technical skill, compared to him.
The day he finally rounds out his game, with true teamwork, he'll be rocketing for the top.

While Age puts me behind the curve to start with, Dedication is the area where I really fall short, and I'm OK with that.
Where FlashPower has devoted his life to improving his technical skills, and grinds to learn each and every advanced technique, I refuse to do anything that isn't fun.
That approach leaves me having to learn everything on the fly, in actual matches, rather than benefiting from the muscle memory developed by repetition.

On the other side of this though, my approach allows me to enjoy myself during the process.
Good matches are the reward I am seeking, and I find a lot of them, regardless of the level at which they are played.
By contrast, FlashPower will be forever surrounded by frustration because his reward is higher rank, which has moving goalposts built into it, battling against any sense of contentment.
Where I am able to see the good games I am getting, and appreciate them in their own right, he can only see the "work" he still needs to put in, to reach his latest goal.


I'm pretty certain about the influence of those factors. They're also intertwined. Getting older means getting more responsabilities so less time for gaming or dedication as you call it. The learning curve is always going to be slower/harder or whatever you want to call it.
When I look at my old style and compare it to the current one, I'm also far less creative. But using the experience to make up for the lack of crazy shots. I also think muscle memory decreases as you get older (perhaps like your father), just like other physical abilities in life. You can however go a long way compensating this by applying your (life) experience, which is what you seem to do.
Coupled with that great mentality of just having fun, probably by having competitive games or seeing your friends/dad screw up, I think you'd be a joy to play with.

I personally enjoy the matches with my gold friends the most, it's just laughter all along and I couldn't care less about my rank decreasing during the process of having teary eyes induced by constant fuckups. Obviously when I screw up once (which happens every time), I'm hearing it for months, and rightly so.
Ball curve lobbyist!

NoOne-NBA wrote:Quite the opposite, there's usually somebody who steps up to the plate, and does something more stupid than anything I was able to imagine, even though I have always had a very active imagination.


I'm a gold stuck in C2d4
Midremit
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:36 pm
Steam ID: midremit
Region: Europe

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby FlashPower on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:28 pm

You can call it ignorant. But why do I think what I say about "quality wins" is still right? You can read it like a book. And you can play it like this. Here is my kinda way I see of developing.

I always watch top players on Twitch playing it. But I even watch average Grand Champ Player playing this.

Platin 1:
Here for sure, you have the most less problems to get through this elo. Because the smurfs or premate smurfs are just to good that they stuck long around there. You have way more people who have actually platin 1 style. Platin 1 is easier to make.

Platin 2:
Here I can feel already a big different. Some people are already smurfs you have on opponent side. But on me it feels more like these people dont really put the effort in this elo because they take it not too serious. Your own mate has a bit more less quality. With some effort you can still come through the Plat 2. In 3s and 2s plays. But at Div III you already have a chance you get hardcore premate smurf opponents.

Platin 3:

AND HERE its already extremely hardcore. The most opponents are premate smurfs now almost everytime. You are directly in the middle of action. And to be honest, they play ALMOST the same speed roation and individual style like you see in every Diamond 3 or Champ 1 match. And this is not lied. This probably goes through the entire Plat 3 till Dia3/Champ 1 on one same kind of level. First Champ 2 it goes another dimension again where you see way more sick shit. But for fact when you go through Plat 3 you really really should be challenge tested on way way higher ranks.

For what reason yes, you kinda have average players now all the time on your side while dealing with there hardcore premates. What makes it way more important to have kind Dia 3 quality. To say, its an obligation. And you can trust your mate. Give him trust, but it is very "limited" because of their limited quality(cant get easy balls in the defense, easy levered out with dribblings/flicks, barely can play any aerials it is just aerial tries and errors with less earnings, cant hit balls from the wall to avoid the ball bouncing against the wall - too much basics are missing. Even if you rotate, you kind end more focused on yourself and your quality to make it through and carry. You have to fix more the missing things your mate cant play. This makes it hard. It is an obligation to have the basic standards and the speed you have on Dias 2 or 3. It is a pure fight and sweating and this on Plat 3.
What probably even has to do with stuff like when you dont have these brainabilities to play the high standards that easy like other player do who are already long-term Champ 1 2 or Grand Champs.
FlashPower
Rocket-Powered
User avatar
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 am
Steam ID: gtaflash
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Scyonite on Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:57 pm

