Differences in Vehicles - (up to DeLorean)

Any and all discussion relating to Rocket League. Post feedback and suggestions here!

Differences in Vehicles - (up to DeLorean)

Postby Tamoketh on Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:13 pm

DISCONTINUED:
If you keep coming here or find this somehow, note that I've stopped updating this spreadsheet/topic. Others have been getting more precise stats and hidden stats too.

So with talks of possible differences I tried a few different tests and setups. I did tests with different vehicles and setups, I didn't record all of it, but here are some of the results I've gotten.

--------------------------------------===========================--------------------------------------

Spreadsheet:
I've compiled the results into a chart-like format to view it in a more visual fashion and to make it easier to compare the vehicles. If you don't want to watch all the videos or scroll to the specific sections below, please check it out for the quicker access to the information. This will also be kept more up to date than the various other sections in the topic.
Spreadsheet link: Rocket League - Vehicle Stats

Also, for any of the videos for the various testing done for these comparisons, check out my YouTube channel: Tamoketh
--------------------------------------===========================--------------------------------------

Below is the color code used:
Results differ greatly between vehicles tested.
Results differ slightly between vehicles tested.
Results seemed the same between vehicles tested.
Results were the same between vehicles tested.
Test to perform in the future.

NOTE: Please be sure to comment on other tests you might want to have done or post videos here if you test some of these yourself.

Summary
1) Power Sliding
2) Hit Box - Ball Hit
3) Hit Box - Kick Off
4) Turning Radius/Speed
5) Hit Box - Dimensions

6) Vehicle Weight for Flying
7) Hit Box - Dribbling

8) Normal Acceleration/Max Speed
9) Boosting Acceleration/Max Speed
10) Super Sonic Speed
11) Impact Test
12) Dodging

13) Random

Upcoming
Claims of "vehicle mass" (Breakout/Takumi [Light], Paladin/Merc [Medium] and Dominus/SweetTooth [Heavy], hitting into another vehicle)

Results

1) Power Sliding
For this test I had the vehicles boost until they hit Super Sonic, let go of boost, then after a time simultaneously press and hold the Power Slide (square) button and either left or right. I kept the Power Slide and the analog stick pressed fully for a few seconds to see the full pattern. (Click on the names below for the video)
NOTE: The tiers listed are simply my personal opinion and interpretation.

Suck Tier: Merc
Loose Tier: Paladin ~ Backfire ~ Octane ~ Sweet Tooth ~ Takumi
Mid Tier: X-Devil ~ Gizmo ~ Venom
Tight Tier: Breakout ~ Hotshot ~ Road Hog ~ Dominus

2) Hit Box - Ball Hit
This is a simple test to see how the ball behaves when being hit head on by the vehicles. Some of the vehicles I did multiple tests to make sure the results were the same, but only included one of the videos here. All videos were done from the center starting position with R2 held with no boosts or jumps.
Short Tier: Backfire ~ Breakout ~ Hotshot ~ Paladin ~ Dominus
Mid Tier: Gizmo ~ Octane ~ Road Hog ~ Sweet Tooth ~ Venom ~ X-Devil ~ Takumi
Tall Tier: Merc

3) Hit Box - Kick Off
I've changed this section because instead of doing a few tests that would be fairly obvious of the results, I decided to have it be more constructive. So I have a test showing the trajectory of every vehicle that collides with the ball from the start, but that hit box information isn't the only thing that's useful. So, I did head to head kick off tests with most of the combination of vehicles. I won't add the videos as that's a LOT of them (16 so far and I'm only about half done), but I will list their results. This information is having all the vehicles going head to head and seeing which one prevails over the other. The vehicle farther to the right of the line below is the one that will be the winner in the match-up (they'll hit the ball forward over the other vehicle). I'm not only surprised for the ones that are the same head-to-head, but also surprised at how some (Octane) win over others (Road Hog and Merc).
LOSER:: Paladin < Takumi < Dominus < Hotshot < Venom = Backfire = Road Hog < X-Devil < Breakout < Merc < Octane = Gizmo < Sweet Tooth ::WINNER

