Rocket League Roadmap: Summer 2018

Any and all discussion relating to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars.

Re: Rocket League Roadmap: Summer 2018

Postby Die DOSE on Fri May 18, 2018 12:07 am

Tentacles wrote:^You never said how the crate/pass items had an actual effect on the game, meaning again they are just cosmetics... You state only the good items are premium, I use painted sparks(free drop), painted octopus(free drop), painted alchemist wheels(free drop) & painted dominus rlcs skin(free drop), so premium vs free is completely subjective(all my crate items are benched except fireworks). Next point, how would you suggest Psyonix make money to keep funding their eSports? If all items are given away for free the eSports scene won't grow. And if you say you don't care about eSports, how do you expect Psyonix to keep providing new content besides making Rocket League 2, 3, 4, etc?

a: i DID say, yes, they are just cosmetics and have no impact on the game. im simply saying, if i pay for something, i want to GET the thing, not pay into some sort of gambling system. and i highly doubt that that is subjective, there is simply no reason to prefer the rocket pass over just straightup buying the things in it immediately for the same price.
b: all the items i wanna have on my car right now are crate items, apart from the dragonhead topper, my wales antenna and... well, a banner: Draco wheels, duelling dragons goal explosion (you might see a pattern emerging here)... i dont know what it was called, just, that warp booster out of... i dunno, just, i want a booster from a crate, then i want the ghost animated decal, maybe the dragon lord octane, and the samurai or the werewolf or the dominus gt...
and thats just if you want a dragon themed set, which incidentally, probably a lot of people want. theres also a lot of people who want white zombas, why do you think those things are worth so much?
as to what alternative system they should use in order to grow... do it like league of legends, or little big planet (okay they dont have esports but they have the business model i support): make all the items for sale individually, maybe even for, like, 1 or 2$ per piece, and an additional one for paint attributes. maybe you can make certain things more expensive, like goal explosions. just, name a fixed price and GIVE ME THE THING I PAY MONEY FOR.
and if youre gonna tell me that lol has lootboxes as well, yes, but they had esports BEFORE the lootboxes got introduced, and that didnt seem to stop them from putting huge prize pools out. also, i dont care about esports, but yee, thats not an argument here.
and i get that me wanting to only have the premium items is a subjective oppinion, but i also know that its a popular oppinion. literally every player i see in games has at least one crate / decrypted item, even i use one of my decrypted items regularly. you cant deny that more effort went into those items than into the base ones, of course many people want to have them.
and i see how a lot of people might be pissed off if the trade system got... well, removed. and i can understand that. personally i think it shouldnt have been in the game to begin with, at least not with items you get from crates, but now its probably too late to remove the crates. still, i think we can all agree that rocket leage very definitely DOESNT need a content pass system. people pay shtloads of money for the crates, its why every game nowadays is pulling this stunt.

TLDR: yes, they are only cosmetic.
they are objectively better than standard items, and they also have themes that base items dont, or at least, not a lot of, therefore being more enticing than others.
they are all hidden behind gambling, so you never get the exact item you want, at least not without paying a shtton.
they could monetize themselves by making all the items for purchase individually, or at least, all the NEW items.
i can see how its too late to remove crates, but i also dont see a reason to support any more monetization schemes which dont just involve "pay money - get item"
5 reasons to get a signature:
1: to send random people a message
2: to annoy people with dumb statements
3: to seem famous
4: to walk with the crowd
5: to make a list of reasons why you should get a signature
that last one was obvious.
Die DOSE
Acrobatic

Postby Tentacles on Fri May 18, 2018 4:47 am

But one of your major complaints was the rocket pass, crates are subjective and I personally stay away from RNG. However, the rocket pass are items anyone can get for a small seasonal fee. Also, the items are known before buying the pass so you can know if you want to get it or not. I just don't know how you can oppose both crates and season pass and expect Rocket League to grow to the size of League of Legends.
Tentacles
Exceptionally Loquacious
Exceptionally Loquacious

Steam ID: Tentacles
Region: United States

Postby Die DOSE on Fri May 18, 2018 11:28 am

Tentacles wrote:But one of your major complaints was the rocket pass, crates are subjective and I personally stay away from RNG. However, the rocket pass are items anyone can get for a small seasonal fee. Also, the items are known before buying the pass so you can know if you want to get it or not. I just don't know how you can oppose both crates and season pass and expect Rocket League to grow to the size of League of Legends.

i never said i expect rocket league to grow to the same size as league of legends
i never said that the rocket pass is, in itself, rng
what im saying is, if you pay for an item, you should GET an item. with the rocket pass you pay for the opportunity to WORK for an item, which is absolutely pointless for both psyonix and the player, unless they are looking for more ways to monetize the same system.
plus, no, crates are NOT subjective. if you had the opportunity to either buy an item, or buy a crate for the same price in which the item COULD be, but is mixed in with random crap items, you would never go for the crate, i hope i dont have to explain why. yes, in rocket league theres the whole trading system attached to it, THERE you surely can say that its subjective, whether you think the crates are a price youre willing to pay for this market that has evolved, but the thing is, there already are ways in the game to get random items without paying. the player only has a very small advantage from a crate system, if at all.
oh, and, friendly reminder: league of legends doesnt have a content pass either. even if i did expect rocket league to grow to the size of league of legends during... season 5 or so, it wouldnt be too far fetched. i simply put LOL as an example there to show that selling individual items can very easily keep a game afloat. also, League is free. rocket league isnt. which means it has a... headstart, you might say.
again, not saying it will. just saying it could, at least in theory.

again: what pisses me off about the rocket pass is, precisely:
you dont get the stuff immediately.
reason for that is, most likely, further planned monetization for items you already paid for.
we as players have nothing to gain from this. they wont use the money to improve the game, they have enough cash to last for probably decades, and the'll STILL pump out new crates, so it will keep going. letting this just pass without any backlash will simply justify their greed and they'll keep going. not only them, but other games will do it as well. selling us stuff without actually giving it to us.
5 reasons to get a signature:
1: to send random people a message
2: to annoy people with dumb statements
3: to seem famous
4: to walk with the crowd
5: to make a list of reasons why you should get a signature
that last one was obvious.
Die DOSE
Acrobatic

Previous

Return to General Discussion