OFFICIAL FAQ: READ BEFORE POSTING!

Any and all discussion relating to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars.

I can't play online

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 pm

I can't play online

See the section about setting up your PS3 router. Also try checking your internet connection, making sure you have a strong signal if wireless, and try without the router if possible.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

PSN ID: Psyonix-Jerad
Region: US/EU

Voice quality is bad, choppy or repeating

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:58 pm

Voice quality is bad, choppy or repeating

We use GameSpy for voice. Most of the time the quality is fine, but randomly it will be choppy or repeat everything you say. One game it might be perfect and the next terrible. We are made some tweaks to the way it works hoping to improve it, but can't find a cause. It does not seem to be related to the kind of headset, or lag, or anything else. Maybe it just didn't like the look on your face....
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Will there be any updates in the future?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:04 pm

Will there be any updates in the future?

Yes! We are excited about releasing as many updates as we can. As long as people are playing, we will keep adding to the game, and fixing whatever issues come up.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Can you tell us anything about new features or content comin

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:07 pm

Can you tell us anything about new features or content coming in a future update?

We like to keep these kinds of things under wraps until the update is about to come out. This is mostly so we don't get 50 million questions about how amazing it's going to be, or comments about what should be changed. These kinds of comments make our artists cry.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Will there be any more arenas/cars?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 pm

Will there be any more arenas/cars?

We release arenas in every update, for free. Cars would be nice, but currently there are no plans for more cars. This could change at any time, though, so stay tuned!
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

What about themes, backgrounds, avatars and other PS3 media?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:10 pm

What about themes, backgrounds, avatars and other PS3 media?

We are not currently working on any additional content for the game. This can change at any time, so stay tuned! :cheesygrin:
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Rumble doesn't work anymore

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:12 pm

Rumble doesn't work anymore

Rumble is working fine. The setting was somehow turned off in the first update. We still aren't sure how that happened, but turning it back on works just fine! You can find this in the System Options menu.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Where can I find the music you used for the game?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Where can I find the music you used for the game?

All the tracks are available at http://www.audionetworkplc.com. You can preview or purchase.

Track List:

Ave It
Boozy Nights
Brainsucker
Concrete Jungle
Down Hill Racer
Euphoric Ascension
Mash Dem Up
Massive
Inside Job
Mekanoid
Plague
Velocity Curve
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Set up your router for your PS3

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:17 pm

Set up your router for your PS3

First, I recommend going to www.speedtest.net on your PC connected to the same router your PS3 is connected to. Use this site to test your connection speeds. This sets up a baseline for comparisons elsewhere. You can try it a few times to get a good average.

Once you've got that, do the same thing on your PS3. Use the web browser to open the same site and choose the same test locations, and do it a few times. In my testing, my home PC was about always faster downloading than the PS3, who knows why.

When I first started, I was getting 26x faster on my PC. So, I jumped in to my router settings. If you don't know how to do this, check your vendor's site, they will often have specific instructions on how to access your router's management software.

:!: If your router has any QoS settings, turn them OFF. QoS usually does NOT work at all, and believe it or not, your router has a CPU in it and it's not very fast, and everything your router does to your packets affects it's speed. This option can usually be found around the wireless settings.

:arrow: QoS is an advanced feature that can be used to prioritize some internet applications and on-line gaming, and to minimize the impact when the bandwidth is busy. When I turned this off, it quadrupled my speed scores. This option can usually be found with the wireless settings.

:!: If your router has Wi-Fi Multi-media (WMM) Settings, disable those also. Again, this is similar to QoS in that it doesn't work. Turn it off.

:arrow: When I disabled this, my speed scores doubled again.

:!: If your router has any SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection) Firewall firewall features, I recommend disabling those, since they will slow you down. This can, in theory, reduce the protection of your router, effectively allowing you to get DoS attacked, but how often does that happen? And besides, your router shouldn't be responding to internet ping's anyway. :)

:arrow: I've never allowed this feature to be on, so I've got no comparisons for speed here.