4) Turning Radius/Speed
So, I thought this was the same, but in my folly I didn't test it enough. After doing more testing I noticed differences in the Turning Radius/Speed. So I'll be going through and testing this for every vehicle. Similar to the testing and videos done for the Hit Box - Kick Off, there are a LOT of videos that will be taken, so I won't include them all here. If there's enough request for them, I might chop them all together somehow.
Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHbTaAKy4Oo
WIDE:: Backfire < Venom < Paladin < Merc < X-Devil < Gizmo < Road Hog < Octane < Takumi < Dominus < Breakout < Hotshot < Sweet Tooth ::TIGHT

5) Hit Box - Dimensions
Okay, for this one I did a number of different things and took videos or screenshots of various tests. I took shots of a few vehicles (Dominus, Venom, Merc and Takumi) and had them on their backs, fronts, tops and sometimes sides as well. The video is cut from one vehicle colliding with another to see where the boundaries of the hit boxes were with some shots of a vehicle colliding with the ball to see if things were the same. It didn't seem to be the case, but the ball has a much larger hit box than the vehicles and the behavior for it might be different as well. Lastly, I took screenshots from about the same angle of every vehicle on their roof to judge how high the hit boxes were from the bottom of the wheels to where their roof would (roughly) touch the ground. I used highly analytical skills with very expensive tools... okay, I used photoshop and drew lines, you happy :cry: ? Anyways... here are the results:
So basically in the image above, the numbers associate to the vehicles the following way: [1] X-Devil, [2] Venom, [3] Takumi, [4] Sweet Tooth, [5] Road Hog, [6] Paladin, [7] Octane, [8] Merc, [9] Hotshot, [10] Gizmo, [11] Dominus, [12] Breakout, [13] Backfire
I'll also include the images I used below so you can look at them and make your own conclusions about what this means. Keep in mind that this is just the overall height of the hit box itself when it comes to ground collision and it doesn't mean it'll react the same colliding with the ball or other vehicles.
Video - Collision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AKH5NtWcLw
Images - Dominus: Back, Front, Side 1, Side 2, Top
Images - Venom: Back, Front, Top
Images - Merc: Back, Front, Side [1], Top
[1] Notice how weirdly the Merc sits when on its side?
Images - Takumi: Back, Front, Top
Images - Hit Box Height: (in order from tallest to shortest) Sweet Tooth, Merc, Gizmo, Octane, X-Devil, Road Hog, Hotshot, Backfire, Dominus, Venom, Breakout, Takumi, Paladin

6) Vehicle Weight for Flying
Someone had said that the vehicles had different weights, particularly when flying in the air. So I set up a simple test: Play each vehicle with the same setup (except Sweet Tooth of course), drain boost and gather it back up to 24 (two pickups), position inside the goal for a good wall comparison, stand on back and lift-off! If you pay attention to the back wheels (I know it's hard to see from the angle), they all seem to rise about the same.
Video Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEnTo1Enrw0

7) Hit Box - Dribbling
This was a test suggested by Mr_luvaluva to see if the hit box of different vehicles allowed them to dribble the ball easier or not. By dribbling it wasn't to say bouncing the ball in the air, but rather trying to "carry" the ball on the roof of the vehicle. I'm not good at dribbling (as evidenced in the videos), but I gave it a shot with the Paladin, Octane and Merc. They all seemed to behave the same, but as I said, I'm not very good at it.
Vid: (Dribbling: Paladin / Octane / Merc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80p-T0XO5Kc
GIF: (From Conalmcl9 on Reddit: Venom) http://gfycat.com/GaseousEducatedAmazondolphin

8) Normal Acceleration/Max Speed
Simply: I had both vehicles set their front wheels at about the same line and press the gas at about the same time. We were far apart, but you can see the speed is the same. This was tested with other vehicles and the results were always the same, but I only kept one of the videos.
Vid: (Normal: Paladin vs Merc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k42M8SNR4pU

9) Boosting Acceleration/Max Speed
Same idea as above: both start at the same line, both press the gas (R2) and boost (Circle) at the same time and we see what happens.
Vid: (Boosting: Paladin vs Merc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioGVKHXWeiU
Vid: (Boosting: Octane vs Merc) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xybfKF1jpNE