All they're doing is fooling you. And you believe it and fool yourself. A platinum three player can't do mechanics and quality as well as a Champ 1 player. This player is platinum three for a reason. Once more, and the last time; you are only looking at the presentation of the game. You don't look at the game in a deeper understanding. You don't try to understand why players do what they do. And this is what you lack.

This is also why looking at pros actually is bad for you. They possess very high mechanical skill and, furthermore, overall game pace is very high. When they make plays with their team they make sure they match the pace of the team. You don't see that they do that. You only see how fast and consistently they play. And therein lies your mistake. You can't try to "rush" the game with a random platinum three teammate. You have to slow your expectations down to the rank you're at. And start working upwards from there. Stop rushing, taking over and/or overpacing your teammate. Give them space, match their pace and cover when you need to. Make your teammate comfortable and your teammate will be able to make your comfortable.

From this angle we can also define your current problem; you don't know or understand how to make your teammate comfortable. As a result, your teammate is unable to make you comfortable. You do realize they can't and further escalate the problem. The root cause is you don't realize you actually created your own uncomfortable team environment. Your need to "carry" effectively creates your ENTIRE issue. A disbalanced team will never beat a balanced team unless the disbalanced team has an overly proportional strong player. You're not that player. No one solo-queueing should be. The matchmaking system makes that almost a certainty. Stop thinking the odds aren't in your favour regarding teammates; a solo-queueing opponent team would run exactly the same chances of consisting of teammates that "don't know any basic".

Again, I'm trying to directly counter your claims. I asked you to try and counter mine, instead of run the same explanation again. Wishful thinking.. I'll probably never get a response from you that at least tries to combat what I am saying. Stop sticking to your comfortable and flawed defense. We've already heard it 20 times. (probably literally).
Image

made by AlexCuse44

made by zGreenMachine-
Scyonite
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby FlashPower on Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:55 pm

Scyonite wrote:All they're doing is fooling you. And you believe it and fool yourself. A platinum three player can't do mechanics and quality as well as a Champ 1 player. This player is platinum three for a reason.


This is just right in limited ways. You are not wrong saying in Plat 3 or Plat 2 players dont have exactly same mechanical skills. you still sometime get matched wit hsuch hardcore brutal player same time having a just very bad mate. But it is not THAT exactly. Yeah mechanicals skills not everytime. BUT what you absolutley have is the same rotation speed and getting balls from the wall before touching it in the same high leve rate and speed like on Dia 3. There is almost no different anymore. The plat 3s do the same stuff in this with the same speed I notice this everytime. And it mostly only your opponents. The own mates are just stuck and dont know how to play basics. So you must see that you rotate on the same extremely high level like the enemies and same time cover your mate.

When you are an average player onyl you just cant do that. In this case it is what it is. Arent you highly challenge tested on the best ranks nowadays, then you have to stay out of rankeds its defnitly the wrong place. For me this is probably the case. My brain is too slow for so many fast stuff and key combos in same time.
FlashPower
Rocket-Powered
User avatar
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 am
Steam ID: gtaflash
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby steblood on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:03 pm

Still believe there should be a rank between diamond and champion, like Ruby, or something.
Motherboard: X299-A | CPU: i9-7900X | RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz | GPU: 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti | SSD: 500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD | HDD: 2TB SATA-III | PSU: 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
steblood
Battle-Car
User avatar
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
PSN ID: steblood
Steam ID: steblood
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 am

steblood wrote:Still believe there should be a rank between diamond and champion, like Ruby, or something.