:!: If you have trouble staying connected to PSN, or you find that you can't join games, your router might be messing up NAT traversal (or might not support it). NAT traversal is a special way to allow your PC to connect and play with people over the internet without having to configure your router to forward packets on a specific port range to your PC. It basically says "Dear Router, this packet needs to go this PC!" If this is happening to you, you might have to "Open" or "Disable" NAT filtering, which prevents packets from telling the router where they should go.

:!: You can also put your PS3 in the DMZ (De-Militarized Zone) of your router, this prevents ANY interference by your router.

:!: You could also open ports 28900 (TCP) and 27900 (UDP) for outgoing, and open up 6500, 6501 for unsolicited UDP traffic. These are the most common ports that GameSpy uses for matching, and if NAT traversal isn't working for you, you might need to forward these ports to your PS3.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

How come the custom music doesn't shuffle

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:37 am

How come the custom music doesn't shuffle

It does shuffle. The music player does not automatically shuffle the first song, but to get around this we randomly skip tracks several times before playing the first song. After the first song plays, the next track will shuffle if you have set your playlist to shuffle when you created it.

There may be problems if you don't have a very long playlist (say less than 15 songs), but the song should still be random sometimes.

As a workaround, if you use a blank MP3 as the first "song" in your playlist, and have it set to shuffle, it will start a random song each time.

Here is a link to a .2 second blank MP3 that you can use if you'd like:

http://rapidshare.com/files/158017018/_blank.mp3.html
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Why so few trophies?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Why so few trophies?

There are limitations imposed by Sony on the number of trophies a "small" game can have. That number is 315 points worth of trophies, and are not allowed to have a Platinum trophy. So, we allocated as many trophies as we could with our allotted points. We tried to split them between online and single player. We will try to add more in future updates if we are able.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Why do I not receive a win when the host quits before the en

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Wed May 06, 2009 10:03 am

Why do I not receive a win when the host quits before the end of the match?

This is mostly because the stats are only stored on the host, and when the host leaves, no one is left to report them. Additionally, the GameSpy backend will do a set of validations on the match data received by everyone to determine who is the winner, and without the host this validation will most often fail.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Does it matter which car I choose?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 am

Does it matter which car I choose?

No, all of the cars all have the same general collision box, and same general size (collision wise). There are some subtle differences that are introduced by having the wheels at slightly different spots, some might have an incline and some might ride a bit lower, but in general they are all identical.

We intentionally made them identical, as the physics nature of the game will automatically make subtle differences stand out, and balancing those would be very difficult, and add arbitrary limitations to the physical appearance of the cars.

So in short, no they're not any different, but yes they do tend to behave slightly different :P
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Is there a list of all the awards that you can get?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:46 am

Is there a list of all the awards that you can get?

Yes. See the attached document.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Import/Export Replays

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Import/Export Replays

From the Replays menu, you'll notice a few new options with the Galleon/Stadium update. The option to export replays exists now, which allows you to store the replay as SaveData in your XMB. The Replay is exported with the picture of the map that was played on, and the title and description you gave the Replay in the Replays menu. This serves as a backup for the replay. Once exported, you can safely delete the Replay from the game and record more.

If you ever want to see the Replay again, you can use the Import feature. Select an empty slot from the Replays menu, and press the button indicated for import. This will bring up a list of replays that you can choose from, and show you the description that you gave it. Importing the replay will allow you to view it as normal.

Additionally, this feature can be used to Copy the exported Replay (the SaveData) to a USB drive, and then zip up the folder and send to a friend, or take the USB drive to a friend's house for showing off. Replays can be imported from anyone, and are safe to exchange with friends.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

What can be done about cheaters?

Postby Psyonix-Jerad on Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:41 pm

What can be done about cheaters?

Unfortunately, Psyonix can not ban people from playing online based on here-say. The best we could do is elevate the issue with Sony or GameSpy to have the users account banned or blocked. The best thing for you to do is file a formal complaint with Sony directly, as these will accumulate faster if multiple people report the same person. Sony can then ban the person's account, or even his PS3 from playing on PSN.

To do this, click on one of the links below:

US here.

EU here.
Got balls?
Psyonix-Jerad
Psyonix Developer
Psyonix Developer

Previous

Return to General Discussion