2 Suggestions that I think could improve Rocket League

How can we improve the game? Let us know right here!

2 Suggestions that I think could improve Rocket League

Postby zAdaptable on Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Suggestion 1
Okay so I believe 95% of people would agree with this but there needs to some sort of competitive rank fix that doesn't allow lower ranks to play with higher ranks. This would decrease the boosting in competitive games as most of my games I get people at my level teamed with friends that are only Silver / Gold rank and its annoying because 90% of the time we lose the game due to the silver / gold player not being able to keep up with the pace of the game.

Suggestion 2
A theatre mode would be pretty cool to see as if there's some clips that people want to share they could upload it here and let the rest of the community see it and possibly get feedback / rate the clips.
zAdaptable
Supersonic

PSN ID: zAdaptable
Region: GMT / EU

Re: 2 Suggestions that I think could improve Rocket League

Postby Doomstrike on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:31 am

For sugestion 2 i have no idea, maybe? I guess with all the options for video clips direct to YouTube or what not that could be an option but would require a lot of work. If by that you are suggesting like an ingame tab sorta like trainning where people can just put up clips for public viewing via short replays sort of thing.

For the first suggestion Psyonix tried putting this in last year back in January or around that. They made it so that if you were champ 1 you couldn't play with anyone in gold. That's a huge rank spread and the community still lost there shit because they were restricting people able to play ranked with friends (This is why I want team ranks and solo ranks. When I play with my plat 3 buddy we can be a diamond team and If we tank that I don't have to worry about it effecting my champ team Champ or higher team.)

Little side tracked but long story short Psyonix rolled it back and you can once again party with people. They also had made it for a glorious 3 weeks where instead of MM the entire team it just went off the highest based ranked player. So if you were gold and your other buddy is silver and your 3rd is a diamond 3 it would rank everyone on your team as diamond 3 and pair you up against that instead of averaging it. Again people lost there shit and it was rolled back.

What did stay in place is that the second you party up with anyone in champ you get paired against champ but anything lower then champ they average it out still.
Doomstrike

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby Scyonite on Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am

1) This doesn't necessarily fix the problem, although it does make it harder to boost. Imagine a D3 and a true GC team up to boost the D3. The GC can use an alt (or throw his rank, for that matter) on the lower boundary and join up with the D3 to boost him/her. Even if there's no rank difference tolerance whatsoever, the GC can still likely boost the D3 to C2, just because his/her rank is not a true rank.

2) There's reddit?
When nothing works - Get silly, but be respectful. Be happy you got matched against me, giving you room to improve!
Scyonite
Expeditious
Expeditious

Steam ID: Scyonite
Region: EU

Postby NoOne-NBA on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am

Doomstrike wrote:(This is why I want team ranks and solo ranks. When I play with my plat 3 buddy we can be a diamond team and If we tank that I don't have to worry about it effecting my champ team Champ or higher team.)

The problem isn't really the system itself, but rather the people who are abusing it.

If people would use their alt-accounts properly, it would create the "team rank" feature you're requesting, while keeping matchmaking more accurate, at the same time.
That would allow you to have a "Plat friend" account, and a "Champ friend" account, which should give you better matches than you are getting with a single account, regardless of who you are playing with.

The problem comes in when players create low-level accounts specifically to boost their equally-ranked friends, regardless of where they actually fall on the overall ladder.
Psyonix implementing rank restrictions isn't really going to fix this problem, even if they implement team rankings at the same time.
It will just reduce it, to some extent.
People will still be making smurf accounts, and keeping those ranked up just far enough to maintain eligibility.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne-NBA-
Region: US-West

Postby Galactic Geek on Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 am

I hate how you casually suggest having alternate accounts should be an acceptable thing. Everyone should get only 1, and that's it, IMO, with the only exception being if you're switching platforms. I have 1, for better or for worse, and it's probably 1,000x more accurate than those using alternate/fake accounts (fracking cheaters)...
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby NoOne-NBA on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:24 pm

Galactic Geek wrote:I hate how you casually suggest having alternate accounts should be an acceptable thing. Everyone should get only 1, and that's it, IMO, with the only exception being if you're switching platforms. I have 1, for better or for worse, and it's probably 1,000x more accurate than those using alternate/fake accounts (fracking cheaters)...

And THAT is a contributing factor to all the crappy matches you are constantly complaining about.

When you play with friends, my guess is you're habitually under-ranked, like I am.
That lets your team stomp the crap out of people until your MMR comes up, at which time you're probably ready to quit for the evening.
When you return the next night, playing solo, your rank is higher than it would be otherwise, which will cause you to struggle, until your MMR comes back down, at which point you're probably ready to quit for the evening.
Rinse and repeat as often as you want...you're not getting the best matches you could, for the majority of the time during those cycles.

If you had separate solo and team MMRs, as Doomstrike is suggesting, you would be lower ranked on the solo one, and getting better matches there, while being higher ranked on the team one, and ALSO getting better matches there, while playing the same queue.
Alt-accounts, when used properly, mimic this effect by allowing the user to have separate, but appropriate MMRs, to cover a wider variety of situations.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Galactic Geek on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:07 am

I'm all for separating solo and team MMRs, just not alternate/fake accounts...
Galactic Geek
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

GamerTag: Galactic Geek
Region: US

Postby gnaL on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:15 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
Galactic Geek wrote:I hate how you casually suggest having alternate accounts should be an acceptable thing. Everyone should get only 1, and that's it, IMO, with the only exception being if you're switching platforms. I have 1, for better or for worse, and it's probably 1,000x more accurate than those using alternate/fake accounts (fracking cheaters)...

