after all this time.. matchmaking? U_u

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

after all this time.. matchmaking? U_u

Postby lordnoob on Mon May 14, 2018 11:22 am

well i just came here to say that i'm amazed that after 3 years and with so many players the matchmaking is still that stupid in casual.
tried to play today, yeah tried because the game didn't allow me to do so.
i spent about 20 mins on the game and was only matched in:
- already started games with ridiculous scores and only one or no player left in our team (yeah, idk how it's possible but i can make you sure i got matched into a 6-0 game and i was the only player on our team, the last probably left atm i joined).
- 3 randoms vs 3 premades.

Also from other experiences (in casual) than today i can say that:
- there are still unbalanced teams, diamond skill level players vs peops that can't hit an aerial / score own goals / can't rotate.
- it's still full of flamers/trolls.

well let's just say that the casual matchmaking is crap in every possible way.

imo it's legit the leave the match in any of the above cases, which represent easely 90% of the matches you're getting in. so it can lead to 30 min in game without playing sometimes. useless to say that people just leave and go play sth else in those cases.
probably also useless to say that the population is constantly decreasing since early last year. (exception made for some sudden temporary population bumps, probably due to popular streamers?)

so, you're discouraging new players to join due to shit casual matchmaking, you're losing your casual player base and you're even annoying some of the competitive player base.
so, will you react before the game dies (yeah i know if it does it won't be soon, the population decrease is kinda soft, but still) or will you do like other stupid publishers/devs and throw out a flurry of patches once there's no one left?

PS: i'm sorry about my poor english, i hope it will be clear for you.
lordnoob
Acrobatic

Steam ID: Hearth
Region: EU

Re: after all this time.. matchmaking? U_u

Postby dr_canna_bis on Mon May 14, 2018 4:44 pm

time to go.
Last edited by dr_canna_bis on Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
dr_canna_bis
Acrobatic

PSN ID: Dr_Canna_Bis
Region: USA

Postby lordnoob on Mon May 14, 2018 5:09 pm

well, my understanding of english is quite limited so i'm not sure if that's ironic or not x)
in case it is not: new players are bad when they start but they'll get better as they play, without new players the game will die (as it is inevitable that current players will leave the game at some point).
also as i said they're losing their casual players.
and well, they're making at least some competitive players play less, i'm a good example, when i get into rocket league anyday, i need to do some few casual matches to warm up, if i can't i don't play ranked bcs i don't wanna throw a ranked. if the game doesn't allow me to play those casual, i'm just leaving the game and i go play sth else. i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one in this case.
an evidence is the number of threads complaining 'bout casual matchmaking on the forum ^^
lordnoob
Acrobatic

Postby dr_canna_bis on Mon May 14, 2018 6:26 pm

time go go.
Last edited by dr_canna_bis on Wed May 16, 2018 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr_canna_bis
Acrobatic

Postby SIMY on Tue May 15, 2018 1:10 am

Game is losing players to feed the ego of the "tryhard" players. Game is just never getting better anymore.

I tried to even stop coming here because all the posts are negative, and the people who run this don't care. I can't pull people into this game anymore if I tried. FortNite seems to be the place to make cash prize tournaments. I thought here would work. Just to many leave, so much negativity, and no shown activity from admins to help community.

I still play the game though. Yes it's fun. Just not worth the time anymore to come to the community. Nothing here said...helps anything.

Good Luck out there.
SIMY
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hidden
Region: US

Postby lordnoob on Tue May 15, 2018 5:37 am

thank you both for your replies! :)

let's just hope they'll do something before it's too late /:
also, why in the world would they make a "suggestion" section if it's not to read it? i'm pretty sure many people "suggested" them to fix that crappy casual matchmaking U_u
lordnoob
Acrobatic

Postby midnightgreen20 on Tue May 15, 2018 6:55 am

SIMY wrote:Game is losing players to feed the ego of the "tryhard" players. Game is just never getting better anymore.

I tried to even stop coming here because all the posts are negative, and the people who run this don't care. I can't pull people into this game anymore if I tried. FortNite seems to be the place to make cash prize tournaments. I thought here would work. Just to many leave, so much negativity, and no shown activity from admins to help community.

