A controller made specifically for Rocket League

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

A controller made specifically for Rocket League

Postby ChristianoRivaldo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:07 pm

I have a suggestion for Psyonix: Collaborate with a third party hardware company and make a controller specifically for Rocket League.

RL is unique and challenging as far as player input goes. No matter how I try to bind the buttons, I always feel like it's not ideal. I think playing claw is the most efficient way but I have never gotten used to that and I don't think I will.

Why not make a controller that is designed around Rocket League? Something that would make pressing many buttons simultaneously easier and more natural. It would improve the game experience and make players better. Kind of like how RC cars have their own type of controllers.

I don't know if business wise it's feasible, but I guess that for a game as popular as RL it's not completely out of the question. I know I would buy one.
ChristianoRivaldo
Acrobatic

Re: A controller made specifically for Rocket League

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:46 pm

There's no reason for them to do this.
There are better controllers than the stock ones already available, and I don't see anywhere they'd actually be able to improve on that.
If you want a controller that makes pressing buttons easier, get one with under triggers, preferably one which allows the controller itself to be remapped.

I've even gone a step farther than that, personally.
I use a modified set of racing pedals for FWD/REV, which frees up the triggers on my controller for other functions.
Used alongside my Microsoft Elite controller, I have more than enough buttons for everything, including Air Roll Left/Right on my under triggers.
With that setup, my right thumb is only doing jump and operating the camera controls, instead of tap dancing all over the place, trying to do everything by itself.

I don't know if my setup is tournament-legal, but I don't really care.
I'd much rather have proper controls than tournament-legal ones, if it's an either/or choice.

I don't know what platform you're on, but the Steam Controller offers a really wide array of control options for this game as well.
You can map the left analog pad to do directional control (using the touch-only settings), AND directional dodges (when you click the pad in a particular direction), AND D-pad inputs (when you hit a Shift button).
The triggers will do FWD/REV on a soft pull, and can be set to ALSO do "Powerslide/Air Roll" and "Boost", using the full-pull portion of the two-stage.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Postby ChristianoRivaldo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:10 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
I've even gone a step farther than that, personally.
I use a modified set of racing pedals for FWD/REV, which frees up the triggers on my controller for other functions.
Used alongside my Microsoft Elite controller, I have more than enough buttons for everything, including Air Roll Left/Right on my under triggers.
With that setup, my right thumb is only doing jump and operating the camera controls, instead of tap dancing all over the place, trying to do everything by itself.

I don't know if my setup is tournament-legal, but I don't really care.
I'd much rather have proper controls than tournament-legal ones, if it's an either/or choice.

So first you tell me that there is no need for a new controller and then you proceed to tell me about your own custom made controller with modified racing pedals (which sounds quite interesting btw). This is why I can't take you seriously Noone-NBA.
ChristianoRivaldo
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm

ChristianoRivaldo wrote:So first you tell me that there is no need for a new controller and then you procced to tell me about your own custom made controller with modified racing pedals (which sounds quite interesting btw). This is why I can't take you seriously Noone-NBA.

If there's ONE thing you should take me seriously on, it's controls.

I've been building/modding my own controls for games for about 40 years now, so I've picked up a thing or two over the years.
I've even got a scratch-built arcade cabinet in my house with modular, arcade correct controls, where I can swap in the real controls for every game I play.
That system also allows me to swap in the controls a game SHOULD HAVE HAD, if the actual controls used, on the real arcade cabinet, weren't up to MY standards.

There's no need for Psyonix to create a new controller.
The ones already on the market do the job very efficiently.
What advantage would there be for Psyonix, to create clones of stuff that's already available, when you can buy the original item(s)?
Everything I've got is off the shelf.
My Elite controller is completely stock, and the mods to my pedals are things like lightened springs, and shortened throws, to make them more comfortable to use for long periods of time.

I can just as easily swap FWD/REV to the second set of under triggers, on my Elite Controller.
That's what I do when I take my laptop to my dad's house.
The pedals are more of a convenience/legacy issue for me because of all the years I played CarBall with them.
NoOne-NBA

Postby ChristianoRivaldo on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:46 pm

What advantage would there be for Psyonix, to create clones of stuff that's already available, when you can buy the original item(s)?

I never said clones of stuff that's already available. I am talking about an original controller for handling a rocket powered car in the most efficient and immersive way.

You can play racing games with a controller just fine. But playing with a proper wheel takes the game to a whole new level.
ChristianoRivaldo
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 pm

ChristianoRivaldo wrote:I never said clones of stuff that's already available. I am talking about an original controller for handling a rocket powered car in the most efficient and immersive way.

What would you do to improve over the Microsoft Elite controller, or the Steam controller though?

All you've said is you'd like more buttons, so you don't have to "claw" the controller.
BOTH of those controllers do exactly that, and each offers additional features not found in the other.

One change I would love to see Psyonix make to the game controls would be to allow head tracking in VR to control the camera.
I'd really love to try that out, and see how it works in-game.

ChristianoRivaldo wrote:You can play racing games with a controller just fine. But playing with a proper wheel takes the game to a whole new level.

I agree with that completely.
I've got a really nice Fanatec setup in my game room too.
NoOne-NBA

Postby littlebigleg on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:19 am

yup VR is the next step
littlebigleg
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: littlebigleg
Region: eu

Return to General Discussion