Demos: What exactly constitutes 'unsportsman like" conduct?

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Demos: What exactly constitutes 'unsportsman like" conduct?

Postby spaceboy on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:15 pm

I've always enjoyed the demo aspect of the game, however, there are two types that feel unsportsman like to me, but I really have no idea where the community, the company, and also the pros draw the line.

1) On rare occasions, someone will dedicate themselves to hunting me all over the map, zig zagging all over trying to nail me, completely ignoring the ball and the actual game. That one seems pretty obvious. Does anyone report those people, or do you just roll with it?

2) Lately, I've been targeted a lot while playing goalie. I don't normally play goalie a lot so this may be the normal 'rate', but nonetheless, it seems a bit cheap to drive straight in and take out the goalie, but maybe that's perfectly legitimate.

I can certainly live with it if it's not against the rules. I just need to know where the line is.

3) Is the line drawn in a different spot by the pros at high level play? Having watched a fair amount of pro play, my guess would be that there's simply no time to spare for demo hunting, and it might actually cost you the game.
spaceboy
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Re: Demos: What exactly constitutes 'unsportsman like" cond

Postby Scyonite on Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:58 pm

1) That's just trolling, but you can use him being out of position as an advantage. Just fly away and he probably won't reach you.

2) A dedicated goalie is not really a thing in Rocket League. Maybe in low bronze it is, but pretty soon people already begin to see everyone should be all over the map. People identify that you being a goalie is a weakness of your team and they might try to exploit that. In very high level rocket league going for the demo in the goal can sometimes be the tactical play that results in a goal. So it is a legitimate strategy yeah.

3) Highly situational, it can be advantageous. But the opportunity should find you more than you should try to find it, imo.

I do not report for demoing. It's part of the game and can be tactical. I can't say I play against players that abuse demo'ing though.
Rip Gecko #May2018
Scyonite
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:56 pm

Demos are a game mechanic.
You can't really do anything "unsportsmanlike" with regard to them.
The game is played in Battle-Cars after all, so "battling" in them is a legitimate part of the game, should a person choose to do so.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Hydroxyde on Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:38 pm

Yeah, i agree.
I for one like to boost starve and while returning to pos, i always scout the field for a bump a demo or even a scare. Sometimes i even goombastomp someone just to mess with his timing, even if he is nowhere near the ball.

Mess with people expectations a few times, and the next time they won't be able to fully focus on defense
I don't see this as unsportsmanlike conduct, but rather as by product and a natural evolution of mindgames.

And yes... I've played with people that also consider fakes to be disrespectful and are willing to throw the match instead of trying to be critical about the way they approach the play and the game as a whole
Hydroxyde
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hdxyde
Region: Chile

Postby spaceboy on Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 am

Ok, cool, thanks for the info guys.
spaceboy
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Tentacles on Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 pm

People who spam quick chats nonstop can actually get banned for unsportsman.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Ghostbusterboy on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:35 am

Unsportsmanlike like conduct to me is the people who blame you for losing when they are one playing like a bag of shite also another 1 is them retards aka whenever you get a sore loser tm8 who help the other team win really like grow the fuck up and quitting like a 5yr old child im absolute terrible at rocket league not all the time just hate u people who blame others for losing yet your the one whos playing bad just making u look like a idiot
Ghostbusterboy
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Ghostbusterboy19

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:52 am

I don't report players who demo excessively...

...I laugh at them.
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby Skaldy on Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:50 am

In my (average) experience, when any player focusses more on demos than normal gameplay that team quickly concedes a goal, because the demolisher has given up on positioning as a priority.
Skaldy
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby DatPiffery27 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:14 am

I totally accept and embrace demos. It def feels bad when you got your shot lined up for the save and you just get murked, having to helplessly watch the ball go into your goal. However, it's okay because I smash goalies too, it's part of the game. It's really badass when you dodge the demo and still make the save!