And THAT is a contributing factor to all the crappy matches you are constantly complaining about.

When you play with friends, my guess is you're habitually under-ranked, like I am.
That lets your team stomp the crap out of people until your MMR comes up, at which time you're probably ready to quit for the evening.
When you return the next night, playing solo, your rank is higher than it would be otherwise, which will cause you to struggle, until your MMR comes back down, at which point you're probably ready to quit for the evening.
Rinse and repeat as often as you want...you're not getting the best matches you could, for the majority of the time during those cycles.

If you had separate solo and team MMRs, as Doomstrike is suggesting, you would be lower ranked on the solo one, and getting better matches there, while being higher ranked on the team one, and ALSO getting better matches there, while playing the same queue.
Alt-accounts, when used properly, mimic this effect by allowing the user to have separate, but appropriate MMRs, to cover a wider variety of situations.

People don't wanna play vs a team of one bad and one good player. That's why if you team up with a much worse friend, you will get enemies that are only slightly lower than your own rank. It's not perfect, but letting poor plats play vs teams of champ 2 + silver 2 is no good solution.
Ranked is the highly competitive side of RL, and like in any serious competitive sports tournament, teams should consist of equally skilled members. RL still allows you to team up with bad friends for the sake of being able to play with friends, but your rank will get punished.
gnaL
Acrobatic

Steam ID: gnaLor

Postby Tentacles on Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:31 am

Scyonite wrote:1) This doesn't necessarily fix the problem, although it does make it harder to boost. Imagine a D3 and a true GC team up to boost the D3. The GC can use an alt (or throw his rank, for that matter) on the lower boundary and join up with the D3 to boost him/her. Even if there's no rank difference tolerance whatsoever, the GC can still likely boost the D3 to C2, just because his/her rank is not a true rank.

2) There's reddit?

@#2 Fact.

That being said #1 can easily be fixed by making matchmaking go off the highest persons rank when the rank differential is too spread apart. People can still cry about it but at least they can play together.
Tentacles
Fully Garrulous
Fully Garrulous

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:51 am

gnaL wrote:It's not perfect, but letting poor plats play vs teams of champ 2 + silver 2 is no good solution.
Ranked is the highly competitive side of RL, and like in any serious competitive sports tournament, teams should consist of equally skilled members.

But the "solutions" everyone keeps suggesting will only make this problem worse.
That's the part people don't seem to get.
Everyone is quick to throw out "solutions", but reluctant to follow those "solutions" to their logical conclusions.

The counter-move, to any and all of the proposed solutions in this thread is...CREATE MORE ALT-ACCOUNTS.
Psyonix' hands are tied with respect to that.
Sony and Microsoft have both denied Psyonix' request to prevent family share accounts from playing Competitive.
Valve allowed them to do it; but, even there, it only applies to family share accounts.
Neither company can do anything about people willing to pay $12, to buy an additional copy of the game, for each alt-account they want to activate.

If Psyonix put a system into place today, which would require people teaming up to be within 4 divisions of each other, the formerly legitimate Plat/Silver team, that WAS facing teams with two high-Gold players on them, would suddenly be a Bronze/Silver team, facing two high-Bronze players instead.
How is THAT a solution to the current dilemma, rather than an intensification of it?
NoOne-NBA

Postby Doomstrike on Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:10 am

Alt accounts should never be the solution so I disagree, Team rank and solo ranks would fix most of those issues.

Again psyonix implemted the mm taking the highest ranked team mate and pairing against that and people flipped out and after 3 weeks rolled it back
Again psyonix implemented not allowing such high ranked differences and people freaked and rolled it back

None of those worked and more importantly Ranked isn't serious business. Sure you get stuff at the end of the season but most people take it as is but in a game where you have tournaments both ingame and out and have a league play you qualify for THAT'S competitive play.

This version of ranked is hardly even a ladder and you have to remember that the majority of the community isn't high ranked. 80% of the population sits in silver to plat ranks and the ones in diamond and above are the anomoly, this is why the community pushed back so hard on the rank restriction.

People only complain when it effects them. The majority are fine with it and thats why its not a huge outrage. People thought a lot of people were complaining when they added non standard maps to ranked but that amount of complaints was dwarfed by the amount of feed back they got compared to blocking people from playing.

20% against non standard maps complained while the remaining 80 was silent because it never caused them problems so why go to forums or redit to complain about maps
20% wanted ranks restricted and 80% didn't not. This time it was the 80% that were effected and that 80% revolted and when you need people to keep playing and buying xyz you gata please the majority as they are your bread and butter.

With them having added ingame tournaments and soon to be ingame tournaments with prizes that get auto generated I doubt psyonix will ever add something like team MMR and solo MMR because in there mind they will say if you want serious competitive gaming join the tournaments else enjoy ranked (my opinion only)
Doomstrike

PSN ID: Doomstrike
Steam ID: meDoomstrike
Region: Canada West

Postby NoOne-NBA on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:04 am

Doomstrike wrote:Alt accounts should never be the solution so I disagree...

I'm not saying they are THE solution, in and of themselves.

I'm saying they are a major factor most of the other proposed "solutions" fail to account for.
I'm also saying the effects of those accounts mimic the changes you have suggested, in that they allow people to have separate MMRs for separate situations.

The absolute first question Psyonix has to address is, "Why are so many people not playing on their primary accounts?"
Until they solve THAT problem, they will never make any significant progress addressing any of the other problems they are facing.
NoOne-NBA

Return to Suggestions