That won't help anything, except soothing a few people's fragile egos.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what picture, or name, you attach to the players holding various ranking numbers.
To make any substantive change to the system, you have to CHANGE the numbers themselves, or change how players holding those numbers are allowed to interact.
That's the part of this system where Psyonix keeps falling on their face.

Psyonix SAYS they are doing a soft reset each season, but doesn't actually RESET anybody.
They just reset the uncertainty in the system, which causes people to get thrown around even farther than they should, at a much faster rate than they should.
This creates even more chaos within the system, rather than calming it.

If they'd dump all the Champions down to the bottom of Champion at the start of a season, dump all the Diamonds to the bottom of Diamond, etc... it would create hard separations between those players that are non-existent under the currently used system.
Those separations would force Diamond players to play only other Diamond players, at the start of the season.
Some of those would drift upward, due to lack of facing Champion players repeatedly, while others would drift down.
When the upward trending Diamond players begin mixing with Champion players, the initial matches will only be "rising-Diamond/falling-Champion" matches.
If the upward moving Diamond players deserve Champion, this will make it easier for them to cross the threshold.
NoOne-NBA
Moderator
User avatar
Moderator
 
Posts: 3256
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:40 am
Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby steblood on Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:
steblood wrote:Still believe there should be a rank between diamond and champion, like Ruby, or something.

That won't help anything, except soothing a few people's fragile egos.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what picture, or name, you attach to the players holding various ranking numbers.
To make any substantive change to the system, you have to CHANGE the numbers themselves, or change how players holding those numbers are allowed to interact.
That's the part of this system where Psyonix keeps falling on their face.

Psyonix SAYS they are doing a soft reset each season, but doesn't actually RESET anybody.
They just reset the uncertainty in the system, which causes people to get thrown around even farther than they should, at a much faster rate than they should.
This creates even more chaos within the system, rather than calming it.

If they'd dump all the Champions down to the bottom of Champion at the start of a season, dump all the Diamonds to the bottom of Diamond, etc... it would create hard separations between those players that are non-existent under the currently used system.
Those separations would force Diamond players to play only other Diamond players, at the start of the season.
Some of those would drift upward, due to lack of facing Champion players repeatedly, while others would drift down.
When the upward trending Diamond players begin mixing with Champion players, the initial matches will only be "rising-Diamond/falling-Champion" matches.
If the upward moving Diamond players deserve Champion, this will make it easier for them to cross the threshold.


That is a great suggestion. I have nothing else to say on the matter.
Motherboard: X299-A | CPU: i9-7900X | RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz | GPU: 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti | SSD: 500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD | HDD: 2TB SATA-III | PSU: 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
steblood
Battle-Car
User avatar
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
PSN ID: steblood
Steam ID: steblood
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby E_M_E_T on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:31 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
steblood wrote:Still believe there should be a rank between diamond and champion, like Ruby, or something.

That won't help anything, except soothing a few people's fragile egos.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what picture, or name, you attach to the players holding various ranking numbers.
To make any substantive change to the system, you have to CHANGE the numbers themselves, or change how players holding those numbers are allowed to interact.
That's the part of this system where Psyonix keeps falling on their face.

Psyonix SAYS they are doing a soft reset each season, but doesn't actually RESET anybody.
They just reset the uncertainty in the system, which causes people to get thrown around even farther than they should, at a much faster rate than they should.
This creates even more chaos within the system, rather than calming it.

If they'd dump all the Champions down to the bottom of Champion at the start of a season, dump all the Diamonds to the bottom of Diamond, etc... it would create hard separations between those players that are non-existent under the currently used system.
Those separations would force Diamond players to play only other Diamond players, at the start of the season.
Some of those would drift upward, due to lack of facing Champion players repeatedly, while others would drift down.
When the upward trending Diamond players begin mixing with Champion players, the initial matches will only be "rising-Diamond/falling-Champion" matches.
If the upward moving Diamond players deserve Champion, this will make it easier for them to cross the threshold.


that's such a simple suggestion yet somehow I've never heard it before. I like it.
Image
E_M_E_T
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:33 pm
PSN ID: merc-835
Steam ID: E_M_E_T
Region: California

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby FlashPower on Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:38 am

It doesn't care anymore.