I do believe its cheap in a 1v3 or 1v2. Ranked or unranked, doesn't matter. I never quit games so when my teammates wuss out, I just stay and say bring it on. Then the other team will designate some one to hunt you down and just troll the whole match. It's like really?? Have some damn honor and integrity, give em a chance. I guess that's what you can expect when you interact with 12 year olds on the internet. I wouldn't call it "unsportsmanlike conduct," but it's definitely cheap and dirty.
DatPiffery27
Acrobatic

PSN ID: DatPiffery11009
Region: US East

Postby Scyonite on Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am

Okay back to constructive posts now; have you considered watching replays at any point? Replays help a lot if you view them from your teammate's perspective. Surely some of your critique probably is correct, and surely some of his is too. Pointing a finger at someone and think that's all needed to make the world a better place is a viewpoint I can't even begin to comprehend.
Rip Gecko #May2018
Scyonite
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Voqar on Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:43 am

I think the demo mechanic is stupid, often random, and takes away from real tactics, but it's there.

1. IMO, if someone is racing around trying to demo and ignoring the game you're mostly playing 3 v 2 and they're a detriment to their team. I do sometimes see other players oblivious about there being a useless twit in the game and they'll get hit a few times. But it's not that hard to avoid a fool once you know there is a fool, and either way - while you go after game objectives fool is speeding around contributing nothing. Worst case you get demoed and end up in a defensive position near boost - while fool is still doing nothing.

2. I get hit as goalie sometimes, but I'm getting better at flipping near contact then they just drive by, whiff, and waste time.

Overall, it's part of the game, and it's there for both teams to use or not. I'll plow someone if it's convenient and the same happens to me. More often I accidentally vaporize someone going for a block or something.

The only part of it that truly bothers me is the inconsistency in the behavior. Sometimes it seems like someone not moving full speed will barely touch you and boom.
Voqar
Acrobatic

Postby Scyonite on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 am

Voqar wrote:I think the demo mechanic is stupid, often random, and takes away from real tactics, but it's there.

1. IMO, if someone is racing around trying to demo and ignoring the game you're mostly playing 3 v 2 and they're a detriment to their team. I do sometimes see other players oblivious about there being a useless twit in the game and they'll get hit a few times. But it's not that hard to avoid a fool once you know there is a fool, and either way - while you go after game objectives fool is speeding around contributing nothing. Worst case you get demoed and end up in a defensive position near boost - while fool is still doing nothing.

2. I get hit as goalie sometimes, but I'm getting better at flipping near contact then they just drive by, whiff, and waste time.

Overall, it's part of the game, and it's there for both teams to use or not. I'll plow someone if it's convenient and the same happens to me. More often I accidentally vaporize someone going for a block or something.

Demos can be a very useful and smart tactic given the right situation. Sure, 90% of demos probably were a stupid choice and are plainly annoying, but it's a tactic nonetheless. If not for gaining a rotational or pressure-advantage, then just for the tilt it might cause. What would you want? That when someone hits someone else while he's supersonic he flies away through half the map? That's arguably worse than a demo. A demo simply resets you to a defensive position. Hitting someone halfway through the map upfield while they need to defend would be even worse. There's another alternative of ghosting players, but that's just plain silly for a game like this.

Voqar wrote:The only part of it that truly bothers me is the inconsistency in the behavior. Sometimes it seems like someone not moving full speed will barely touch you and boom.

That might be packet loss, high latency or high variance latency. On the other's end positions were different and the server has to make a compromise.
Rip Gecko #May2018
Scyonite
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:10 am

Scyonite wrote:That might be packet loss, high latency or high variance latency. On the other's end positions were different and the server has to make a compromise.

At least part of that is how Psyonix chose to implement the demo physics.
They went the easy route, and used a simple IF/AND/THEN condition, rather than calculating transferred energy.

The current system only looks to see IF Car A is supersonic -- AND Car A touches Car B.
If those conditions are both TRUE, THEN Car B explodes.
Where this really irritates me is when two cars are traveling side-by-side, and one of them goes supersonic a fraction of a second before the other, any contact will cause the second car to explode, even if the contact is nothing more than a slight wheel rub.