I still play the game though. Yes it's fun. Just not worth the time anymore to come to the community. Nothing here said...helps anything.

Good Luck out there.

I would say that the game is losing players because the grind just isn't really worth it for many people anymore. The more you play the game while the same issues persist, you lose interest. Personally, I've been losing a lot of interest because of the matchmaking. I have been putting time in trying to improve my game in all facets, but constantly get stuck with people who won't do the same. Instead, they make a mistake and immediately blame it on everyone around them. There is only so much of that you can take before you throw in the towel.

I'll also say this... RL is a game you can't have fun with if you are losing, unless playing at the highest levels. What I mean is some games can still be quite exciting and enjoyable regardless of the result of the match. Good fighting games are like this, for example. Another game I think can be fun no matter what is Titanfall 2, because you can get quite creative with the movement system in that game. But in RL a lot of the times being on the losing end can be so dull. You'll have teammates who won't rotate back, so you're stuck sitting in the backfield just pacing around and doing nothing much. Or you'll be in good position for a pass but your teammate just throws the ball away, wasting everyone's time. And to make matters worse, it becomes even more infuriating due to the fact that a lot of the game is out of your control.
midnightgreen20
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: midnightgreen20
Region: United States

Postby dr_canna_bis on Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 am

time to go
Last edited by dr_canna_bis on Wed May 16, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr_canna_bis
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue May 15, 2018 10:27 am

dr_canna_bis wrote:Here is something to ponder: Even if matchmaking is 100% correct, even if it always makes fair matches, if players PERCEIVE otherwise, that perception becomes their reality and they will go elsewhere...

Keeping how MMR is caluclated a secret is a poor business decision.
Not letting players see comparative MMR's after a match is a poor business decision.

And again, I'll point out that YOU are the one keeping yourself in the dark.

All of that information is readily available, from outside the game.
If you want in-game tracking, you picked the wrong platform to play on.
The PC version will show you the MMR for everyone in the match, if you run Alpha Console in conjunction with Rocket League.
It will even show you the resultant changes that were made to each players' MMR, at the conclusion of the current match.
NoOne-NBA

Steam ID: NoOne
Region: USW

Postby Dizzy Boy on Tue May 15, 2018 12:54 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
dr_canna_bis wrote:Here is something to ponder: Even if matchmaking is 100% correct, even if it always makes fair matches, if players PERCEIVE otherwise, that perception becomes their reality and they will go elsewhere...

Not letting players see comparative MMR's after a match is a poor business decision.

The PC version will show you the MMR for everyone in the match, if you run Alpha Console in conjunction with Rocket League.
It will even show you the resultant changes that were made to each players' MMR, at the conclusion of the current match.

Not everyone knows they can look up their mmr on an unofficial web site, let alone think that they can do it. I can't even find any sites that support the Switch for calculating MMR, so no, this isn't a viable option for me and other Switch owners either.
Just a bi of info, knowing how many matches or points we need to reach the next rank may actually make some people think about trying harder if they know they're close to ranking up.
Lastly, not everyone is really into the whole PC master thing either.
If's not just the match making either that's turning people away, there's all the other problems, people scaming in trades, the shit drop rates from crates, people experiencing problems because of the servers, and all the bugs that need to be dealt with, people being toxic in chat, and I'm sure there's more. It's the combo of a whole load of problems that a ruining an amazing game.
Dizzy Boy
Acrobatic

Switch Friend Code: SW-0262-8074-7921

Postby NoOne-NBA on Tue May 15, 2018 2:42 pm

Dizzy Boy wrote:Not everyone knows they can look up their mmr on an unofficial web site, let alone think that they can do it...
I can't even find any sites that support the Switch for calculating MMR...
Just a bi of info, knowing how many matches or points we need to reach the next rank may actually make some people think about trying harder if they know they're close to ranking up.
Lastly, not everyone is really into the whole PC master thing either...