I played some matches, close plat 3 back plat 1. It doesnt change I got more and more confirmed. It is so simple and nobody must say anything else. In all elos you dont find ppl anymore who play this game for first time. 90% of the ppl are long time player have been champ or grand champ on xbox/ps4 or simply use just another accounts where they smurf. The endresult of this it whatever which rank you are all matches from the speed to the aerials and the rotation are on the same high average level of Diamond 3 matches. Ball barely touches the ground anymore they kick diagonal kick back balls into opponents goals direction.

You can only smash the enemies in plat when your mate is good and when you have individual abilities on Scrubkillas or Yukeos level. Everything is hard brutal and extremely difficult.
FlashPower
Rocket-Powered
User avatar
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 am
Steam ID: gtaflash
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby littlebigleg on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:35 pm

I know you are very close to this thread flashpower, And love it dearly .But its a bit cruel to keep poking it with a stick just to get your last drops of attention from it.The kind way to go about it would be to let it drift away peacefully in its sleep, And let it die with some dignity R.I.P.
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 749
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:54 am
Location: Scotland
GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Scyonite on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:45 am

It's just him misrecognizing his own tilt with flawed self-confirmation. It's a pity at this point.
Image

made by AlexCuse44

made by zGreenMachine-
Scyonite
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Scyonite on Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:07 am

Allow me my take on your own diagnosis of the problem.

You start losing in a rank you think you should be winning no matter what. So you start to mentally unravel (tilt), as a result you become a teammate that overplays and rushes everything. You ruin your team dynamic and leave no room for your teammate to make mistakes. The opponent team realizes your team dynamic is out of whack and start forcing challenges wherever and whenever they can. You perceive their team presence as them being smurfs. But in reality all they're doing is punishing your team for your team dynamic, which you messed up in the first place. You then come to the forums to waste everyone's time once more defending your belief everyone ranging from plat 1 to diamond 3 is in the same rank and how all that matters is quality play, because teammates can't be trusted as Rocket League is not a team game. Jesus dude, do you realize how delirious this sounds?

P.S. I like how you use Yukeo as an example of someone with great "quality play" when in fact he's even stronger in team-play. Something you don't perceive.
Image

made by AlexCuse44

made by zGreenMachine-
Scyonite
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby FlashPower on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:49 am

Scyonite wrote:Allow me my take on your own diagnosis of the problem.

You start losing in a rank you think you should be winning no matter what. So you start to mentally unravel (tilt), as a result you become a teammate that overplays and rushes everything. You ruin your team dynamic and leave no room for your teammate to make mistakes. The opponent team realizes your team dynamic is out of whack and start forcing challenges wherever and whenever they can. You perceive their team presence as them being smurfs. But in reality all they're doing is punishing your team for your team dynamic, which you messed up in the first place. You then come to the forums to waste everyone's time once more defending your belief everyone ranging from plat 1 to diamond 3 is in the same rank and how all that matters is quality play, because teammates can't be trusted as Rocket League is not a team game. Jesus dude, do you realize how delirious this sounds?

P.S. I like how you use Yukeo as an example of someone with great "quality play" when in fact he's even stronger in team-play. Something you don't perceive.


Teammates mistakes? In last 3 weeks it got WORSE. The teammates I have now and im NOT JOKING its almost in every game. They are just on the ground and explore how to turn left and righ the car. So This means absolute beginner or carried bananaheads everytime. Where do you want to team up with someone whos still exploring out how to move the car ????? Of course you play more or less for two in this moment. Rotation yes or no whatever, you have to play for two and anyway come through. 80% of the opponents are premades I get now. And yes its always any console champ players who jumped on the PC or have created antother accounts.

I dont know when was the last time i did not get opponents who have already high elo experience.