10) Super Sonic Speed
A test to see if the speed while going Super Sonic was the same between vehicles. On another note (as shown in the bonus video), as soon as you hit Super Sonic you can stop boosting and still maintain going Super Sonic (purple streaks behind the wheels) as long as you don't slow down too much (turn too sharply, let go of gas, hit someone, etc).
Vid: (Super Sonic: Paladin vs Venom) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zkp6pWEr3c
Bonus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20KjLvmZywQ

11) Impact Test
A simple little vehicle on vehicle impact test. I had the two tests done at about the same distance, no boost and more or less in a straight line.
Vid - Merc: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWAXxRuGls
Vid - Paladin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvpXW86xog

12) Dodging
Test for dodge distance between vehicles. Both had the analog stick all the way in the same direction with X double-tapped quickly.
Vid - Front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIzXiwaeEtg
Vid - Side: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIDA9uxi07U
Vid - Back: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gqS_xTfpdU

13) Random
This is just a random section for various things I've tested that don't really have to do with vehicle comparisons.
Boosts replenish when over them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVUrrm8aKOs
You can fly slow and cross the field: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOmnnAa25xY
Last edited by Tamoketh on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:57 am, edited 42 times in total.
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

PSN ID: Tamoketh
Region: US

Re: Differences in Vehicles - Power Slide Only

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:43 am

I moved the videos around as I noticed that the Super Sonic test video was mixed up with the Boosting test between the Paladin and Merc. In the proper video (now corrected) you can see that the Rainbow Boost stops after going Super Sonic yet the speeds stay the same.

If people think there might be any other differences, I can test and record them to either confirm or debunk them.
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby 4UDIOTAPE on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:47 am

Wow, that is actually a bigger difference than I thought!
Thank you for doing this (:
4UDIOTAPE
Acrobatic

PSN ID: AUDIOTAPE
Steam ID: Guz9o
Region: EU

Postby V8-Zulu on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:12 am

Tamoketh wrote:
On another note, as soon as you hit Super Sonic you can stop boosting and still maintain your speed.
Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zkp6pWEr3c

First of all, thanks a lot for doing this! I think it's remarkably nice to know that you don't have to boost anymore once you hit supersonic speed.

I had the feeling that there is a difference in accelaration and top speed but there obviously isn't. I still wonder whether there are differences in damage (speed needed to destroy opponents / resistance), jump height, width when jumping sidewards etc.
V8-Zulu
Acrobatic

PSN ID: V8-Zulu

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 am

V8-Zulu wrote:
Tamoketh wrote:
On another note, as soon as you hit Super Sonic you can stop boosting and still maintain your speed.
Vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Zkp6pWEr3c

First of all, thanks a lot for doing this! I think it's remarkably nice to know that you don't have to boost anymore once you hit supersonic speed.

I had the feeling that there is a difference in accelaration and top speed but there obviously isn't. I still wonder whether there are differences in damage (speed needed to destroy opponents / resistance), jump height, width when jumping sidewards etc.

Although I didn't record them, I did do more tests.

-I tested all the vehicles with normal jump height and double jump height and there is no difference between them.
-I tested all the vehicles with general flying (angle needed to maintain height, speed when flying, etc) and they are the same.
-I tested general strength when hitting the ball and they seemed to be the same.

I didn't test the hit boxes because that might be a little hard to verify, but I could still play around and try to test it.
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby neo1805 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:42 am

I will test the time to angle the circle sze when try to do a 360° (not a flip but driving).

Duty : Do everything to make Rocket League an even better place!
neo1805
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: neo_1805_
Region: FRANCE/ITALIA

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:45 am

neo1805 wrote:I will test the time to angle the circle sze when try to do a 360° (not a flip but driving).

Sorry, but what?
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby V8-Zulu on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:26 am

Tamoketh wrote:
-I tested all the vehicles with normal jump height and double jump height and there is no difference between them.
-I tested all the vehicles with general flying (angle needed to maintain height, speed when flying, etc) and they are the same.
-I tested general strength when hitting the ball and they seemed to be the same.

I didn't test the hit boxes because that might be a little hard to verify, but I could still play around and try to test it.