1) I've been telling him the same thing repeatedly, in this case, so he DOES know, yet continues to ignore the facts, and post the same baseless complaints.
2) He's on PS4, so all the data is available to him, if he really wants it.
3) I'm betting it's Nintendo preventing third parties from pulling the MMR data, like they do on all the other platforms.
4) Rocket League Tracker shows "Points to Div Up/Points to Div Down".
5) You can use your phone to track your data, instead of a PC, if you chose to go that route.
NoOne-NBA

Postby Tentacles on Tue May 15, 2018 4:46 pm

I see this complaint daily, Psyonix clearly doesn't care.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby lordnoob on Wed May 16, 2018 4:50 am

well there have (has?) been a lot of things said here.. x)
and i don't agree with most xD (although it is just my opinion)
I don't think seeing your MMR and how it's calculated would help, they need to change the way it's calculated. but well, i don't really mind them for this, because MMR and ranks are always flawed in ANY multiplayer team based games, so i guess no one found the right MMR calculation in this kind of games, we'll just have to get along with that. /: (though i'm pretty lucky, this season i'm right where i should be! :D)
but the subject of the topic was really casual matchmaking, because it is as much important as the competitive matchmaking. (i mentionned why in my previous posts)
and this casual matchmaking is really fcked up.
not being able to fix MMR calculation is a thing, ok, but we can't mind them for this, since atm no one has been able to do so in this kind of games, as far as i know.
but matching 3 randoms vs 3 premades, making people join already started games with a ridiculous score and no one left on your team 5,6,7 or even 8 times in a row, and when you leave those games the matchmaking puts you in the exact same game you've just left... that is something they can fix, and they don't. that is something we can, and should, blame them for imo.
lordnoob
Acrobatic

Postby dr_canna_bis on Wed May 16, 2018 11:05 am

NoOne-NBA wrote:

Oh boy. I want to play a few fun games and need to spend half the night researching the MMR of multiple players on various sites. (assuming I know if they are on X-box, PC, PS, Switch) Sounds like fun! All this to confirm what we already know - matchmaking has inherent problems, and apparently acknowledging those challenges and giving players readily available tools to help them discern their situation is forbidden.

That's the problem with PC elitists..... they seem to think the rest of the world doesn't have a life either. NEWS FLASH - there are actually people in the world who don't want to spend hours being a slave to a keyboard. They just want to play a fun game without research books, 2 screens, $2,000 computers and endless hours nerding the net. Go figure?
dr_canna_bis
Acrobatic

Postby NoOne-NBA on Wed May 16, 2018 12:09 pm

dr_canna_bis wrote:That's the problem with PC elitists..... they seem to think the rest of the world doesn't have a life either. NEWS FLASH - there are actually people in the world who don't want to spend hours being a slave to a keyboard. They just want to play a fun game without research books, 2 screens, $2,000 computers and endless hours nerding the net. Go figure?

And that statement highlights the problem with a lot of console gamers.
You THINK you know considerably more than you do, but are merely parroting what you've heard from other equally clueless people.

The "hours I spend being a slave to my keyboard" is LITERALLY one extra click on my mouse, prior to launching Rocket League.
After that one click, I'm playing all the "fun games I want, without research books, a $2000 computer, or nerding the net", and getting access to all the things you keep saying you want, at the same time.

You waste significantly more time than that, every match you play, waiting for your PS4 to FINALLY load you in, and you're still not getting any of the information you'd like to have in the process.
So, who is the REAL [person trapped in an unhappy place, due to their own choices*] here?

*Edit made at the request of another user.
NoOne-NBA

Postby dr_canna_bis on Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm

NoOne-NBA wrote:
dr_canna_bis wrote:That's the problem with PC elitists..... they seem to think the rest of the world doesn't have a life either. NEWS FLASH - there are actually people in the world who don't want to spend hours being a slave to a keyboard. They just want to play a fun game without research books, 2 screens, $2,000 computers and endless hours nerding the net. Go figure?

And that statement highlights the problem with a lot of console gamers.
You THINK you know considerably more than you do, but are merely parroting what you've heard from other equally clueless people.

The "hours I spend being a slave to my keyboard" is LITERALLY one extra click on my mouse, prior to launching Rocket League.
After that one click, I'm playing all the "fun games I want, without research books, a $2000 computer, or nerding the net", and getting access to all the things you keep saying you want, at the same time.