You champplayers make it really easy for yourself you think everything you do in your big elos works in the low elos. And no it doesn't work. You are on champ for years probably and you dont know anymore what it means to play in the low ranks against console movers who were champ already or ppl using several alternative accounts just to fuck up people in the low ranks.

To win a game in Plat 1 nowadays is as difficult as in dia 2 or Dia 3. It is not funny anymore when you know you are in Plat 1 or 2 but in at least every second match you still need the abilities and speed you normally use on Diamond 3 or Champion 1. Yep, this is not funny and you get tilted of course.

And how I said it is even more difficult when you are with a random teammate, who hasnt any real experience on the game and you have to catch up all the mistakes amd misses he does and same time you have to keep up a really high quality in speed and ball control.
FlashPower
Rocket-Powered
User avatar
Rocket-Powered
 
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 am
Steam ID: gtaflash
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby steblood on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:53 am

It's the never ending cycle.

It's always the same at the end of a season, people get boosted for those rewards.

I've come across soo many really bad players in Champ 2 these last few days.
Motherboard: X299-A | CPU: i9-7900X | RAM: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2666MHz | GPU: 11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti | SSD: 500GB WD Blue™ 3D NAND 2.5" SSD | HDD: 2TB SATA-III | PSU: 650W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
steblood
Battle-Car
User avatar
Battle-Car
 
Posts: 607
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:07 pm
Location: Manchester, UK
PSN ID: steblood
Steam ID: steblood
Region: EU

Re: Ranked is full of absolute garbage players

Postby Scyonite on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:22 am

Brilliant, at last a comment that tries to address the points I raise. Thank you.

Let me do you a favour now and return it. I'll take your consensus that my "champ" advice cannot be applied by you as a platinum/diamond player. I admit in the sense that I probably don't have the knowledge of the skills displayed in each rank. However, I have not been a champ over my entire Rocket League timespan. When I first started playing ranked I was stuck in Challenger Elite for a while. I think this would translate somewhere into gold/platinum. Keep in mind I bought the game after like a month and only started playing ranked in Season 3. I ended up in Season 3 in Shooting Star/Superstar. I remember feeling like the comments you've made; "why do my teammates underperform?", "why did player x not go?", "how could he miss?". I have been in the same ballpark. The difference was that I quickly realized that, if only my teammates were the issue, statistically, I'd still have to rise in rank. If this were not the case I'd be in my calibrated rank however shitty it might feel. I started watching my own and their replays and quickly determined my positioning in contrast to them was way off even though in my perception I perceived it to be correct. I found new ways of learning and realizations that got me to Champ 3 as I am now. Those realizations are the epitome of the advice I have given in this thread. It doesn't matter what rank you are, the consensus of my advice, I feel, applies to everyone because it addresses the nature of Rocket League, not anyone (or you) as an individual.

You keep raising individual match performances as a confirmation of your belief. Note that the keyword here is individual. I agree that on some occasions teammates can definitely be underdogs or the combinations of you and teammates just doesn't work out. That's the nature of the game and a ranked system in general. What I do not believe is that you, statiscally, overperform your teammates. We've watched your replay and we've come to the consensus the nature of your play was on par with the rank you were playing in. Remember how you even whiffed some shots (specific dodges) and messed up some kickoffs. I believe you unjustly get frustrated with the quality of play of your teammates.

I'll now get more specific towards some of the arguments you raised.

FlashPower wrote:80% of the opponents are premades I get now.


Running solo-queue inherently puts you at a disadvantage with regard to own team dynamics, yes. An opponent team might vocally communicate and doesn't run the chances of a random players dynamics. Matchmakings compensates for this, however. Furthermore, it is you that is choosing to play solo-queue. You know that's the status of the game.

The lower rank we'd look at I'm sure you'll find more smurfs. One key realization, however, is that with every match a smurf meets their correct result, the closer they get to matches that are on par with their skill. Therefore, statiscally, you cannot be downed by smurfs in rank with regard to the inherent smurf population in each rank. If you do lower in rank because of people you perceive to be smurfs I'm raising the argument that you have played either an anomaly of matches and you will be able to get back that rank, OR you simply were not worthy of that rank either because some smurfs were not smurfs at all (they were just able to counter you effectively) or you battled against the inherent smurf population of that rank and the rank you lost was a reach.