What I think should be required is that Car A impact Car B in such a manner that there is a significant transfer of energy from Car A to Car B.
Side rubs should never trigger a demo.
Slight impacts, as calculated by the relative velocities/trajectories of both cars, shouldn't do it either, even if the contact is front to rear.
It should take either a head-on collision (in which case both cars should be demoed), or a fast moving car hitting a slow car from any direction.
Anything else should result in a bump, the intensity of which should also be calculated by relative velocities/trajectories.

In Psyonix' defense, the physics for that would require much more intensive calculations than the current system, and would likely result in even more unpredictability than what we have now.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Scyonite on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:22 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:At least part of that is how Psyonix chose to implement the demo physics.
They went the easy route, and used a simple IF/AND/THEN condition, rather than calculating transferred energy.

The current system only looks to see IF Car A is supersonic -- AND Car A touches Car B.
If those conditions are both TRUE, THEN Car B explodes.
Where this really irritates me is when two cars are traveling side-by-side, and one of them goes supersonic a fraction of a second before the other, any contact will cause the second car to explode, even if the contact is nothing more than a slight wheel rub.

What I think should be required is that Car A impact Car B in such a manner that there is a significant transfer of energy from Car A to Car B.
Side rubs should never trigger a demo.
Slight impacts, as calculated by the relative velocities/trajectories of both cars, shouldn't do it either, even if the contact is front to rear.
It should take either a head-on collision (in which case both cars should be demoed), or a fast moving car hitting a slow car from any direction.
Anything else should result in a bump, the intensity of which should also be calculated by relative velocities/trajectories.

In Psyonix' defense, the physics for that would require much more intensive calculations than the current system, and would likely result in even more unpredictability than what we have now.

Interesting, I agree. That stuff is really easily implemented. (Just takes some dot products and cosines probably). It's not really that much more extensive, at least not for what systems should be able to handle.
Rip Gecko #May2018
Scyonite
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Postby Desirsar on Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:34 am

I'll make this easy for you - "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" is "playing against your own team." It's easier to reach on the menu, so I'll sometimes end up reporting someone who went AFK after their forfeit vote failed rather than the actual AFK report option, but it has pretty much the same effect. Anything else a player could do likely fall under one of the other report options.
Desirsar
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Steam ID: Desirsar
GamerTag: Desirsar
Region: US

Postby Midremit on Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:43 am

spaceboy wrote:I've always enjoyed the demo aspect of the game, however, there are two types that feel unsportsman like to me, but I really have no idea where the community, the company, and also the pros draw the line.

1) On rare occasions, someone will dedicate themselves to hunting me all over the map, zig zagging all over trying to nail me, completely ignoring the ball and the actual game. That one seems pretty obvious. Does anyone report those people, or do you just roll with it?

2) Lately, I've been targeted a lot while playing goalie. I don't normally play goalie a lot so this may be the normal 'rate', but nonetheless, it seems a bit cheap to drive straight in and take out the goalie, but maybe that's perfectly legitimate.

I can certainly live with it if it's not against the rules. I just need to know where the line is.

3) Is the line drawn in a different spot by the pros at high level play? Having watched a fair amount of pro play, my guess would be that there's simply no time to spare for demo hunting, and it might actually cost you the game.

Demos aren't something to report someone at all. Why else would it be a game mechanic?

Only reasons that come to mind to report players for unsportsmanlike conduct is abandoning games, spamming (abuse), stop playing/playing against your own team and, this is the worst, not saying 'gg' after a game, especially in 1s. :yaypsyonix:
Midremit
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midremit
Region: Europe

Postby Hydroxyde on Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:30 pm

What if Im the one that lost and consider a gg worthy game of 1s. Is still frowned upon???
Hydroxyde
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hdxyde
Region: Chile

Return to General Discussion