Cheers again! I'm actually a bit sad that the cars have no bigger difference but hey, better balancing I guess ;)
V8-Zulu
Acrobatic

PSN ID: V8-Zulu

Postby Emu Prime on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:39 am

Tamoketh wrote:
neo1805 wrote:I will test the time to angle the circle sze when try to do a 360° (not a flip but driving).

Sorry, but what?

He means he's going to test turning radius without powersliding, which is something I'm curious about as well. From what Psyonix said, I had already figured that all that other stuff was the same (speed, jump height, etc.). The one thing besides hitboxes that they confirmed was different was turning radius, so I'd like to see how much difference there really is.
Emu Prime
Acrobatic

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:43 am

Emu Prime wrote:
Tamoketh wrote:

Sorry, but what?

He means he's going to test turning radius without powersliding, which is something I'm curious about as well. From what Psyonix said, I had already figured that all that other stuff was the same (speed, jump height, etc.). The one thing besides hitboxes that they confirmed was different was turning radius, so I'd like to see how much difference there really is.

Ahh, okay. I can test that tonight if neo doesn't.

I have some ideas of how to check the hit boxes to a point, between the Paladin and the Merc. I don't know if it'll work, but it's worth a shot...
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby Dalzar on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:48 am

Well done for doing this! It is great to see people testing out the differences between the vehicles. I have seen a lot of posts about this and we are seeing people actually finding the differences! Well done :D
Dalzar
Community Helper
Community Helper

Steam ID: Dalzar

Postby Emu Prime on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:50 am

I think the best way to look at the difference in hitboxes is to hit the ball from a fixed distance without jumping. Taller cars should have a flatter shot than the short ones.
Emu Prime
Acrobatic

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:59 am

Dalzar wrote:Well done for doing this! It is great to see people testing out the differences between the vehicles. I have seen a lot of posts about this and we are seeing people actually finding the differences! Well done :D

Thanks. :)

Emu Prime wrote:I think the best way to look at the difference in hitboxes is to hit the ball from a fixed distance without jumping. Taller cars should have a flatter shot than the short ones.

Basically this. I was going to setup a 1v1 match with the Merc on one side and the Paladin on the other. Get the straight on shots and have the Merc charge the ball full speed, then next time have the Paladin charge the ball and one last time with both going evenly.

I was also going to try to pin the ball between the two vehicles and see how it's colliding with them.
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Re: Differences in Vehicles - Testing and Comparisons

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Did more tests and updated the first post.
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby SeanNolan5 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Impressed
SeanNolan5
Legendarily Voluble
Legendarily Voluble

PSN ID: b4_sunrise

Postby Tamoketh on Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:33 pm

SeanNolan5 wrote:Impressed

:banana:
Tamoketh
Battle-Car
Battle-Car

Postby SteveBob on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:03 pm

Cool stuff. Do we know exactly how the hitbox height works though? For the Paladin and the Merc to have similar size boxes you'd surely have to have the Merc's ending below the top of the roof or have the Paladin's ending above its roof.
SteveBob
Supersonic

PSN ID: SteveBob7

Postby shadowfyren on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:43 pm

Thanks, great information!

For the powerslide tests what is the right part of the video is showing, just general handling during slides?
shadowfyren
Supersonic

Postby DaMaysta on Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:46 pm

Nice summary, thanks for dong this! Marking this post for the future!
Editor of Rocket League Studio
DaMaysta
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: DaMaysta

Postby neo1805 on Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:03 am

Emu Prime wrote:
Tamoketh wrote:

Sorry, but what?

OMG how did you understand that well what I wanted to say?!!
Personnaly reading what I wrote, i can't ^^

Bug yes It was what I wanted to say.

Sorry Guys, I couldn't test it yesterday, maybe tonight

that they confirmed was different was turning radius

Really?!! Where! I could bet on it!!

First time i changed car, it was like "What? Is there a prob with joystick?""

If i remember well it was after playing a lot with venom or octane and then i tried the breakout.

I saw your vid beetween paladin and merc, i have to admit they look pretty similar!

Duty : Do everything to make Rocket League an even better place!
neo1805
Rocket-Powered
Rocket-Powered

PSN ID: neo_1805_
Region: FRANCE/ITALIA

Next

Return to General Discussion