FlashPower wrote:To win a game in Plat 1 nowadays is as difficult as in dia 2 or Dia 3. It is not funny anymore when you know you are in Plat 1 or 2 but in at least every second match you still need the abilities and speed you normally use on Diamond 3 or Champion 1. Yep, this is not funny and you get tilted of course.

And how I said it is even more difficult when you are with a random teammate, who hasnt any real experience on the game and you have to catch up all the mistakes amd misses he does and same time you have to keep up a really high quality in speed and ball control.


I'm seeing two things here.

Firstly, you can't apply your Diamond 3 speed in a game with a Plat 1 teammate. This is were you go wrong. The team dynamic is heavily ruined by you trying that you effectively exacerbate the shortcomings of your teammate. There's two ways of gaining rank. A) You overshadow the opponent team in its entirety with sheer general skill. B) You find out a way to work and win as a team. A works when you're in a rank that's heavily below your calibrated (real, correct) rank and stops working way before you find that rank. B will always work, given you have the skill to justly adapt to your teammate. You're not doing either. This is what gets you stuck. Note how I'm not deducing my reasoning, I'm inducing my reasoning. I speak in a general sense. I don't try to find advice for you to gain rank specifically, I'd have to watch multiple replays for that. Rather, I'm reasoning my way to advice that would apply to anyone. This and the fact that I've had the same problems, I believe, give me more than the right to keep raising this defense, which also has been corroborated with my peers (including those not in champ). It's up to you to find out how you can apply this advice. I believe this advice is analogous to what many professional coaches would provide if they were asked for general game advice. You have to get comfortable with working and performing as a team, even when it feels you sacrifice individual performance. It's a team game after all.

Secondly, I believe you don't have an idea of the notion of statistics. Any Plat 2 game will, in general, consist of an opponent team that matches that rank on average. Any Diamond 3 game will, in general, consist of an opponent that matches diamond 3 on average. If you lose or win against an opponent team, matchmaking gains information on whether or not you either overperformed on underperformed with regard to the opponent team's standard. There are 19 ranks. Plat 1 and Diamond 3 are five ranks apart. It cannot be, statistically, that over the course of working through either rank, your general consensus is that the opponent team in a Plat 1 game is as difficult to win from as is a Diamond 3 game. Looking back at what I've said previously, we can identify why it might feel this way. You are not adapting to your teammate. You are not adapting to the rank you're playing in. You're playing as FlashPower and don't budge, expecting that the game will figure out what rank you're at. But the game can't decide what rank you're at as your performance, you being FlashPower. It can only decide what rank you're at as FlashPower in a team. In any teamplay playlist the game cannot rank your individual performance. Any system inherently can't. Any system that tries to is subject to subjectivity. Hence, any matchmaking system for a team playlist provides you with a rank that is correspondent to how you play in a team. And apparently, for you, that seems to be somewhere between Plat 1 and Diamond 3, depending how you feel about your teammates on any given day. The general consensus of this paragraph would seem to be: stop expecting the game to determine your individual performance because it can't. It will only and ever be able to provide you with a rank that displays how you play as a teammate.

You have to let go of the notion of expecting outside forces to cater to you and how help you out. You have to let go of blaming exterior factors for your shortcomings. Only when you start looking inwards and work towards improving yourself as a fucking teammate will you see yourself and your experience improve. And this is not just Rocket League advice. This is life advice, mate. It just seems to be that some, a mentally less fortunate part of the population, is inherently unable to realize this. I advice you so much to read up on Dunning-Kruger, and remove the notion of self-over appraisal from your life.
Last edited by Scyonite on Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

made by AlexCuse44

made by zGreenMachine-
Scyonite
Aerialistic
User avatar
Aerialistic
 
Posts: 1302
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:02 am
Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests