Weird lag/controller input /car becomes slowed down

Where the community helps the community! Post any technical issues you experience here.

Re: Weird lag/controller input /car becomes slowed down

Postby Hudson on Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 am

Has anyone looked into if it's a freesync / gsync problem?

I know ppl have said that the game feels better for a little while alt tab including myself. And I've also been playing on another monitor I got a few days ago - this one : https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=4980341. I've been playing on https://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=3410310 before that and it was pretty much always bad but with the new one I've felt an improvement by switching gsync on and off. Has anyone tried playing on an older monitor without todays technology?
Last edited by Hudson on Wed May 15, 2019 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hudson
Acrobatic

Re: Weird lag/controller input /car becomes slowed down

Postby Cyanyde_Fox on Tue May 14, 2019 11:31 pm

Okay so this is going to be a REALLY long post. But. I believe I may have found a potential solution, or at least something that should make a decent improvement. Please note this will only be for PC/Steam and may not work for everyone. But doing these steps my game is playing the best I can remember for a very long time.

DISCLAIMER: THIS WILL LOSE YOUR SAVED REPLAYS AND POTENTIALLY YOUR INGAME SETTINGS. BACK UP EVERYTHING YOU CARE ABOUT BEFORE ATTEMPTING AND TAKE SCREENSHOTS OF ANY IN GAME SETTINGS YOU CARE ABOUT e.g VIDEO/CAMERA.

So I believe that HCB, at least on PC, is caused by some bad settings in your steam config which also happen to restore themselves, hence why this issue continues after reinstalling the game/windows/drivers/different controllers/ISPs and everything else that's been tried before.

So there's quite a few steps to this process. I'm going to include everything I've done because none of them individually has made the same impact that all of them have together.

Step 1: Deleting old steam controller support configs.

So I was put onto this by this reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/9az1p5/have_you_ever_enabled_xboxps4_configuration/

Basically if you have ever enabled steam controller support, for ANY controller, on your steam account, follow the steps in that post. Essentially this removes any influence that steam should be having and makes sure the game is only using its native support for controller inputs. Obviously though, if you do use steam controller support, you probably don't want to do this step.

Step 2: Deleting old steam cloud content.

Okay so this step I believe is one of the main things that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, although people have discussed tuning off steam cloud before. That by itself did not make any difference for me, the improvement only came when I deleted the old steam cloud save data also.

The steps to do this can be found here: https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/102694/is-there-a-quick-way-to-delete-saves-off-of-the-steam-cloud

I've found that tutorial to mostly work but it was a little buggy for actually getting the cloud sync dialogue to come up for me, so my steps looked something like:
-Ensure steam cloud for RL is turned off in game properties (right click RL in steam library, properties, updates, uncheck steam cloud)
-Start RL and quit once it gets to main menu (this will ensure a new save file is generated)
-Exit steam
-Browse to the location shown in that post and delete the folder for RL, 252950 ([STEAM INSTALL DIR}/userdata/YOUR ID)
-Start steam and browse to RL properties, turn cloud sync back on and attempt to run the game

You should now get the dialogue asking whether you want to overwrite the steam cloud files with the newer ones from your PC. VERY IMPORTANT YOU DO NOT CLICK ANYTHING YET.

-After the dialogue appears, DO NOT CLICK EITHER OPTION
-Browse to documents/my games/rocket league/TAGame/savedata/DBE_PRODUCTION and delete all files there
-Now go back to steam and click the second option in the dialogue to overwrite the old steam cloud data (and since we just deleted the save files theres nothing new to upload)

Now we want to ensure no new files get uploaded. So before the game starts if possible (it takes quite a while for the game to start the first time you click the overwrite option) you want to go back into properties for RL and turn cloud sync back off. If you cant do that fast enough mash alt+f4 as the game starts to force it to instantly quit before making any new save files and then turn cloud sync back off.

This is the desired result: Image

See how it shows 0 bytes stored? That's what we're aiming for. Ensure you keep cloud sync off so that no new files get uploaded once you manage to do this correctly. PLEASE NOTE THIS PROCESS MAKE TAKE A FEW TRIES TO GET RIGHT.

Step 3: Force off steam per-game input

Fairly self explanatory, the first screen in the RL properties has a dropdown at the bottom that you want set to forced off as shown

Step 4: New config files

So following the solution posted in the comments here: https://www.reddit.com/r/RocketLeague/comments/9rvuzg/input_lag_on_a_specific_steam_account_heavy_car/

Download the config files in the reddit post that links to, and ensure that you change your screen resolution in them to correct one. Then move them to the correct directories as detailed in the post, right click>properties>unblock file, then again right click>properties and tick read only for both.

Step 5: Delete the RL entry from localconfig.vdf

Again this is taken from the previous reddit post linked. And again I've never seen this mentioned anywhere and had never heard of this until that post. The images attached in that post show an entry with RL's id (252950) in the localconfig.vdf file stored in steam/userdata/YOUR ID/config for the BAD FEELING ACCOUNT. Mine was something like "template" "xbox360_template.vdf"

**AND THIS ENTRY CAME BACK EVERY TIME I STARTED STEAM OR RL, EVEN THOUGH I HAD STEAM PER GAME INPUT FORCED TO OFF AS SHOWN IN THE PREVIOUS STEP.**

This entry was also NOT PRESENT in the file for my alt account which has always felt better than my main for ~2 years by now.

You're going to want to delete the entry for RL under the controller_config heading (ctrl+f "252950" until you get to it, remove the entire section so that it's just the IDs left that were above and below it) and once that's done SET THE FILE TO READ ONLY AS THIS COMES BACK BY ITSELF EVERY TIME YOU START STEAM/RL.

ALSO NOTE THAT SETTING LOCALCONFIG.VDF TO READ ONLY WILL PREVENT ANY CHANGES YOU MAKE TO STEAM, e.g. SERVER DOWNLOAD LOCATION/DOWNLOAD CAP/FAMILY SHARING ETC. FROM SAVING. SO EVERY TIME YOU CHANGE SOMETHING TO DO WITH STEAM FIRST TAKE THIS FILE OFF READ ONLY, MAKE THE CHANGE, RESTART STEAM, DELETE THE RL ENTRY AGAIN AND RE-SET IT TO READ ONLY.

This is also why we do this last once cloud sync has been disabled and per game input forced off .

Step 6: Start RL and fix any in game settings that have been changed

Since we deleted all the save data for the game this may reset some settings in game. For me it resets FPS cap and a few video settings but camera/control settings are preserved, this may not be the same for you, hence why I said back up everything at the start.

Since doing all of the above in roughly that order my game is feeling a lot better. To be honest it's been so long that I don't even remember what the game is meant to feel like exactly, but it's definite improvement for sure. Hope this helps some of you.

EDIT: to be clear this may not fix HCB entirely. I definitely think the servers are also at fault for some of the slowness as like many of you I've have noticeable improvement at ~3-4am GMT compared to peak evening times. However with these steps my car feels a lot better even in freeplay so I do think these also impact HCB
Cyanyde_Fox
Acrobatic

Steam ID: cyanyde_fox

Previous

Return to Help and Support