You waste significantly more time than that, every match you play, waiting for your PS4 to FINALLY load you in, and you're still not getting any of the information you'd like to have in the process.
So, who's the REAL slave here?

Built my first computer decades ago. Clone machine - 8088/86 chipsets with DOS operating system - (back when it was still illegal)
Then 286 machines
then 386 machines
then Windows, on and on and on. It's not that I don't know what I'm talking about, I simply want plug and play. (and realize compared to a dedicated gaming machine, will have limitations)

My PS4 Pro cost $300 new (special sale) and will never be worth less than $200. The typical PC gamer blows much more than that on a GPU that is virtually worthless in a year or two. (assuming it lasts that long)

So you are happy with your computer and I'm happy with my PS4. The issue isn't our systems. The issue is Psyonix keeping the comparative skill levels of competitors secret.
Not sure spending $2,000 on a trick gaming system will change that.
dr_canna_bis
Acrobatic

Postby Tentacles on Thu May 17, 2018 12:06 am

PC will always be better than console, this isn't even something that can be argued. The only argument would be if you enjoy pc or console more.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles

Postby SIMY on Thu May 17, 2018 2:41 am

midnightgreen20 wrote:
SIMY wrote:Game is losing players to feed the ego of the "tryhard" players. Game is just never getting better anymore.

Good Luck out there.

I would say that the game is losing players because the grind just isn't really worth it for many people anymore. The more you play the game while the same issues persist, you lose interest. Personally, I've been losing a lot of interest because of the matchmaking. I have been putting time in trying to improve my game in all facets, but constantly get stuck with people who won't do the same. Instead, they make a mistake and immediately blame it on everyone around them. There is only so much of that you can take before you throw in the towel.

I'll also say this... RL is a game you can't have fun with if you are losing, unless playing at the highest levels. What I mean is some games can still be quite exciting and enjoyable regardless of the result of the match. Good fighting games are like this, for example. Another game I think can be fun no matter what is Titanfall 2, because you can get quite creative with the movement system in that game. But in RL a lot of the times being on the losing end can be so dull. You'll have teammates who won't rotate back, so you're stuck sitting in the backfield just pacing around and doing nothing much. Or you'll be in good position for a pass but your teammate just throws the ball away, wasting everyone's time. And to make matters worse, it becomes even more infuriating due to the fact that a lot of the game is out of your control.

The grind has always been the same for awhile now. It's competition, you must realize you will get mad at times. If you don't...you will hate the grind. I love competition, this game offers so much of it...I don't want to see it go anywhere. Like I said...I love the game, I don't plan to leave it. Just seems many others are.

You can have fun with RL on a comeback, while losing. Or the losing team rally's a comeback...that is GG's. Not 7-1. Don't think you never have done it. :) It's fun. But the competition part of this game will keep you playing. The ones that are usta winning all the time FF while in game or leave while in game...yes comp. Nothing we can do about it. :)

Find me sometime, I'll team up with you and see what damage we can do >)
SIMY
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

Steam ID: hidden

Postby Galactic Geek on Thu May 17, 2018 2:53 am

lordnoob wrote:but matching 3 randoms vs 3 premades, making people join already started games with a ridiculous score and no one left on your team 5,6,7 or even 8 times in a row, and when you leave those games the matchmaking puts you in the exact same game you've just left... that is something they can fix, and they don't. that is something we can, and should, blame them for imo.

PC vs. console aside, the above, IMO, are real issues that should absolutely be addressed, regardless of platform (XB1 FTW!), in order to promote balance and fairness of play within matchmaking. I should not be incentivized to quit early because I entered into a late game with bots against a full party of players knowing that whether I stay or go that it will still count as a loss and negatively effect my MMR for future matches, that in all likelihood, will end the same way... :roll:
Galactic Geek
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

GamerTag: Galactic Geek

Postby NoOne-NBA on Thu May 17, 2018 7:06 am

dr_canna_bis wrote:So you are happy with your computer and I'm happy with my PS4...

You're NOT happy though.
That's the point I keep making.

If you were happy, you wouldn't be complaining all the time.
You'd be playing the game, and having fun with it, like I do.
NoOne-NBA

Next

Return to General Discussion